Greens Alert - Page 190

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
EvanOz85

#1891: Post by EvanOz85 »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote: Green-Unroasted Rwanda Huye Mountain Natural - 10 LB BAG
That Natural Rwanda is INCREDIBLE! Currently have a cup in hand.

As with their Ethiopian Worka Anaerobic, it needs a WEEK of rest before it shines. The cups of the Rwanda I tasted on day 2 and day 4 were extremely disappointing to the point I was regretting my purchase. But after a week, it was like the coffee just burst open with intense fruit flavors, and a mouthfeel like delicious berry herbal tea.

I got a good 20% DTR with it, and there were a few final pops of first crack happening as I dropped the batch.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#1892: Post by JohnB. »

Might have to unsubscribe from this thread before I run completely out of freezer space! Yesterday I was able to resist temptation but I caved today & will soon have another 24 lbs on the way from Klatch. I'll have to drink a heck a lot of coffee between now & garden harvest time. :lol:
LMWDP 267

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#1893: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

EvanOz85 wrote:That Natural Rwanda is INCREDIBLE! Currently have a cup in hand.

I got a good 20% DTR with it, and there were a few final pops of first crack happening as I dropped the batch.
How many degrees past FCs in what time? Easier foe people to try to replicate knowing that. This is my second 10 pounder.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

EvanOz85

#1894: Post by EvanOz85 » replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Here's my roast:

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#1895: Post by JohnB. »

This morning I made an Americano with the Rwanda Huye Mt I roasted 2 days ago. While the roasted beans & grounds have a strong fruit aroma it's just starting to come out in the cup along with some chocolate. No sign of the Anise which is fine with me as I'm not a big fan. As I plan to use this batch for straight espresso shots I took the roast 2 minutes/27*F past the start of 1C.
Only bought 2 lbs initially but since I picked up another 10 last weekend I'll have plenty of opportunities to try it lighter & darker.
LMWDP 267

EvanOz85

#1896: Post by EvanOz85 »

Been strictly drinking the Klatch Natural Rwandan as pourover, but decided to try pulling a shot today with the above roast profile Considering the short roast time, the shot was quite good. Uber tart fruits on the tip of the tongue and a lovely light body and clean mouthfeel. Might try stretching maillard a bit next time to get a slightly heavier body but this was still really great. Have a feeling I could make an excellent fruity cappuccino with it.
JohnB. wrote:No sign of the Anise
I haven't gotten any Anise whatsoever, thankfully.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#1897: Post by JohnB. »

EvanOz85 wrote:Been strictly drinking the Klatch Natural Rwandan as pourover, but decided to try pulling a shot today with the above roast profile Considering the short roast time, the shot was quite good. Uber tart fruits on the tip of the tongue and a lovely light body and clean mouthfeel. Might try stretching maillard a bit next time to get a slightly heavier body but this was still really great. Have a feeling I could make an excellent fruity cappuccino with it.
I just made a nice straight shot with my 3 day old Huye Mt. Natural. The fruit was tart but not overly so & the shot was much better then expected after only 3 days rest. I'll try it again in 2-3 days.
LMWDP 267