Green coffee beans shelf life - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
NightFlight

#21: Post by NightFlight »

I agree with Dave and I vacuum seal in half gallon mason jars and stick them in a -10 or so chest freezer. Works good for me. YMMV

portamento

#22: Post by portamento »

edtbjon wrote:I roasted one of my favourites a bit lighter than usual (barely to 1Ce just for the purpose of finding the more delicate tastes) and the first thing that struck me and a friend of mine was "wood". Is that a typical defect due to the age of the beans?
Yes. Wood / papery notes.

Some green coffees degrade much more quickly than others. A lot of this has to do with how the coffee was processed and dried.
Ryan

brianl

#23: Post by brianl replying to portamento »

I wouldn't think 'wood' would be exclusive to old beans. Coffee that I underextract when brewing sometimes tastes like wood or even ones I extract too much. And sometimes when reputable pro roasters go too light I get mostly wood and id assume they aren't using super old beans.

r.rowlan

#24: Post by r.rowlan »

I read that you should not store green coffee in a plastic bag more than a couple of weeks. I made cloth bags that are breathable and rotate them once a month so they can breathe.

Bodka Coffee

#25: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Hmmm. What about the grain pro bags the exporters/importers use then? They are plastic and sealed quite well.