First Crack End

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by mkane »

Folks, I haven't been marking 1C temperature in Artisan and have decided to start ticking that box.

My question is should I just go by sound?

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#2: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I think that is what many do, but as you know it can end up being pretty sparse cracks at the end, so you have to use some judgement. I am not sure there is a big relation to ET like for FCs but maybe someone else will know better.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mkane (original poster) »

I tried this with today's roasts. Almost treated it like you would 1c. When the crescendo started to stretch out around 417° on both Guatemala Atitlan roasts. Now I'll have an easier time determining the time when shooting for 30 sec after 1C.

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

The beginning and end of the first crack will depend on the charge weight -- the more beans, the more early and late cracking outliers.

For my roasting style, I find the end of the first crack has no real bearing. I like to start the final phase timing at 190C (375F). For my usual bean loads, the first crack typically, but not always starts, 5C and about 45 seconds later. I end my light roasts 3 minutes after I start timing, my medium ones at 3:30 after, and my "dark" ones (first pops of second) at 4 minutes after. This is rough, since I also go by smell; but for most coffees, less than three minutes from the 190C starting point is undeveloped.
Jim Schulman
★ Helpful

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by mkane (original poster) »

I guess I've got some work to do. I've never been able to get 3 minutes into the last phase.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#6: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

mkane wrote:I tried this with today's roasts. Almost treated it like you would 1c. When the crescendo started to stretch out around 417° on both Guatemala Atitlan roasts. Now I'll have an easier time determining the time when shooting for 30 sec after 1C.
Are you talking about FCs or FCe for the 30 seconds?
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mkane (original poster) »

FCe Michael. Sorry. Most of my roasts get dropped around 2 minutes into development And I finally got around to dunking the TC into boiling water. I could only get 205°out of either one. I dialed in a temperature offset in curves. I did x+7 in both. Hope it works.

If I try and get deep into development time wise my percentages head towards 30% dev. Maybe the temp offset will take care of some of this. You know me I like graphs. My wife like em' hot.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Got to 3 min in the last phase. A bit of experimentation. An espresso roast for our youngest. He just bought a Flair.

Mbb

#9: Post by Mbb »

Sound is obviously one of the best indicators.
If you come into it with a lot of heat...momentum .. First crack may be very vigorous, tight and brief. For a first crack in the 7- to 8 minute time frame I think of this as being about 2 minutes or so, then I really start listening hard for the end.

If you come into it slower, it may be more drawn out and difficult to discern both the start and the end. But here's the thing..... You actually don't know when it ended until you're probably 10 seconds past it without several pops. Hard to mark retroactively.....

This is where repeatability and consistency come into play for how you do it. So both batch size and heat play a role.

Visually, the grainy appearance on the beans may also be a good indicator if you like to go beyond first crack some way until the beans begin to expand and the surface smooth out. Still relative to heat and charge. But that degree of roasting tends to take timing out of the equation, you can go on appearance.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by mkane (original poster) »

I should probably start wearing my hearing aids when roasting.