Fresh Roast SR800 - 1/2 lb Air Roaster - Page 25

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
wilsonywx

#241: Post by wilsonywx »

Got the SR800 with extension tube yesterday, and this morning tried using it for the first time.

I manage (roughly) bean temperature by sliding a thermoprobe between the two halves of the chaff collector into the chamber.

I really enjoyed the experience. I used Guatemala Volcan Acatenango swp decaf beans from sweet maria, and was able to bring up the temperature in a very controlled manner, without surprise along the way. I put in about 215g and got out about 188g, which is pretty close to the 14.5% for desired full city roast level. I was tempted to do another batch but already have enough beans to go through first, and that's how I know I enjoyed it.

I left the timer to 20min to eliminate its effect so the focus was on fan speed and power. The rest of the exercise was just turning down these two parameters from 9,9 while keeping an eye on the temperature and rate of rise.

The only iffy part about the roaster is how fragile the glass component feels. I feel that if I am not paying complete attention, sooner or later I will bang and chip it, or maybe get the handle knocked off, or just crack it completely. And the replacement cost is not cheap for that.

The "temperature" this thing displays on the screen is completely meaningless to me. Definitely need the separate thermoprobe to gauge what's going on with the beans.

w3agle

#242: Post by w3agle »

Just had my first roast with an SR-800 with the 12" razzo tube extension. I'm a little confused and wondering if something is wrong with my razzo tube...
At the completion of my roast I want to pick up the tube and dump the beans into a colander for cooling. My first roast I tried to do just that and the razzo tube disconnected from the metal collar and grate components at the bottom and all of the beans poured out of the tube. What a mess.

Is there something wrong with my equipment or am I not understanding how this is supposed to work?

On my second attempt I thought I would just use an oven mitt and hold the two pieces together, but I couldn't get a good grip and had to turn the entire SR-800 unit upside down to dump the beans.

This equipment was purchased from the classifieds on this forum sold as brand new/unused. It looks like there is a silicon seal around the bottom of the tube that's supposed to hold the two pieces together by friction. Any advice would be super appreciated!

GregoryJ (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#243: Post by GregoryJ (original poster) »

I'm not sure if it's just held on with friction or glued on. I would contact Razzo and ask if he has suggestions.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/RazzoRoasting ... 1298268549

SutterMill

#244: Post by SutterMill »

w3agle wrote:Just had my first roast with an SR-800 with the 12" razzo tube extension. I'm a little confused and wondering if something is wrong with my razzo tube...
At the completion of my roast I want to pick up the tube and dump the beans into a colander for cooling. My first roast I tried to do just that and the razzo tube disconnected from the metal collar and grate components at the bottom and all of the beans poured out of the tube. What a mess.

Is there something wrong with my equipment or am I not understanding how this is supposed to work?

On my second attempt I thought I would just use an oven mitt and hold the two pieces together, but I couldn't get a good grip and had to turn the entire SR-800 unit upside down to dump the beans.

This equipment was purchased from the classifieds on this forum sold as brand new/unused. It looks like there is a silicon seal around the bottom of the tube that's supposed to hold the two pieces together by friction. Any advice would be super appreciated!
Contact Kent at Razzo. I had the same thing happen to mine and he fixed it up. It cost the price of shipping to him.
I believe the glue he used on the v4 series tubes has a tendency to delaminate after a certain number of heat/cool cycles. I only have a few roasts on my repaired tube but so far its good.

w3agle

#245: Post by w3agle »

Thanks everyone. As suggested Kent immediately agreed to repair the tube for only the cost of shipping and requested I make a $20 donation to a charity of my choice. What a great vendor and person!