Greens Alert - Page 144

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
cmapes

#1431: Post by cmapes »

bradm wrote:Shantawene had about a dozen obvious quakers to pick out of my 325g batch, post-roast. There were more beans that had a slightly lighter appearance than average, but grinding them up together with the rest produced an excellent pour-over cup so for me those can be ignored.
Agreed on both counts on the quakers. Out of curiosity, I did nibble a quaker to see how it'd affect my cup and was like "ugh yep that's INTENSE peanut flavor". So now I pick them out. :D

But I did pull multiple shots where I left the quakers in and didn't notice.

tgappmayer

#1432: Post by tgappmayer »

thanks so much for the heads up on the shantawene. one of my all time favorite coffees.

was anyone else disappointed by sweet maria's offering of the wet processed shantawene? i thought it was fine, but nowhere near the quality of the dry processed lot.

love this stuff as an espresso component.

Advertisement
cmapes

#1433: Post by cmapes replying to tgappmayer »

No problem, you'll definitely enjoy the Shantawene

I haven't been impressed with any of Sweet Maria's offerings since Sidema Keramo last year. I'm hoping that'll change with the new Ethiopians showing up stateside now. Or maybe I'm just getting pickier nowadays. I'm also waiting patiently for some of the 2020 Panama Elida Estate Natural lots to come up for sale.

bicktrav

#1434: Post by bicktrav »

cmapes wrote:Happy Mug had it, but I'm 99.9% sure their batch came from here: https://www.interamericancoffee.com/eth ... l-organic/

Interamerican still has plenty of bags so I expect it to go up for sale again. The Misty Valley is supposed to be good but it didn't get nearly as much attention as the Shantawene from me. Not sure if it was my roast. The Misty Valley seemed like "a good, well mannered Ethiopian' but not a standout compared to the Shantawene. But then again I'm a fan of fruit bombs.

EDIT: Royal Coffee also appears to be getting a lot: https://royalcoffee.com/product/46892/
I just ordered some from Happy Mug. Question though: Would Royal's Shantawene be any different than Happy Mug's? Are they literally the same beans from the same co-op, or are they just from the same region?

Also, for what it's worth, I feel the same about Misty Valley. It's a very good cup, but not earthshattering like some other berry bomb naturals from Ethiopia.

tgappmayer

#1435: Post by tgappmayer »

cmapes wrote:No problem, you'll definitely enjoy the Shantawene

I haven't been impressed with any of Sweet Maria's offerings since Sidema Keramo last year. I'm hoping that'll change with the new Ethiopians showing up stateside now. Or maybe I'm just getting pickier nowadays. I'm also waiting patiently for some of the 2020 Panama Elida Estate Natural lots to come up for sale.
Do you normally get the Elida Estate from Roastmasters or where? Heard so much about that crop, but I've never found it unroasted.

wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#1436: Post by wingnutsglory replying to tgappmayer »

That's where I got it. It also stands out for me as a very memorable one.

cmapes

#1437: Post by cmapes »

tgappmayer wrote:Do you normally get the Elida Estate from Roastmasters or where? Heard so much about that crop, but I've never found it unroasted.
Roastmasters mostly

Advertisement
wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#1438: Post by wingnutsglory »

Any thoughts/tips on roasting the Shantawene yet? Maybe it's a bit off-topic here...

Edit: for the Misty Mtn, I'm only on my third small-batch roast, but I've found that going fast and dropping a little further into first crack (probably close to end) and at a higher-than-usual temp seems to be helping. This is an interesting/finicky bean! The latest batch was the fastest and I'm getting an oddly floral and somewhat savory aroma 1d out.

wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#1439: Post by wingnutsglory »

Sweet Maria's has a washed Shantawene...that would make for an interesting comparison perhaps.

TomC
Team HB

#1440: Post by TomC »

10 pounds of the Ethiopia Sidama Shantawene Village incoming from Sweet Maria's. I'm planning on vacuum sealing about 7 pounds of it and storing it in the chest freezer (-14º) and gloating about it in the future.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/