Greens Alert - Page 241

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Sal

#2401: Post by Sal »

I hope you recover fully... soon.

I caught up with the Vid virus late last year. It was milder than the flu I have experienced before, but still have a lingering cough that I can't get rid of. I have seen my PCP and went through a round of prednisone, but that did not help much. In the meantime, I have not had coffee for almost two months. It is not that I can't taste coffee, but with a cough and irritated throat, coffee is just not very soothing. I have been mainly drinking black and green tea.
I am a home-roaster, not a home-barista...

littlenut

#2402: Post by littlenut »

TomC wrote:<SNIPPAGE> I caught covid recently and cant taste a thing.
Sorry to hear that, Tom.

I had the same problem ~4 years ago. Recouped from the other sypmtoms pretty quickly, but the taste/smell problems lasted ~6-8 months as far as coffee was concerned. I still made the morning coffee for us, but didn't enjoy it very much during that time. I was so relieved when the taste/smell returned enough to enjoy coffee.

Keepin' My Fingers Crossed For Ya,
-Tom

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#2403: Post by mgrayson replying to littlenut »

God, that was a bad time. Coffee had no taste. It was just warm. After a month, the only thing I could taste was roquefort, so I ate a lot of it for a few more months. It was such a good day when it turned revolting!
Matt

wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#2404: Post by wingnutsglory replying to mgrayson »

Been there too! Hope the recovery is swift!!

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#2405: Post by Milligan »

Bummer about the covid! I had that happen too a year ago or so. Only thing I could taste was the Paxlovid :( Slowly regained taste and smell after a week. Here is to a swift recovery!

TomC
Team HB

#2406: Post by TomC »

thanks all, i already feel like im on the rebound. felt symptomatic on saturday night, tested positive sunday morning and was positive and already as i write this i feel about 50 % back or better in terms of symptoms and taste. i'd rather close off further discussion about covid here and return the conversation to great coffee, so please the next poster, please keep that in focus. thanks.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

sambuist

#2407: Post by sambuist »

good Rwandan coffee if interested

https://royalcoffee.com/product/3427097000027109041/

im a big fan of Rwandan coffee . in my opinion they are one of the most approachable Africans coffees. This one from Royal is very nice. i have roasted it to a med roast (1 1/2mins past FC) and a dark (2mins past FC). the dark roast is great as an espresso at a shorter ratio (1/1.75) to tame the very slight bitterness at the end which is due to the roast level. if drinking in a french press then this darker level is actually spot on. the taste is more around milk choc with good body and mild acidity. its very clean in the finish. just a great day coffee.

im going to start drinking the med roast which i think will be perfect for this coffee.

bored117

#2408: Post by bored117 »

Glad to hear you are enjoying this one. How is it compared to last year? I did thoroughly enjoy this one last year so if it is same or better I am game :)

TomC
Team HB

#2409: Post by TomC »

It"s hard to decide between the regular washed processed Kilimanjaro or the Kenya Processed I bought. i roasted up a batch of the Kenya Processed on the 2nd, gifting half of it to 3 Michelin Star chef David Kinch at a book signing event he was having in Santa Cruz last week. I bought many of his private collection of cookbooks, signed by the likes of Thomas Keller and Ferran Adria of El Bulli, but back to the coffee.... it took a bit more rest than expected, like 10-11 days and it absolutely explodes with clean, tight, dynamic and balanced profiles in the cup. I aimed for a slow start, fast finish on this batch and wow, it's great.

Her stock on hand will probably sell out fairly soon.Both harvests are exemplary and are worth stocking up on.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

dano_850joe

#2410: Post by dano_850joe »

sambuist wrote:good Rwandan coffee if interested

https://royalcoffee.com/product/3427097000027109041/

im a big fan of Rwandan coffee . in my opinion they are one of the most approachable Africans coffees. This one from Royal is very nice. i have roasted it to a med roast (1 1/2mins past FC) and a dark (2mins past FC). the dark roast is great as an espresso at a shorter ratio (1/1.75) to tame the very slight bitterness at the end which is due to the roast level. if drinking in a french press then this darker level is actually spot on. the taste is more around milk choc with good body and mild acidity. its very clean in the finish. just a great day coffee.

im going to start drinking the med roast which i think will be perfect for this coffee.
I've also been a big fan of most of the Rwandan coffee I've tried. I saw this one on the website and want to try it but just can't pull the trigger on 22 lbs. Do you get any pear flavor?