Green Coffee Exchange - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by yakster »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote: What I don't understand about Crown Royal is their terminology - is the viscosity really Fudge Pudding and Cream ? The terminology makes it sound really hard to trust the tasting notes.
Not only viscosity but cleanliness also seems to just contain flavor notes from the coffee that are only tangentially related to the viscosity and cleanliness of the coffee.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

bradm
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by bradm »

I do like how Royal uses this interactive graphic to describe flavors:

For this Peru, I was initially put off by the mention of peanut butter in the tasting notes. But after hovering the mouse over each flavor in the graphic, you can see that Milk Chocolate and Orange got 8 votes, Strawberry 5, and Peanut Butter only 4. This is a cool way to show what I assume is all of the feedback from a variety of tasters.

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
littlenut

#13: Post by littlenut »

bradm wrote: <SNIP>hovering the mouse over each flavor in the graphic, you can see that Milk Chocolate and Orange got 8 votes, Strawberry 5, and Peanut Butter only 4. <SNIP>
I've been using that graphic for awhile and never noted the hover feature. It is cool and helpful....Thx

bicktrav
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by bicktrav »

On the subject of Royal and their flavor descriptions...

From where I sit, they throw far too many flavor notes into their graphics. It's true that they assign values to the flavors, but the values/notes are totally unreliable. Case in point, check out this flavor graphic from one of their current Crown Jewels: Peru Villa Rica Dabovert Marin Ludena Biodynamic Organic. The dominant notes are peach and pear, with values of 5 and 4 respectively...

Now check out the tasting notes listed in the roast section of the same coffee. Not a single mention of peach, the highest value flavor according to their taste graphic, and scarcely a mention of pear. Instead, we're told to expect loads of apple, brown sugar, and chocolate -- notes that hardly appear on their flavor graphic.

To confound matters more, the product page bears a video in which Royal's tasters note loads of florals, citrus, and almond. In combination, I have no clue what to expect from the coffee. That doesn't mean it won't be good, but from a flavor perspective, it's a roll of the dice.

Where I think Royal excels is in sourcing unique coffees. This year's Keramo Niguse Gemeda is a great example; it's the same crop that won the 2020 Cup of Excellence. I've bought from them several times -- I still have a good amount of their natural Bedhatu Jibicho Crown Jewel; if you're interested in grabbing some, send me a PM -- and owing to their singular coffees, I will continue to do so. But the way they communicate flavor is almost comically unreliable.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#15: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Gary is 100%. That's why I more often walk away. I hit a state of confusion.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

littlenut

#16: Post by littlenut »

bicktrav wrote:On the subject of Royal and their flavor descriptions...

<SNIP>
Now check out the tasting notes listed in the roast section of the same coffee. Not a single mention of peach, the highest value flavor according to their taste graphic, and scarcely a mention of pear. Instead, we're told to expect loads of apple, brown sugar, and chocolate -- notes that hardly appear on their flavor graphic.

<SNIP>
Gary, I don't know the details on how they assemble their tasting graphic. To be fair though it does show up under the the "Ikawa" tab and the "Brew" tab.

FTR there was no sound of a gauntlet hitting the ground here.

-LN

bicktrav
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by bicktrav » replying to littlenut »

Yeah, it is in the Ikawa section. I hadn't noticed that because it's not pertinent to me (I don't own an Ikawa or any similar sample roaster). But I still feel Royal has an issue here. They have chosen to market this coffee in several sections -- flavor cloud, video, roasting notes, Ikawa notes -- and many of those sections contain incongruous flavor references. I find that needlessly confusing. The flavor cloud alone would be fine, especially if it were stripped down to communicate the coffee's essence with more clarity, but I don't see the value in myriad sections with competing flavor notes.

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#18: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Ninety Plus Gesha Estates has their amazing Kambera Gesha available both roasted and green. It is definitely the finest Gesha I've had all of 2020. It's not cheap, but I'd say it's worth the indulgence if you want a unicorn coffee. If you buy 1 kilo of green, and pick up 100g of roasted, you should also hit the free shipping level.

They're spot on with the flavor description. It has very articulate and clear flavor of maraschino cherry and dark chocolate.

https://www.ninetypluscoffee.com/kamber ... 16fd43adaa

bicktrav
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by bicktrav » replying to TomC »

This is extremely tempting. My only concern is that it may not be bright enough for my taste. The notes of dark chocolate and maraschino cherry make it sound fairly low-toned. Is that right, or does it still have nice acidity and brightness along with those notes?

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#20: Post by TomC (original poster) » replying to bicktrav »

No, it's rather exemplary. Great acidity and finesse. I'm going to end up with a kilo of it one way or another. Not one to be missed....