Greens Alert - Decaf Version - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
drgary
Team HB

#11: Post by drgary »

I've added tasting notes to my Indian Robusta post just above.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

vecchi della seattle
Supporter ❤

#12: Post by vecchi della seattle »

Anybody check out this Crown Jewel: CROWN JEWEL DECAF GUATEMALA SUCHITEPÉQUEZ FAMILIA BRESSANI MOUNTAIN WATER PROCESS CJ1479 - 28482 - SPOT RCWHSE. My spouse likes the Columbia and Honduran offerings but the Columbia RS is now sold out at Burman so I'm giving this a look.

LBIespresso (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by LBIespresso (original poster) replying to vecchi della seattle »

Looks worth a try. If you do try it, please let us know what you think!
LMWDP #580

drgary
Team HB

#14: Post by drgary »

Success! Here's an update to my test roasting of the Indian Robusta decaf sourced by Matt at Cantina Coffee. I was able to get a good roast by taking it just into second crack. The primary taste component was bittersweet chocolate. The pull didn't seem especially high in crema, but I'm using paper filters at the bottom of the basket. I will update this post after trying a shot without a filter.

My roasting technique was to not use a steadily declining BT ROR from mid 1C through the brief entry into 2C. This was a somewhat successful attempt to adapt professional roaster and instructor Neal Wilson's (N3Roaster) (Wilson's Coffee and Tea) approach of using an increasing BT ROR toward the end of the roast to preserve some earlier roast characteristics and impart dark roast flavors. He discussed that in this post, and I've successfully used it with other roasts. On a final roast with the remaining quantity I will try to approach 2C with more momentum and may go about 10 seconds further into 2C to try and develop distillate flavors.

Added 8/30: I'm still getting a robusta stimulant kick from this coffee, which I've frozen, airtight. It produces good crema but not different than some other coffees that I pull.

I also tried an approach for low acid Italian roasts suggested by OldmatefromOZ (Stephen), a far more experienced roaster than me. Here are his basic instructions adapted from another thread:

Charge hot, then high power after soak.
Gas dip at 340F to 12.5-14.5 ROR
Bump gas to 16-18F to reach 1C
Robust 1C declines to 9-11 ROR
Increase power to 12.5-14.5 ROR to 2C

That didn't work so well with this coffee. It was low acid but very bland. It's an approach that has worked well for me with different greens. Although this one-off roast was a wild ride, cupping it provided sufficient proof of concept that the Neal Wilson approach to this green is better.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

vecchi della seattle
Supporter ❤

#15: Post by vecchi della seattle »

https://royalcoffee.com/product/3427097000013592165/
CROWN JEWEL DECAF GUATEMALA SUCHITEPÉQUEZ FAMILIA BRESSANI MOUNTAIN WATER

I roasted up a pound of this on my Behmor 2000AB. FC@10 min, drop at 13min, about a Full City roast. 2 days off the roast I poured a 2:1 shot. I immediately get a lot of brightness that settles into a cherry stone. My wife's decaf is a 3:1 shot at a coarser grind, lower brew temp than I like (~199F). She prefers lower extraction. 8oz coffee plus an 1oz of milk. She gets an aftertaste of hazelnut. Her comment was, "It's kind of hard. Can you do something about that?" I'm guessing that's the brightness which I'll try and lower with a more extended roast. The nice thing about this coffee is a complete absence of any decaffy taste. I'll be happy to drink a lot of this.

I just ordered 10lbs of Honduras Marcala Organic Mountain Water Decaf from Hacea Coffee Source. My wife loves this stuff. Lots of cocoa.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#16: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

If you haven't tried the Colombia Palo Rosa Sugarcane from Klatch, it's been a big winner over here. It's 7.60/lb if you order 10. With free shipping that is pretty competitive these days.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

positivelypositiv

#17: Post by positivelypositiv »

EA Mexico Esmeralda
I've really been enjoying this decaf from Burman Coffee Traders lately. It's got a good sweetness and pleasant chocolate notes. I tend to prefer EA to SWP so it was nice to find one from outside of Colombia.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#18: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:If you haven't tried the Colombia Palo Rosa Sugarcane from Klatch, it's been a big winner over here. It's 7.60/lb if you order 10. With free shipping that is pretty competitive these days.

Hacea now has a Columbia EA Sugarcane.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

mpdeem
Team HB

#19: Post by mpdeem »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote: Hacea now has a Columbia EA Sugarcane.
Back in stock at Hacea- just ordered some for the first time.

Captain's Coffee has the following two EA Sugarcane decafs in:

Colombia Excelso EA Sugar Cane Decaf

Mexico Oaxaca Esmeralda EA Sugar Cane Decaf

Placed an order for both, look forward to trying them both.

Highly recommend the following EA Sugarcane decaf natural from Sagebrush Unroasted:

Colombia Jairo Arcila Natural Decaf

Rich chocolate covered strawberries and juicy red apples with underlying tart strawberry leaf note. Does great at both City and Full City roast levels. One of those 'I can't believe this is decaf' type coffees.

Since developing some recent neuroendocrine issues resulting in limited caffeine tolerance, I have been drinking more decafs. Not being a fan in general - of either Mountain or Swiss Water decaf process coffees, I am grateful for the advent of EA Sugarcane decaf processing. Finally a decaf process that does not completely rob coffee of its flavor profile. Instead of dreading drinking more decaf, I actaully look forward to discovering more tasty coffees.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#20: Post by Milligan »

I'm hoping Hacea still has some when I get back from vacation. I've been wanting to add some decaf to my rotations but haven't cared much for what I've tried so far. Most require a deeper roast than I typically enjoy. Hacea noted a medium roast but if those flavors still shine through then that could be interesting. The true test is with espresso.