Greens Alert - Page 242

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Chert

#2411: Post by Chert »

Loosely related PSA:

Feb 24 SLC, UT Idle Hands hosts CoE Ecuador 2024 cupping.

If you are in that area, it would be a good way to taste compare a very nice origin. Ecuadorian coffee, yummmm.
LMWDP #198

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#2412: Post by LBIespresso »

Damn, I don't get to SLC until March 2
LMWDP #580

Zaneemomo
Supporter ♡

#2413: Post by Zaneemomo »

There is a new Yemen at Roastmasters. Not much left of what appears to be a small lot.

drgary
Team HB

#2414: Post by drgary »

Thank you. That looks like a single farm lot, recent arrival. It's pricey but I want to compare it with others I've had, and it may well be worth it. I picked up 2 lbs.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

another_jim
Team HB

#2415: Post by another_jim »

Big shout out to Aida Batlle's Finca Kilimanjaro estate blend (SL28, SL34, and Bourbon) natural, currently on sale.

This is close to my idea of a perfect SL28. When you roast it, you'll catch the clove and blackcurrant aromas at the onset of the first crack. The acidity will develop later, about a minute in. So, however light you roast it, you will get those lovely deeper SL28 flavors along with the acidity. The natural processing part comes out as sweetness without any funk.

A lightish roast (dropped as the first crack is tailing off) will give you a laid back brew, and a juicy sweet espresso. Haven't tried a really light roast yet; but that may be the better choice for brewing only. I don't see much reason for going far beyond the first crack, even for espresso only, since the acidity is more than balanced out with sweetness and roast flavors even at the light roast end.
Jim Schulman

aidabatlle
Sponsor

#2416: Post by aidabatlle »

Glad you enjoyed it Jim!

dcbrown1
Supporter ♡

#2417: Post by dcbrown1 »

Just tasted my first roast of this that I did 1 week ago. Just outstanding!

drgary
Team HB

#2418: Post by drgary »

The Yemen single farm lot at Roastmasters was worth the splurge. It's very sweet and complex. I don't have a full taste description because I'm tasting about a week post roast and it needs more time to open up. The beans look evenly sized and culled. I'll keep my eyes open there for other gems like this.

https://www.roastmasters.com/yemen-must ... hasan.html
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!
★ Helpful

carl_694

#2419: Post by carl_694 »

Any suggestions on roast level? I gambled and grabbed 10lbs

sosha
Supporter ♡

#2420: Post by sosha »

I too jumped on the Yemen Bus. Received 5# Wednesday; the greens smelled so yummy. I roasted immediately. I use an Ikawa Home these days, and started at Med ++ (a standard for me). I think it's too dark. I then went a bit lighter on each subsequent roast. After a week, I'll start trying them. IMHO, these unique Yemens need to be kept on the lighter side; otherwise, you loose the complexity of the cup.

I'm working my way thru the spectacular Aida Battle Kili Natural right now....another stellar coffee. SO happy to be able to purchase direct from the farm!!!
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com
★ Helpful