Greens Alert - Page 168

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
bicktrav

#1671: Post by bicktrav »

Case17 wrote:Can you share your profile? The SM description listed the DP characteristics as 'intense'. If a lot of us all get the same result with repeated tries, i will definitely contact them.
Sure. Here you go. This was my first go with the bean. Not entirely pleased with this profile (longer dry phase than I would like, lower DTR, slight flattening upon approach of 1C). Still, it's certainly serviceable, and I expected better flavors than I'm getting.

bicktrav

#1672: Post by bicktrav »

John P wrote: ...Many years ago I learned that when fifty professional roasters get what is a good coffee (90+), and forty-eight of them have less than stellar results with the coffee - it's not the coffee.
You're suggesting that 96% of professional specialty coffee roasters are flatly incompetent?

I posted my Benti profile above; you're welcome to take a look. It was my first time with the bean. Not the best roast in history, but successful enough to show at least some unique characteristics. I'm getting nothing particularly interesting from it.

Boldjava

#1673: Post by Boldjava »

Folks, might we use the Benti thread and let the "Greens Alert" thread serve its general purpose? Thanks.

Ethiopia D.P. Benti Nenka Discussion
-----
LMWDP #339
★ Helpful

mkane
Supporter ♡

#1674: Post by mkane »

★ Helpful

jlehet

#1675: Post by jlehet »

This caught my eye, new at Sweet Marias:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/ethiopia-dr ... -6611.html

Ethiopia Dry Process Hambela Goro

Potent aromatics and intense fruited character, raspberry jam, strawberry taffy, dried dark fruits, floral berry, big body and mild acidity. Full City roasts have a flavor note of chocolate-covered dried blueberries. City to Full City.

This looks like a coffee I would like, so I ordered 5 lbs

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#1676: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to jlehet »

John rarely have I seen the flavor wheel be so strong for fruits and berry. It does look interesting.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Chert

#1677: Post by Chert »

John P wrote:
Oh, and as a side note, I would highly recommend the Kenya Nyeri Mahiga double washed double fermented from Royal. It's an exceptional coffee.
Thanks for the tip.

Others:
I jumped on that and can distribute up to 17# since I only need a good 5 of it to enjoy. PM me if interested. It should be here within the week and I can ship early the following. Also listed in Buy/Sell.
LMWDP #198

tyfabes

#1678: Post by tyfabes »

jlehet wrote:This caught my eye, new at Sweet Marias:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/ethiopia-dr ... -6611.html

Ethiopia Dry Process Hambela Goro

Potent aromatics and intense fruited character, raspberry jam, strawberry taffy, dried dark fruits, floral berry, big body and mild acidity. Full City roasts have a flavor note of chocolate-covered dried blueberries. City to Full City.

This looks like a coffee I would like, so I ordered 5 lbs
I ordered 10 pounds. This one is right in my wheelhouse.

cmapes

#1679: Post by cmapes »

Sweet Marias has a new 92.2pt Ethiopian which has "heavy fruit flavors, raspberry and blueberry preserves, tropical fruit salad, nectarine, mango...". It is supposed to be a cleaner cup which doesn't have fruit ferment flavors sometimes present in DP coffees. https://www.sweetmarias.com/ethiopia-or ... -6620.html

littlenut

#1680: Post by littlenut »

I feel like I'm handing out free drink coupons as the folks are going to an AlAnon mtg.

Came across this at Roastmasters. Ethiopia Yirg Wudi Mikeso Natural Grade 1

Cup Characteristics: Flavors of mango, banana, earthy, vanilla, dried apricot. Fleshy, smooth texture of pear, peach or baker's chocolate. Medium fruit intensity that is assertive but not overpowering. Clean.

I'm full-up ATM but wanted to pass it on. ---I KNOW---I KNOW--- full-up is a very loose term on this forum. :-/

HTH,
-LN