First home roaster - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Jesse.F (original poster)

#11: Post by Jesse.F (original poster) »

littlenut wrote:Hi Jesse,

I think we need a little more info from you. The first thing you need to answer is where are you going to roast in the winter months? If indoors you'll need to address how to vent the roaster outside. Very strong kitchen vent exhausting to the ATM? Heated Garage? (I "believe" the Behmor doesn't need to be vented to the ATM, but I am not sure.)

Back of a napkin for capacity....
  • 40g roasted/day is equivalent to ~47g green/day
  • So in 2 weeks you need to roast : 47g green/day X 14 days = 660g green
Also most people gift roasted coffee to friends so this is probably a little low. Maybe 800-900g green every 2 weeks. How many roasts do you want to do every 2 weeks?

Regards,
-Tom
Thank you for your reply.

Capacity was my main concern with some of the cheaper roasters. I would like to be able to roast more than Terri days of coffee at a time. Plus, assuming I learn to do a decent job, I do have people who'd appreciate it as a gift.

At the time of my original post, I had thought roasting could be done in doors, but I do have an insulated garage.

Since making my post, I've been reading more and watching a few YouTube videos. It seems that the Behmor is my best option. With its pre programs and manual mode, large capacity, and ability to use indoors, it seems like a roaster one can grow into.

I am open to other suggestions, and certainly open to hearing about any downfalls the Behmor has.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Brewzologist »

The Behmor is solid and parts are reasonably priced. Joe also provides upgraded parts to help you keep it current. If you get one, run it in manual mode from the get-go. Search the Roasting forum as there are some helpful posts on the Behmor. And yes you'll need to vent to the outside. Even with the afterburner a lot of smoke is generated. The Behmor is certainly good for 2-3 years of learning, and then you can decide if and how much further down the rabbit hole you want to go.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
ira
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by ira »

The one issue you'll run into in the Behmor is the inability to monitor the roasts. You can within limits control the heat, but unless you're very committed and handy, you'll never know bean temperature. I would ask what you're looking for in a roast? Some things are reasonable to do in a Behmor and others not so much. You'll always notice in the comments of people who've moved on how much more control they have in the upgrade and how consistently better their roasts got.

Ira

roastnbrew

#14: Post by roastnbrew »

Jesse.F wrote: My main question is, if I'm willing to spend up to $500 how much of a difference is there between something like the popper, or a more expensive machine. What would you all suggest for a first roaster that one won't want to upgrade immediately upon discovering that they like roasting. (Keeping the budget around $500)
If you have a heat gun around the house you may be able to try out roasting with no investment. And you will learn a lot in a short time because you can see and smell the beans as the roast progresses.

It may take a few tries to figure out the heat input required to finish a roast in 10-12 minutes, but the first time you get it right it is pretty thrilling!

After some years of heat gun roasting I got tired of stirring and invested in a Quest M3...by then I knew what I wanted in a roaster.

Karl