Greens Alert - Page 198

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TallDan

#1971: Post by TallDan »

I have a Klatch order, including 10lb of the Super Wush green and 12oz roasted arriving today. (Guess I should have anticipated a labor day sale and waited, but too late now.) Klatch's notes of chocolate and blueberry for their roasted batch were what drew me in, but craft beer tasting notes? I'm all in for that too!

bicktrav

#1972: Post by bicktrav replying to TallDan »

Yeah, I don't get much blueberry or chocolate. Those notes make me think more of a typical Ethiopian natural, which this most definitely isn't. There are loads of fermented notes, some malty tones (which I guess overlaps with chocolate), and watermelon more than blueberry - in my opinion, anyway. Klatch also listed basil in their notes, which I agree with. But hey, it's all so subjective. All I can say for sure is it's a wild coffee!

wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#1973: Post by wingnutsglory »

Well, I can't wait. Mine shipped today, so if it's great (or seems like it will be one day post-roast), then maybe I'll make the cutoff to order more before Monday's up...

wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#1974: Post by wingnutsglory »

TallDan wrote:I have a Klatch order, including 10lb of the Super Wush green and 12oz roasted arriving today. (Guess I should have anticipated a labor day sale and waited, but too late now.) Klatch's notes of chocolate and blueberry for their roasted batch were what drew me in, but craft beer tasting notes? I'm all in for that too!
Any comments on the roasted Super Wush?

TomC
Team HB

#1975: Post by TomC »

bicktrav wrote:Yeah, I don't get much blueberry or chocolate. Those notes make me think more of a typical Ethiopian natural, which this most definitely isn't. There are loads of fermented notes, some malty tones (which I guess overlaps with chocolate), and watermelon more than blueberry - in my opinion, anyway. Klatch also listed basil in their notes, which I agree with. But hey, it's all so subjective. All I can say for sure is it's a wild coffee!

I've tried two versions, I think both came from Revel Coffee. Both had an overwhelming "old woman's floral perfume and powder makeup" note that I just could get past. And a cloying metallic saccharine and watermelon sweetness that was almost gag inducing. I'd be curious to see if they've dialed in better this time around. And I have confirmed that the 96 point scored coffee that Coffee Review judged did not have quakers in their sample like what was sent out to regular customers. So, I'd take any mention of the high score with a grain of salt.

All that being said, I might pick up a pound or two green if the impressions by others are positive.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

GC7

#1976: Post by GC7 »

TomC wrote: I've tried two versions, I think both came from Revel Coffee. Both had an overwhelming "old woman's floral perfume and powder makeup" note that I just could get past. And a cloying metallic saccharine and watermelon sweetness that was almost gag inducing.
All that being said, I might pick up a pound or two green if the impressions by others are positive.
Interesting tasting notes :-) -

The old ladies perfume-powder describes a hugely popular German shaving soap called Tabac. It is one with widely varying reviews as with this coffee.

From Roastmasters- "This Wush Wush is grown by a handfull of local smallholders and brought to the Adola Washing Station in Guji for processing. This and several other closeby washing stations are owned by Israel Degfa of Kerchansee Trading. We have had other coffees from Israel in the past. He maintains the highest standard of excellence regarding cherry selection and processing. His washing stations employ a variety of processing methods including the one used here. Our importer offered us this coffee in 3 intensities. We chose the middle of the three, the one they called "Refreshing Wush Wush".

My guess would be Klatch got the high intensity offering and Roastmasters a somewhat less ferment batch. Will anyone dare compare the two batches?

bicktrav

#1977: Post by bicktrav replying to GC7 »

Yep, I've got Klatch's roasted already (definitely "super" where intensity is concerned), and I have Roastmasters' Wush on the way. I spoke with Roastmasters on the phone, and they confirmed that the Super Wush that Klatch has is the high intensity iteration that they turned down. I'll roast both, compare, and report back.

wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#1978: Post by wingnutsglory »

:shock:

olutheros

#1979: Post by olutheros »

I haven't tried the Klatch, but the RM 96-hour one had a lot of watermelon jolly rancher type flavor to me, definitely that fruit-candy thing some anaerobic naturals get (really not the kind of thing I want to drink a ton of, but it was worth grabbing a pound to taste).

It seemed pretty good relative to others processed like that I've tried, but I definitely would not want more fermentation beyond the pretty aggressive amount it already had lol

Strifer

#1980: Post by Strifer »

I have also tried the Wush Wush from Revel from last year and this year. I enjoyed both with last year's being more pungent where I can see it can be an acquired taste. This year's being more clean and watermelon candy tasting. Bought some greens from Klatch and looking forward to roasting!