Greens Alert - Page 183

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
heavyduty

#1821: Post by heavyduty »

wingnutsglory wrote:oes anyone here have prior experience with this one?
I just saw this last night, planning to order some. I've had this last 2 or 3 yrs. from Happy Mug and have always enjoyed it and it seems to be consistent. One of the easier Ethiopian naturals to roast. Hard to screw it up. Very forgiving. Tasting notes seem spot on as I recollect. Jammy, creamy, sweet. Can't comment on the blueberry as I haven't tried this yrs. yet (YMMV). To me it's a fantastic everyday Ethiopian natural "comfort food" shot (if there is such a thing!) with a little something extra. At HM's price, it's a no brainer.
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul

TallDan

#1822: Post by TallDan »

wingnutsglory wrote:Does anyone here have prior experience with this one?
I bought some Ethiopia Halo Bariti three years ago via GCBC. I don't have any specific notes, but recall enjoying it.

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
Jrodanapolis

#1823: Post by Jrodanapolis »

Around August of 2020 I wanted to try a few beans that Happy Mug had in stock since I hadn't ever ordered from them. I ended up with some of their Kenya Kirimiri peaberry and Sidama Shantawene natural. Those ended up being my favorite two beans from last year - both fantastic and I couldnt get enough of either. Everyone that I made some for asked for more, too.

I did a Google search to see if I could find anymore of the Kirimiri because Happy Mug was out. I came across a small website called Phil's Just Java and they had it in stock. I traded a few emails with him - great customer service, quick replies, and very helpful. He said he got this Kirimiri from Royal NY... not sure where HMs came from, but it looks and smells exactly the same. And with the small amount of peaberries that come from Kenya, I'm willing to bet they are.

Shipping was cheap and very quick. The bean price was also great for the quality. He is a smaller shop, but I will definitely be going back from more when I work my way through my absurd stash.

Take a look at his website!
http://www.greencoffeestore.com/store/c2/green-coffee

bicktrav
Supporter ♡

#1824: Post by bicktrav »

Just want to note that Klatch's Wush Wush is amazing. It's like a watermelon jolly rancher matched with a sour beer. Not for everyone, but if you're into fermented, wild notes, it's wonderful.

wingnutsglory
Supporter ♡

#1825: Post by wingnutsglory »

Quick report back on the Halo Bariti...

We'll see how it develops post-roast, but two days out I'm not finding what I'd hoped for based on the notes on the HM website. Granted, it's my first attempt at roasting it (which was very straightforward), and, while it's certainly a solid bean and there's are no significant defects, I was expecting more from it (fruit, etc.). Maybe more will come as it sits. I'll also try to target some different curves going forward.

TomC
Team HB

#1826: Post by TomC »

bicktrav wrote:Just want to note that Klatch's Wush Wush is amazing. It's like a watermelon jolly rancher matched with a sour beer. Not for everyone, but if you're into fermented, wild notes, it's wonderful.
TomC wrote: The fact that Klatch is offering the green bodes well for me. And this is big praise in my case, because my last experience with it roasted via Revel was atrocious. The coffee last year looked like floor sweepings, about 60% or more were quakers, stunk like hell and were so heavily processed that it didn't even resemble anything tasting like coffee. But if Klatch is willing to put their name behind it, it must be at least better than what I experienced last time.

Well....... :oops:

For me, it's a hair better and still likely getting tossed in the trash. I'm not sensitive about naturals or newfangled processing methods, but this coffee smells like melted crayons and tastes like rancid clove, bbq sauce.

akirapuff
Supporter

#1827: Post by akirapuff »

TomC wrote: Well....... :oops:

For me, it's a hair better and still likely getting tossed in the trash. I'm not sensitive about naturals or newfangled processing methods, but this coffee smells like melted crayons and tastes like rancid clove, bbq sauce.
wow, even the klatch one is no good huh?

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
tgappmayer

#1828: Post by tgappmayer » replying to akirapuff »

I just roasted it for the first time yesterday and cupped this morning. Smells like jolly ranchers, almost sickly sweet aroma. Taste follows, heavily perfumed, candy, light acidity, sweet. I can see why this would be a divisive cup, and how many might not care for it at all. I'll come back in 5-6 days to see how these flavors develop.

Might make for WILD espresso.

Roasty

#1829: Post by Roasty »

When I was brewing it, my wife asked if I was eating a tuna fish sandwich . . .

Despite all thats been said, I enjoyed it ok. I thought it was unique and drinkable. Definitely not a daily drinker though.

bicktrav
Supporter ♡

#1830: Post by bicktrav »

I don't catch the melted crayon thing, but I get what you're saying. It's a wild coffee and, as others have mentioned, will surely land in a polarizing way. The fermented notes smack of a sour beer for me -- maybe a kombucha. I love it, but then I enjoy those fermented touchstones. I guess it's a bit like an Islay scotch; some will love it, others will hate it.