Greens Alert - Page 222

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#2211: Post by Milligan »

Pressino wrote:Sweet Maria's just got some Guatemala Acatenago Gesha in stock, Ordered a couple of pounds and will give it a try.
Thanks for the post. I checked that one out last night after seeing your post and the descriptors sounded like something I needed to try. I grabbed 2lbs to try along with a few other things.

mpdeem
Team HB

#2212: Post by mpdeem »

Sweet Maria's just more Flores Dry Process Bei Poso Village. The previous offering (a month or so ago) was excellent. Hard to describes...salmon berry & semi sweet fig fruit leather combined with a wonderful citrus type acidity.

Another recommendation for Sagebrush's Papua New Guinea Kagamuga Natural. Very sweet with berries, fruit hard candies, and bubblegum against unsweetened coco powder. Very clean and with deep body yet delicate at the same time. I stocked up on this one.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#2213: Post by LBIespresso »

Dang, Mary. For someone that limits their coffee intake to 1 or 2 cups a day you sure roast a lot of different coffees! And you must nail them all on your first try too! How do you do it?!?!?!

Also, if I ever wanted to sell greens online, you would be my first choice to write the descriptions. You make everything sound so good!

I am impressed.
LMWDP #580

mpdeem
Team HB

#2214: Post by mpdeem replying to LBIespresso »

Thanks for the compliments. Being on a restrictive diet in general sharpens the palate. My daily coffee seasons are a feast of sensory delights. Having said that, I am painfully aware that taste is subjective nont to mention the influence of roast itself.

I roast on an WB 1 Popper so my roast sizes are quite small - enough for about 2 cups each. I have been roasting for 11 years on a popper...so while I still have loads to learn, there is little danger of completely messing up a roast. Having said that, of course I worry that my constraints keep me from experimenting or really developing more nuances. There is a tendancy to go for happy consistancy rather than push boundries and end up outside my comfort zone or a medicore (to my taste) result.

My challenge is not ending up with more greens then I can use...an ongoing battle. I used to have several local roasting friends who would gladly take free coffee to a good home..but they have either stopped roasting or moved away. Since I am approaching the saturation point again, I might offer some free coffees here. Of course I suspect that many are in a similar position so may not get many takers. Sometimes you just have dump the extra coffee and use the guilt as inspiration not to overstock.

mpdeem
Team HB

#2215: Post by mpdeem »

Timor Leste Dry Process Daurfusu - Sweet Maria's. Just did a FC roast of this. Despite the darker roast, loads of stewed dark fruits. Figs, plums, dates, blueberry, black grapes, spice, coco, earth. Very deep body despite brewing with a low coffee to water ratio.

Had originally bought this mostly to use as a blender to add body, so went darker than normal. Amazed at how much fruit the coffee retained despite dark roast. At FC roast notes can dominate yet this was not the case with the Daurfusu at all. If anything the fruit notes retain prominance, becoming darker and heavier - like drinking a fruit compote. No dark roast type bitterness at all. There is a lovely citric tang that keeps it from becoming too heavy or cloying.

Have not had a chance to do any lighter roasts but the unroasted greens have a distinct almost cidery type aroma....so guessing the fruits will be more baked apples, cider, pear notes. SM's tasting notes seem to be spot on so far.

mpdeem
Team HB

#2216: Post by mpdeem »

Guatemala Patzun Finca Las Camelias - Sweet Maria's. I tasted this after the aforementioned Timor DP Daurfusu. Despite my fears that the former would overshadow this, the Camelias held its own. Strawberry, fig, blackberry, honey, raw sugar, hints of dark chocolate, with lovely tart-sour strawberry seeds. Fruits are subtle -not in your face but rather emerging and gaining strength as cup cools. Patience is rewarded - by the time the cup cools, the fruits are center stage, almost jam like in their sweetness. Dark chocolate is there but not in a chocolate dipped fruit..but rather giving a very subtle bittersweet (without being bitter) contrast. Delicate body yet enough not to be overshadowed by the previous session of the Daurfusu. An unexpected surprise as sometimes I struggle to get these subtle fruit type Gautamala coffees..even more so considering I drank this after the Timor.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2217: Post by yakster »

Those both sound good, Mary.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Legend_217

#2218: Post by Legend_217 »

SW Ethiopia Dry Process Buno Dambi Uddo is back again this year. Last year batch was so good I used all 10lbs within few months. If my memory serves me right, it is one of the fruitiest ethiopian coffee that I ever taste. I would describe it as "fruit punch" of coffee.It pairs really well with Monolith Max. Also just a head up, if you like traditional thick, syrupy shot then this coffee isn't for you
https://www.sweetmarias.com/ethiopia-dr ... -7390.html

mpdeem
Team HB

#2219: Post by mpdeem »

yakster wrote:Those both sound good, Mary.
They are...although I suspect the Camelia will be the more approachable one.

The Timor probably might not enjoy the same bread appeal..but it is wonderful for lovers of Indonesian DP coffees. I just did a lighter roast which was very nice, fruits are more baked golden apple, pear, cider (but not overly fermented thankfully) with a strong tangy aspect. The greens have a very strong cidery aroma almost reminiscent of an anaerobic which had me worried about the lighter roast being too fermented tasting but that was not the case at all (at least to my taste). I am learning more towards the darker roast at this point because of the fig blue berry plum and coco combination...but both are nice.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#2220: Post by LBIespresso »

mpdeem wrote:Thanks for the compliments.
This is my favorite thread and your contributions of late have been fun to read!
mpdeem wrote:
My challenge is not ending up with more greens then I can use...an ongoing battle.
I can't even keep track of my abandoned carts at all of the different green sellers! I love what's in my stash right now but it is an almost daily challenge not to buy more. Especially after reading some of your descriptions.
LMWDP #580