Gas Dip Success

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Brewzologist »

I have experimented with various Gas Dip techniques in the past with limited success. Meanwhile, I have this Sumatran I take to a medium roast for blending purposes, and it has defied every technique I've tried to get a really good result. As soon as I get beyond light roast territory it gets hard to control. When I got my copy of Rao's CRBP book I noticed he included a more detailed description of performing the Gas Dip. Today I tried it for the first time on that darned Sumatran and whaddya know; it worked like a charm. Thanks Scott! Just thought I'd pass on this learning from CRBP for anyone who may need it.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz
Supporter

#2: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Congratulations, looks great. What are you blending it with?
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

EddyQ

#3: Post by EddyQ »

How did it taste relative to previous batches?
LMWDP #671

mkane
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mkane »

I'll copy that as I have 4 Sumatran's I can't tame. Your timing is perfect.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Brewzologist »

Michael; I've included the Sumatran in post roast blends with a natural Ethiopian roasted to FCs+15-20F and a natural Brazilian roasted to FCs+20-25F. It's my go-to lately for espresso and I play with the percentages but often just 1/3 of each.

Ed; I'm letting it rest and haven't tasted it yet. Will report back when I do. I still have some of an earlier roast to compare too.

Mike; Let us know if it helps tame your Sumatrans too.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by LBIespresso »

Brewzologist wrote:I have experimented with various Gas Dip techniques in the past with limited success. Meanwhile, I have this Sumatran I take to a medium roast for blending purposes, and it has defied every technique I've tried to get a really good result. As soon as I get beyond light roast territory it gets hard to control. When I got my copy of Rao's CRBP book I noticed he included a more detailed description of performing the Gas Dip. Today I tried it for the first time on that darned Sumatran and whaddya know; it worked like a charm. Thanks Scott! Just thought I'd pass on this learning from CRBP for anyone who may need it.

That's great! I'm in the current session of Scott's class right now. He does an excellent job of explaining his methods.

Could you also post the roast that you did without the dip? I think it would be great to see them side by side.
LMWDP #580

devlin2427

#7: Post by devlin2427 »

This reminds me of a joke that kind of works here: the coffee is bad but the roasting graph looks great.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Brewzologist »

devlin2427 wrote:This reminds me of a joke that kind of works here: the coffee is bad but the roasting graph looks great.
Totally agree. Posting pretty profiles won't tell you how the resulting coffee tastes. 8) Will report back when it's rested and I can compare to the prior roast.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Brewzologist »

LBIespresso wrote:That's great! I'm in the current session of Scott's class right now. He does an excellent job of explaining his methods.

Could you also post the roast that you did without the dip? I think it would be great to see them side by side.
Unfortunately I don't have a natural roast profile to show as I was always tinkering with some degree of dip and/or 'wall of heat' application (see one example below :x ). The only straight declining RoR I could get was by ending at FCs+15-20F, but I wanted it darker for my blend. Everything else resulted in some degree of crash and/or flick. I was skeptical that the method in CRBP would make much difference but it did. Now my question is whether it was a fluke or if it's repeatable? And of course whether it makes a difference in the cup? Hoping others can help validate this.

pcofftenyo

#10: Post by pcofftenyo »

I have some really crashy coffee in my stash that's just given me fits.

I've thought about trying the heretical gas bump on it so I probably will this weekend. If it sucks it'll go in the cold brew bucket.