Greens Alert - Page 223

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mpdeem
Team HB

#2221: Post by mpdeem »

LBIespresso wrote:This is my favorite thread and your contributions of late have been fun to read!

I can't even keep track of my abandoned carts at all of the different green sellers! I love what's in my stash right now but it is an almost daily challenge not to buy more. Especially after reading some of your descriptions.
I am glad to see that I am not the only one who has left a trail of abandoned carts in my wake! It is very easy to end up with too much coffee after reading so many tempting descriptions on this thread. I literally catch myself getting ready to make a purchase when my coffee stash is overflowing - all based on a tantelizing description posted here! Nevertheless I love this thread - fun to taste - if only vicaously' - through all the coffees shared here.

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#2222: Post by pcofftenyo replying to mpdeem »

Sooooo much good sounding coffee, so little time!

mpdeem
Team HB

#2223: Post by mpdeem »

Flores Dry Process Bei Poso Village - Sweet Maria's. I wrote about this coffee earlier this month when it was initially offered. Glad to see it back in stock since I was out - drank my stash all in a few weeks. Almost identicle to the initial offering so I will only add that I get a tad more grapefruit pith on the feel on the back of throat but could be just be roast variaiton as opposed to crop. Lovely unique fruit leather sweetness including salmonberry (how many times does one come across that flavor) combined with brisk acidity from grapefruit pith. SM's flavor notes are spot on despite erronous reference to being a 'an interesting... Sulawesi'. One of my favorite coffees - highly recommended.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#2224: Post by Milligan »

Ethiopia Agaro Kedamai Coop From Sweet Maria's is very pleasant. I was able to do a first roast on it and hit a 21 Roast Vision. The tasting notes pointed to more of a light/medium instead of light. I've had several brews of it over the last few days. It isn't like the typical Ethiopian I've had. It has a lot of body and ripe fruit sweetness without the bright acidity. The peach note is spot on but manifests more as a textural and sweetness flavor of peach instead of directly on the nose. The slight spice blends perfectly with sweet peaches. This coffee is a joy for this time of year. Thick body, jammy peach, and spices. Very nice.
★ Helpful

mpdeem
Team HB

#2225: Post by mpdeem replying to Milligan »

Sounds wonderful. This coffee caught my attention becuase of the cominbationa of mulling spices, peach tea, and lower (than typical) acidity. The description reminded me of a spiced peach tea from my youth...had mulling-clove type spice over dried peach currants notes. Almost got this coffee but my stash is starting to overflow ;)

sosha
Supporter ♡

#2226: Post by sosha »

For Thanksgiving, I brought a variety of beans to the family. The hands down favorite was Hacea's Indonesia Sumatra Wahana Rasuna Natural. Stellar. Clean and crisp. If you like Indonesians, this is a must try.
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#2227: Post by Milligan replying to sosha »

Oh yes! I had that one recently. The coffee really opens up after a bit of rest. I went rather light on it at 20 roast vision (for Indonesian.) I had a few pour overs of it before jarring it for storage to let it age a bit for espresso. It was good as a pour over but after I revisited it for espresso after rest, just wow. It has a floral quality combined with sweet fresh dried tabacco that is hard to describe but very pleasant. It tends toward sour so I ended up with some longer shots. Especially good in low volume milk drinks like a smaller cappuccino or a Cortado.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#2228: Post by Milligan »

mpdeem wrote:Sounds wonderful. This coffee caught my attention becuase of the cominbationa of mulling spices, peach tea, and lower (than typical) acidity. The description reminded me of a spiced peach tea from my youth...had mulling-clove type spice over dried peach currants notes. Almost got this coffee but my stash is starting to overflow ;)
There is a peach orchard in my area that offers fresh peach bowls during their harvest season. There are very few things more enjoyable than a bowl of perfectly ripe peach slices on a sunny day. Having lived in Georgia during some of my youth, the peach tea quality of the coffee is quite nostalgic.

mpdeem
Team HB

#2229: Post by mpdeem replying to Milligan »

What a fabelous memory...I could practically smell and taste peaches reading your post! I had no idea the Kedamai was so intensley fruited looking at SM's flavor wheel so your description has me reconsidering...peach tea sounds heavenly right now.

mpdeem
Team HB

#2230: Post by mpdeem »

Guatemalan COE Winning Lot #28 - El Diamante - Maragogype Washed - Burman's. After being gifted some fabelous Guatemala COE El Diamante Natural by Chert - I was inspired to get this since it is from the same farm.

This is a wonderful example of how complex and powerful a Maragogype coffee can be. Intense tart green apple and lemon notes over sweet green grapes, juicey ripe green apples, honey, peach-apricot especially when brewed lighter (more water less coffee) - caramel, brown sugar, black tea, very soft hints of coco adds more body rather than 'taste (if that makes sense). There is a sublte gardenia type florality not immediately apparent but emerging as the cup cools a little. More of a supportive layer but a little more prominant with aeartion.

I did two brews one strong one lighter and drank side by side. The light brew emphasized the tart sweet fruits with a subtle peach apircot tea note that recalled a stunning Maragogype from Hawaii carried by Sweet Maria's many years ago. A stronger brew (more coffee to less water) emhpasizes more darker sugar type sweetness caramel, nougat, black tea, brown sugar, and faint coco yet maintains a very lively tart sweet lemon green apple fruits. I could not decide which cup I liked better - will probably alternate going forward.

Just ordered more of this coffee. I love the Maragogype varietal but find some examples are too delicate lacking in body and flavor complexity. This coffee, however, demonstrates the potential of the Maragogype - that in capable hands it can offer tremendous flavor complexity and body while retaining a unique delicacy. Bravo to the Villatoro family for such a beautiful coffee.