Greens Alert - Page 184

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

#1831: Post by TomC »

bicktrav wrote:I don't catch the melted crayon thing, but I get what you're saying. It's a wild coffee and, as others have mentioned, will surely land in a polarizing way. The fermented notes smack of a sour beer for me -- maybe a kombucha. I love it, but then I enjoy those fermented touchstones. I guess it's a bit like an Islay scotch; some will love it, others will hate it.

I adore Islay scotch! Caol Ila, my favorite.

This seems to allude to differences in each individuals fundamental, perhaps genetic, taste perception. Sorta like the cilantro tasting like soap to some people thing. I couldn't find a watermelon jolly rancher in this garbage to save my life. I've been bitten twice by it now and am done with it.

jevenator

#1832: Post by jevenator »

Colombia Urrao Heirloom Caturra

This seemed interesting. I haven't seen a 89pt Colombian (relative to other SM) offerings pop up much and seems tempting to try...
LMWDP #643

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
bradm
Supporter ♡

#1833: Post by bradm » replying to jevenator »

That one caught my eye too, but not sure about the "black tea". I really liked this one from Urrao last year

https://www.sweetmarias.com/colombia-ur ... -6283.html

In a medium roast it was fig/rasin/carmel/almond balanced really nicely with some lemon. Hoping SM will offer something from the same farm this year, but who knows if it would have the same flavors.

Chert
Supporter ♡

#1834: Post by Chert » replying to bradm »

The Colombia urrao f Los Palomos (hwat's a palomo? Paloma is dove) is on its way for February arrival.

Thanks for the tips. Rather than a large order of the heirloom caturra, I ordered some but held back on quant look forward to what's coming too.
| |_
| LMWDP #198 |

Chert
Supporter ♡

#1835: Post by Chert »

El Salvador Pacamara was one of the sweetest coffees I tasted before getting into roasting my own. I suspect this one will be worth trying.
| |_
| LMWDP #198 |

coffeemmichael
Supporter

#1836: Post by coffeemmichael »

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#1837: Post by JohnB. » replying to coffeemmichael »

I tried one of their aged Sumatras once. Never again. An acquired taste I guess.
LMWDP 267

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
TomC
Team HB

#1838: Post by TomC » replying to JohnB. »

A 70/30 blend of any highly sweet washed (Central clean coffee) and aged Sumatra brings really spectacular results that don't even need a 3 bean blend in order to deliver, IMO. Like you, I have "archived" coffees, vacuum sealed and resting in a very, very cold deep freezer. Some aged Sumatra are among these, in my case. To get some harmony, I roast the Sumatra first, rest it a few days ahead of whatever sweet and clean coffee I blend it with.

I'd take a well-controlled/processed aged Sumatra against most of the horrible crap that is coming out of shortcut anaerobic processing nowadays.

ManuelPalmaCoffee

#1839: Post by ManuelPalmaCoffee »

TomC wrote: A 70/30 blend of any highly sweet washed (Central clean coffee) and aged Sumatra brings really spectacular results that don't even need a 3 bean blend in order to deliver, IMO. Like you, I have "archived" coffees, vacuum sealed and resting in a very, very cold deep freezer. Some aged Sumatra are among these, in my case. To get some harmony, I roast the Sumatra first, rest it a few days ahead of whatever sweet and clean coffee I blend it with.

I'd take a well-controlled/processed aged Sumatra against most of the horrible crap that is coming out of shortcut anaerobic processing nowadays.
Have you noticed any direct flavor or handling effects when archiving coffees?

TomC
Team HB

#1840: Post by TomC » replying to ManuelPalmaCoffee »

Not in almost 7 years of practice. Strong, high quality vacuum sealing is equally important however.