First time roasting, level recommendation

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
OK31
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by OK31 »

Not sure how to best pose this question. Having realized through a lot of reading on here that what I like is a true Italian style more robust flavor with low to no acidity clean in cup and for fear of never settling on anything I've done two things. First I started testing out Saka blends to see how I like and have to say I like, but second I decided why not just even if I fail try to roast my own. So I already have the popcorn pot super high tech I know, save the flaming for another time. My hope is to be able to do a darker roast similar to northern Italian or in that range and I'm not sure how to find the characteristics needed while doing the roast. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Milligan »

A little more clarity on your question would help. Are you needing green coffee suggestions? General roast tips?

mkane
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mkane »

Put 200g of beans in a hot popper and wait for 1st crack. When it ends, wait a bit more for 2nd crack. When you like the smell dump it in a colander and cool as fast as possible. A light mist of water works as does a big fan. Enjoy

GDM528

#4: Post by GDM528 »

This might be the thread that explains what a Northern Italian roast is.

There's a roaster in Seattle, Vivace, that says this about their roasts: "Vivace roasts in the northern Italian tradition which David discovered in 1989 during his travels in Italy. This style when applied to mild-Arabica coffee results in the highest caramelized sugar content and varietal flavor development in the brewed coffee." Sounds interesting, but not very helpful for a home roaster.

So, exactly what is a Northen Italian roast technique - are there flames involved?

GDM528

#5: Post by GDM528 »

mkane wrote:... cool as fast as possible. A light mist of water works as does a big fan.
I can think of a few reasons why, but I don't learn anything from guessing: what's the purpose of rapid cooling in this particular workflow?

mkane
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mkane »

If you don't cool the beans as fast as possible, they have a tendency to bake and you also do not any more development to occur.

OK31 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by OK31 (original poster) »

Milligan wrote:A little more clarity on your question would help. Are you needing green coffee suggestions? General roast tips?
All of the above. I sourced from sweet Maria's so optimistic for a first batch will be ok. I don't anticipate doing any blending for fear of not knowing how and I'm sure that's a story of it's own. Then it's the how but more importantly how to not. So far I get hot hopper, x amount of beans, wait till cracking then smell dump cool. Sounds simple enough but this is one of those where I don't know what I don't know. Any first timer gotchas or look out for...?

mkane
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by mkane »

Fire

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by Milligan »

OK31 wrote:All of the above. I sourced from sweet Maria's so optimistic for a first batch will be ok. I don't anticipate doing any blending for fear of not knowing how and I'm sure that's a story of it's own. Then it's the how but more importantly how to not. So far I get hot hopper, x amount of beans, wait till cracking then smell dump cool. Sounds simple enough but this is one of those where I don't know what I don't know. Any first timer gotchas or look out for...?
I can't give any specifics on roasting with a popcorn popper because I started on a Behmor. I believe air poppers go a bit quicker than most suggestions you will find for traditional gas drum roasters so you are likely looking at between 4-5 mins before you hear the first cracks. Don't get too excited, you aren't done yet. Keep going until those quiet down. There will be a bit of a lull and then you will hear a second round of cracks. These will likely be quieter, more like Rice Krispies. Start watching close. When those cracks start picking then you are done. What most consider "Italian" roast will be pulled mid 2nd crack. Northern Italian roast can be different in a few ways as far as I am aware. They typically have no robusta and are more of a medium/medium dark roast. They'd be taken off before second crack.

My biggest suggestion is to manage your expectations. Many people think of roasting coffee like baking muffins. Set the heat, set the timer, and listen for the beep. Not at all. There is a lifetime of knowledge to gain to make great coffee. Best thing you can do is to start roasting and get some experience under your belt. Watch the color changes, take notes on everything you see, keep a roast log, and compare roasts. You'll either love it and fall down the rabbit hole or know it is not for you very quickly :)

mkane
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by mkane »

If the OP is using a popcorn popper such as a whirley pop, drill a small hole in the lid and stick a thermometer in it. Heat until 400°+ and add beans. Just raise the popper off the fire to regulate heat. Keep it close to 400-450° until color change then raise pan off heat 2" or so so temp comes down. Wait for cracks to happen. Results can be surprising.