Hacea Coffee Impressions - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by mkane »

I've got to look up roastvision

Capuchin Monk

#22: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Milligan wrote:Roasted another batch of Max Perez today. I've already gone through most of what I roasted before if that is any indication on how much I like it :D

Went with a higher charge this time and took it a bit longer. I tried going a bit faster through drying and extending Maillard but still hitting the same rough temp and development. This is a pretty well behaved coffee.

This is one of two samples that Milligan mailed me this week. I like it. It's got roasted nut tone with cocoa powder flavor. Good with milk based drink.
Thank you again, Milligan.

Advertisement
Milligan (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#23: Post by Milligan (original poster) »

Thanks Capucin. Glad you liked the Guatemalan.

I made another order on Hacea. I wanted to try their cherry fermented Colombian. I've had cinnamon fermented coffee before and it was very on-the-nose cinnamon so I'm curious about the cherry. I also grabbed some more of their Guatemalans and an Indonesian. If anything stands out I'll be sure to chime in here.

wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#24: Post by wingnutsglory »

I just ordered the Colombia Finca Luisa Juan Pablo Tabi after reading so many good things here. Can't wait to try it! I have yet to find an experimental I've really liked a lot, but this sounds really good.

mpdeem
Team HB

#25: Post by mpdeem replying to wingnutsglory »

Hope you enjoy it.

My previous inital introduction to anaerobic coffees were wretched (to my taste preferences - literally tasted like 'bin juice' (fermented fruit juice gone bad,balsalmic vinegar)

Hacea was recommended to me by members here for their balanced well done anaerobic coffees. I was very hesitant to try any more anaerobic/experimental process coffees after my initial expierence. Fortunately I decided to try a few Haccea's experimental selections including the Colombia Finca Luisa Juan Pablo Tabi. every single one of them was excellent with an emphasis on well made balanced coffees as opposed to appealing to the novelty factor. I think this reflects a philosphy of having a smaller but higher quality selection with emphasis on well made coffees as opposed to marketing the latest trendy processed coffees.

definitely report back. I have yet to been able to let my Tabi roasts rest for more than a day - because I keep drinking the entire roast too quickly - the coffee is that good.

mpdeem
Team HB

#26: Post by mpdeem »

Has anyone tried Hacea's Sumatra Wahana Rasuna Natural?

Supporter ❤

#27: Post by Milligan (original poster) replying to mpdeem »

I actually just got a 1lb of that in today to try. I'm impressed with their shipping. I ordered on Friday and it came in today. I'll likely roast it today or tomorrow. I'm not sure how I'll approach it yet. I'll likely shoot for a medium roast.

Advertisement
mpdeem
Team HB

#28: Post by mpdeem replying to Milligan »

Look forward to hearing your impressions. Will be interesting to see if this is one of those Sumatra coffees that shines at both lighter and medium roasts. Seems like the natural and honey processed Sumatra coffees are more versatile regarding roast level than their washed versions - but that may just be me.

Supporter ❤

#29: Post by Milligan (original poster) replying to mpdeem »

Light/medium has been hit or miss with Indonesian for me. The Sulawesi from Happy Mug was very nice and balanced as a light-medium although it lacked some of the unique notes that draw me to Indonesian. I was interested to try this one but looking back at the info, it seems like it is quite old stock for them. Harvest 2020 it says on the site. I didn't see that when ordering. The greens smell nice though.

mpdeem
Team HB

#30: Post by mpdeem »

I was going to recommend Sweet Maria's Sumatra Dry Process Kerinci Pendekar but they are now sold out of it. I placed an their Sumatra Wet Process Ribung Gayo - will report back here when it arrives.

Sweet Maria's get some nice washed and dry process Sulawesi coffees. Their recent Gowa Desa Topidi was fabelous, very sweet with a lot of fruit for a washed coffee. Burman's gets some nice washed Sulawwesi coffees - although in my limited expierence, they tend to be far more subtle in terms of flavor profile than SM's Gowa Desa Topidi.