Hacea Coffee Impressions - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by yakster »

I've been drinking the Costa Rica Hacienda Sonora Caturra Natural that I roasted on Oct 12th over the last two days. This morning I was tempted to drink the last cup out of the morning pot I made and had to restrain myself from depriving my son from his morning cup; it was clean, sweet, and very tasty. I'll be brewing another cup of this today. That's two for two for the coffees that I tried from Hacea.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Milligan (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#12: Post by Milligan (original poster) »

Had a few more days with the Max Perez (5 days post roast.) Between the two, I like the lighter roast a bit more (barely lighter though.). My only complaint is that it tasted a bit on the weak side doing my normal dose for pour over. I went from 20g/300ml to 25g/300ml using the Tetsu method and it brought out more of the chocolates and body but edged just into the bittering after taste. I'd likely dial it back a hair from that. Very enjoyable coffee.

Supporter ❤

#13: Post by Milligan (original poster) »

Roasted another batch of Max Perez today. I've already gone through most of what I roasted before if that is any indication on how much I like it :D

Went with a higher charge this time and took it a bit longer. I tried going a bit faster through drying and extending Maillard but still hitting the same rough temp and development. This is a pretty well behaved coffee.

I've got 3lbs more to play with. I'll likely try a faster dev at a little higher temp next time.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by mkane »

See if you can get max MET closer to 4-5 minutes and keep it there until DEV starts, then taper heat.

Supporter ❤

#15: Post by Milligan (original poster) replying to mkane »

So go in with a little more gas I'm guessing? Probably lower the charge temp if so.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by mkane »

A bit. The Met at the very end of our roasts ends up having a bit of char for the lack of better words.

Supporter ❤

#17: Post by Milligan (original poster) replying to mkane »

Thanks for the tip, I'll be on the look out for that when I try it and I'll compare to my previous roasts too.

Thinking about it more... If MET was reached at 4-5mins then you'd have a negative or zero ETRoR for nearly half the roast. It does make some sense that you'd want to hold ET relatively steady and let BT ease up to reach it. You'd get a natural slowing of BTRoR as the temperature gradient between ET and BT becomes less. As BT rises you need less heat to keep ET the same, hence the taper down in gas. Mulling over a different perspective at handling gas... Step gas down each time as ETRoR approaches 0 if one is to keep ET steady or trending slightly down. Interesting discussion. Perhaps worthy of its own thread or perhaps one already exists. Thanks again.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by mkane »

mkane
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by mkane »

I could be totally off base.

Supporter ❤

#20: Post by Milligan (original poster) »

Thanks for the graphs. I looked through my Rao book last night and found some good info on it. I think I'll start a new thread for that discussion though.

I'm drinking the Max Perez I roasted today. This one seems to be juicier than the past ones but with a bit less chocolate. I don't taste any char but at first blush it isn't as tasty as the last set. It is a 19 on roastvision.