Goal: A Huky 500 with digital controls and display - Page 6

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Chert

#51: Post by Chert »

Fabulous.

Can you list the features you ended up including?

Thanks for sharing this great roaster assembly!
LMWDP #198

Rickpatbrown

#52: Post by Rickpatbrown »

Robert_S wrote:Construction and paint coat complete. Pics below:

I am now waiting for the door replacement before I can add any beans.
That's some impressive work. Looks really clean.
Although ... it doesn't look like a Huky anymore :lol:

littlenut

#53: Post by littlenut »

All New Huky 2.0 ?

New Huky 600? ;-)

Robert_S (original poster)

#54: Post by Robert_S (original poster) »

Chert wrote:Fabulous.

Can you list the features you ended up including?

Thanks for sharing this great roaster assembly!
Sure thing, here are the high level items:
  • Two manual controls: Power Switch, Gas Ball Valve (for safety shut off)
  • Digital On/Off switches for: Gas, Drum, Exhaust Fan, Bean Cooling Fan
  • Gas On forces drum and air on, starts igniter and gas flow. Drum and air cannot be turned off while gas is on
  • Slider controls for: Gas pressure, drum speed, exhaust fan speed
  • Drum speed is monitored with Encoder and PID, ie RPM is guaranteed to be accurate even with different batch sizes
  • Ambient measures: Outdoor temp, Humidity, and Barometric Pressure
  • Temps monitored: BT, ET, MET, and Chaff Collector
  • Digital air pressure measure for exhaust fan speed
  • BT and ET have a 'Rate of Change' progress bar under the temp. The progress bar shows red with the ROC value when the temp is rising and shows blue and the number when the temp is falling. ie. Bar is 0-10 value, so a +8 ROC will show a large red bar, -5 shows a medium blue bar, etc. Easy way to see a quick visual of temps going up/down and the rate.
  • Digital timer - start/stop/pause
  • Phidget network server running so Artisan can connect to temp readings.
Still waiting for my replacement bean door.. :(

Chert

#55: Post by Chert »

Really great!

I have a slider for air flow. I use instead button commands to set it though. and to log my gas setting. Artisan has single button commands like press w20 for power level 20.
LMWDP #198

#56: Post by Robert_S (original poster) »

I am starting to play with the Artisan config stuff now and getting the phidgets connected. I worked through most of it but it took some re-wiring of how my TCs were connected as Artisan assumes some specific configs.

I am looking at the events area and trying to understand the Action list. I couldn't find any docs detailing out what each one does or the format of the command. Does anyone know of any docs on these? I am looking to have an action call a URL with some parameters and I don't see anything obvious except maybe 'Call a program' which I would need to pass in params somehow.

Thanks in advance!

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#57: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

The Quick Start Guide, link in my signature. You can post follow up questions here. My 2 cents is look at each page to understand the features and what is possible then dig deeper and if you run into issues let us know. Michael
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

#58: Post by Robert_S (original poster) »

Major milestone today - first official roast!

I received the replacement part and everything works great now. I ran seven seasoning roasts with some seasoning greens. I used this time to try different settings for gas, air, etc. Especially since my config is a different combo of burner, roaster, chaff collector, etc I had to do a lot of trial and error to find the right settings. I thought I had it down but when I tried a 'real' roast last night, I discovered the seasoning greens had a much different FC temp then 'real' beans meant for drinking and my roast stalled major time. Doh!

After a few more adjustments, I ran two batches of a Colombian Hulla Timana. I would like to get some feedback on the roast profiles as this is my first go at it. In Artisan, I have DeltaSpan at 15sec and all curve smoothing is turned off. While I was waiting for the replacement part, I added a real-time graphing widget to my software, accessed via a browser on a second device/tablet. It auto tracks any gas changes based on the screen slider. I have included the screen shot for this as well so you can see the gas changes.

Roast #1

Roast #2

Interesting note: I noticed Artisan shows a nosier graph during the real-time roast and then once the roast is done you see a cleaned up version. My graph is from the real-time roast window. Does anyone know if there is a setting in Artisan to have the real-time graph match the post-roast graph? I do have Optimal Smoothing Post Roast turned OFF.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#59: Post by Brewzologist »

Congrats on the first roast! Some suggestions that will help others provide feedback on your profiles:

1) Mark the Dry End event in Artisan
2) Mark Gas events (in kPa or other unit) in Artisan. Also air changes too.
3) Your probe temps seem off. Did you test them with freezing/boiling water to see if they need to have calibration offsets in Artisan? Also, which probes are you using (TC, RTD and diameter)? This will help in recommending Artisan settings for DeltaSpan and smoothing.

Something to experiment with on your next roast, try adding more gas after TP to drive your max deltaBT RoR to around 40F/min before starting your decline. This will help achieve a roughly 50/30/20 phase breakdown which is a good place to start when dialing in a roast.

Rickpatbrown

#60: Post by Rickpatbrown »

You might want to try grounding the roaster. Even though, it doesn't look like electrical noise, my curves do wacky stuff if I disconnect my grounding wire (big wire from roaster handle to a cold water pipe in my house).

I've never quite understood all the smooth settings, but played with them to get a balance between real time responsiveness and readability. Mostly, Ive learned to not react to dips and peaks until about 10-15seconds duration.

Take one of your complete roasts and change the smoothing settings, you will see some of them change your curve after the roast is finished.

The guide in Carefreebuzzbuzz signature talks about all this stuff. It clearly states the settings that happen at data acquisition and which are post processing.