Greens Alert - Page 227

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Chert

#2261: Post by Chert »

I have the roasted beans in a quart jar. the color is dark and sheeny like the process with a Tonino 103-104 (darker end of light , 100-115) the aroma reminds me of origin indonesian rich and sweet and forest-y but I am surprised that a sheen-y roast measures out to light on a color scale. I'll taste it later this week.

I agree, I don't think 4 minutes ramp did it any favors, I think somehow I'm gotten a little lost in thethermodynamic weeds lately of an ET probe misbehaving. See it dip after end of dry?
LMWDP #198

mpdeem
Team HB

#2262: Post by mpdeem »

Chert wrote:I agree, I don't think 4 minutes ramp did it any favors, I think somehow I'm gotten a little lost in thethermodynamic weeds lately of an ET probe misbehaving. See it dip after end of dry?
I noticed the little dip...wondered if it was a technical snafu...or else some maverick approach to roasting ;) Seriously, since I back off the heat a little after heating my peak temp...I did wonder if that dip was an experiment on your part.

Would love to see pix of your oily light roasted beans. I think my lightest roast started exuding oil by the end of the second day. As an aside I need to get some color scale sheets...because my old school references 'aint cutting it. Does anyone even use the terms 'city' or 'full city' anymore?

Chert

#2263: Post by Chert »

Maverick.
mpdeem wrote:I noticed the little dip...wondered if it was a technical snafu...or else some maverick approach to roasting ;) Seriously, since I back off the heat a little after heating my peak temp...I did wonder if that dip was an experiment on your part.

Would love to see pix of your oily light roasted beans. I think my lightest roast started exuding oil by the end of the second day. As an aside I need to get some color scale sheets...because my old school references 'aint cutting it. Does anyone even use the terms 'city' or 'full city' anymore?

Like cowboy coffee. I've been scratching my head about both points.

I phones are amazing but they're not up to this task, at least not with my lighting.

Next to a sample that registered in cinnamon range. Tonino calibrated is useful but I'm not sure how well the scale works in absolute but just in comparing one's own roasts. Note that the tamper had the lighter roast so this reproduction of a test sample for the photo has both grounds inadvertently in my sample single basket.
LMWDP #198

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#2264: Post by Milligan »

mpdeem wrote:I noticed the little dip...wondered if it was a technical snafu...or else some maverick approach to roasting ;) Seriously, since I back off the heat a little after heating my peak temp...I did wonder if that dip was an experiment on your part.

Coincidentally, I sent an email to Sweet Marias on Saturday asking if they knew where their "city, city+, and full city" descriptors fell on the Agtron gourmet scale. If they use the old school definitions then a city roast is around a 75 on Agtron Gourmet which would be a 17 on Roast Vision. Roast Vision puts a 17 right in the middle of medium. My palate tends more toward the RV definitions.

Chert

#2265: Post by Chert »

Milligan wrote:
Curious to hear Chert's notes on that roast. Was it bright and flavorful?
Sagebrush's Papua New Guinea Kagamuga Natural. I would say, Milligan, it's dulled and flavorful. Naturals have so much going on sometimes. It would be interesting to have other roasts of that coffee to compare mine too. Another roast/take may have it pop more, on the other hand, maybe a bit of roasty adds character in a good bitter way to all that flavor. It passes muster as something I will enjoy and feel pleased to share as I have with a couple other coffee drinkers.
LMWDP #198

mpdeem
Team HB

#2266: Post by mpdeem »

Chert wrote:Maverick.
Like cowboy coffee. I've been scratching my head about both points.

I phones are amazing but they're not up to this task, at least not with my lighting.
Thanks for the picture....looks pretty similar to my lighter roasts...oily despite the light roast level as indicated by bean color and grounds.
Chert wrote:Sagebrush's Papua New Guinea Kagamuga Natural. I would say, Milligan, it's dulled and flavorful.
I have not ever had a natural (or other processed) PNG that was bright, not even Sweet Maria's fruiter PNG's have tasted bright to me. PNG's -even the naturals -seem to have a sort of 'scrim' of either unsweetned hot coco, coconut milk, or even bubblegum. The fruit has a sort of 'grainy' or as you describe dulled - possesing a slightly muted quality. The irony is that to me, Sagebrush's PNG Kagamuga Natural is probably one of the 'cleanest' PNGs I have had-the fruit flavors brighter (for a PNG) and more distinct.

Would be interested to hear if you have had any natural or other PNG's that were fruity and bright (even acidic perhaps)? If so details please :)

mpdeem
Team HB

#2267: Post by mpdeem »

Roastmaster's has Aida Batlle's El Salvador Finca Kilimanjaro Burundi Process
https://www.roastmasters.com/kiliburundi.html

Aida's site is out of the Burundi and Washed greens but has the following coffees in stock:
https://aidabatlleselection.com/collections/all

-Inidigo Reserve Roasted Burundi Process - courtesy of Panther Coffee
-Kenya Process
-Iced Cascara Process
-Natural Process

Jasper_8137

#2268: Post by Jasper_8137 »

mpdeem wrote:Looks like they just added the ASD (Anaerobic Slow Dry) version as well https://www.roastmasters.com/elidalot.html

I have always enjoyed the sweet blueberry profile of the Natural so am curious how the ASD version will compare. The description of candied apples and currants sounds right up my alley.
Funny, I was just going through my greens and was wanting to roast some Panama Elida I got from Klatch last year, and to my dismay, was out. Just got the email from roastmasters and ordered 10 lbs of this. I'll let you all know what I think.

mpdeem
Team HB

#2269: Post by mpdeem replying to Jasper_8137 »

I look forward to hearing what you think.

Roastmaster's description sounds wonderful "Aromas of black cherry, pipe tobacco, and chocolate. Flavors of black currant, and candied apple. A bold and complex cup". Was hoping some of the tobacco and other aroma notes might be reflected in the flavor profile too. I need to let my coffee budget recover before placing another other...but this coffee is on my list to buy.

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#2270: Post by mgrayson »

Good Morning,

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would ask here. A year or so back, there were a number of superb Colombian Pink Bourbons. Offhand, I can recall one from Huila, and an El Alquimista. Lately, all I've been seeing are Anaerobic Fermented etc. I was so put off by Klatch's fermented offerings that I've been shy of these. (I roast medium-dark for espresso, and I don't want it to taste like a dark beer.) Is this the "new thing" that growers are doing to stay cutting edge? Are the old Pink Bourbon's never to return?

Thanks for any news or speculation,

Matt