Greens Alert - Page 210

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
drgary
Team HB

#2091: Post by drgary »

Chert wrote:Greens Alert February 2019, you jumped on some and then it was all sold off. Proud Mary US had about 5 selections on their reserve type pourover bar and greens of pink bourbon weren't easy to get at.

Someday my pink bourbon will come
I just had my first roast of Colombia Palestina Aguazul Solar Pink Bourbon from Captain's Coffee. This has the silkiest, richest mouthfeel. It's sweet and clean, I could drink it all day. I'm not getting spectacular flavor notes but one of the best cups of coffee I've roasted in a long time. I've just ordered their El Alquimista Red Honey Pink Bourbon because I couldn't resist. I have a note sent to them asking if it's comparable.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Chert

#2092: Post by Chert replying to drgary »

Silky is a treat!
LMWDP #198

Advertisement
TomC
Team HB

#2093: Post by TomC »

Aida Batlle just found one last 25 pound bag of her Burundi Process. It shows sold out on her site, but for those who were wanting it, just contact her directly via email.

I'll put this notice in the relevant Aida roasting thread as well.

https://aidabatlleselection.com/product ... 0394166443
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

JavaMD
Supporter ♡

#2094: Post by JavaMD »

Report on Klatch coffee Ethiopia Uraga Guji Anerobic Natural Gr1

Short version - don't buy it.

Long version -
Bought 10 pounds as was really looking forward to a berry filled Ethiopian Coffee.

Opened a 5# bag and was immediately met with aroma of ferment / vinegar / fruit. The first two overwhelmed the last.
I poured some out on a cafeteria tray to look and sort (I always sort just to make sure I don't get a rock in my grinder).

The green coffee was unlike anything I had seen before ... maybe closest to a "black honey" processed bean but they were basicly brown with some very pale looking beans scattered throughout.
The coffee had the appearance of being roasted to about 2 minutes into the Maillard reaction.

I sorted the beans ... few broken and shells ... rare insect damage ... some "burns" from the depulper...rare underripe green bean and some lighter pale beans that just looked different
here is a picture of the beans next to some typical ethiopian beans on a cafeteria tray.

Picture of normal Ethiopian Beans below with the Klatch Anerobic above on cafeteria tray

What limited culling I did

under black light

I roasted 900 gms on my Mill City TJ North 1 kg propane roaster.
Dropped at usual temp and profile ... it retained a bit of heat and wouldn't drop temp after a rather high first crack temp and ended up dropping at a 411 deg F (high for me) with 16.8% development.
Maybe I marked first crack a bit late ... didn't hit second crack before dropping.

Artisan profile

Brewed a drip pot this am and my wife and I couln't finish the cup. very fermented tasting and frankly undrinkable.

Really hate to pan this bean and feel as if I really screwed things up to make it be so bad but No ... it is just a really bad bean. Would be interested if anyone got anything better.

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#2095: Post by mgrayson »

<deleted>

wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#2096: Post by wingnutsglory »

I'd picked up a couple pounds to sample and will report back once I receive/roast.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#2097: Post by LBIespresso »

From Klatch:

Farmers selectively handpick ripe cherry and deliver it to the station. At intake, employees visually inspect cherry and accept only fully ripe cherry for anaerobic fermentation. Selected cherry is tightly packed in GrainPro bags and sealed shut. Cherry ferments anaerobically (without oxygen) for 18 to 24 hours. After fermentation, cherry is carefully removed from bags and laid to dry in direct sunlight on raised beds. Workers turn cherry frequently to promote even drying. It takes approximately 2 to 3 weeks for cherry to dry. Grades in Ethiopia depend on visual inspection for defects and on cup quality. Grade 1 is considered the highest quality coffee. Grade 1 and 2 are considered specialty coffee, grade 3-9 are classified as commercial coffee. Grade 1 is free of cup faults and taints and has zero quakers.

I almost bought some based on the above description. Thanks for the heads up!
LMWDP #580

Advertisement
pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#2098: Post by pcofftenyo »

JavaMD wrote:Report on Klatch coffee Ethiopia Uraga Guji Anerobic Natural Gr1

-------------------------------------
Really hate to pan this bean and feel as if I really screwed things up to make it be so bad but No ... it is just a really bad bean. Would be interested if anyone got anything better.
This type of result seems to be common with these Anerobic and soaked/yeast processes.

These are not defects in the traditional sence: they're influenced by the process.

2 examples:

I had an Anerobic Colombian last year that was very 3rd world-ish looking. I didn't have a lot of info on it but the small bag I got kicked a$$.

I was able to get a sack of a Yeast processed Guat in August because of the above. It looks like absolute hell. It's really funky tasting: creamy/chocolatey, yeasty/malty, merlo and stewed plums: syrupy mouthfeel. I love it.

I didn't buy it expecting a super clean washed Kenyan: I bought it because of how it tastes. I don't have my production roast nailed down yet as it's a little tricky because of the 48/82 hour wet processing with an Oro yeast.

It was a pristine Red Bourbon from an established farm I've bought from in the past (Quezada). It was processed in conjunction with my importer who worked with them and their export partner to prepare it.

I'd buy it again.

TomC
Team HB

#2099: Post by TomC »

Hey all,

If you're putting together all the work for a post that includes profiles and impressions they do deserve a separate thread for better visibility.

Otherwise this just turns into an ongoing free-for-all and some may not be inclined to sort through it for green coffee notices.

Thanks
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/
★ Helpful

bicktrav

#2100: Post by bicktrav »

Your pics and description make it sound exactly like Klatch's Super Wush Wush. That one had a very mottled, almost brown appearance and loads of ferment/vinegar. I enjoyed it, but it's a polarizing style.
JavaMD wrote:Report on Klatch coffee Ethiopia Uraga Guji Anerobic Natural Gr1

Long version -
Bought 10 pounds as was really looking forward to a berry filled Ethiopian Coffee.

Opened a 5# bag and was immediately met with aroma of ferment / vinegar / fruit. The first two overwhelmed the last.
I poured some out on a cafeteria tray to look and sort (I always sort just to make sure I don't get a rock in my grinder).

The green coffee was unlike anything I had seen before ... maybe closest to a "black honey" processed bean but they were basicly brown with some very pale looking beans scattered throughout.
The coffee had the appearance of being roasted to about 2 minutes into the Maillard reaction.

I sorted the beans ... few broken and shells ... rare insect damage ... some "burns" from the depulper...rare underripe green bean and some lighter pale beans that just looked different
here is a picture of the beans next to some typical ethiopian beans on a cafeteria tray.

Picture of normal Ethiopian Beans below with the Klatch Anerobic above on cafeteria tray

What limited culling I did

under black light

I roasted 900 gms on my Mill City TJ North 1 kg propane roaster.
Dropped at usual temp and profile ... it retained a bit of heat and wouldn't drop temp after a rather high first crack temp and ended up dropping at a 411 deg F (high for me) with 16.8% development.
Maybe I marked first crack a bit late ... didn't hit second crack before dropping.

Artisan profile

Brewed a drip pot this am and my wife and I couln't finish the cup. very fermented tasting and frankly undrinkable.