Finally! North Coffee TJ-067 - Gas Version - Page 23

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
drgary
Team HB

#221: Post by drgary »

So are you saying it's the T1 port on your Amprobe that's broken? I will try unplugging each and if I run into the same problem maybe it's really time to Phidget.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

boublanc

#222: Post by boublanc »

I am using Phidget with artisan, plug and use right out of the box... No noise or other issue.
Highly recommended
Marce

drgary
Team HB

#223: Post by drgary »

In a Mac or PC?
Gary
LMWDP#308

osanco

#224: Post by osanco »

Yes. My T1 input has given up the ghost.

I'm burning in an electric TJ-067 in right now. Plumes of smoke outside the shop. Good thing it's Saturday.

Initially the thermocouple wires were crushed between the door and the body and the PID was counting down. Whoops.

I also immediately swapped the stock 10 amp 4 pole relay with a 15 amp version. They use 2 of the poles to handle each side of the heater circuit, splitting the total amperage over 2 sets of contacts. You can do that, but a guy in Missouri has had a problem with that relay. The big concern is that the contacts don't always close at exactly the same time. Sometimes one of them will get burned away leading to catastrophic failure. Besides that, I suspect we may be pulling more amps at 60 hz anyway*. I'm measuring 14.8 amps at 227 volts.

It's probably a pretty good idea to have the heat turned down until the PID calls for heat. Once the contacts close, you can crank up the amperage with impunity. 3500 watts just blasted 1.9 lbs of "Paradise Blend" through deep second crack in about 14 minutes.

The electric version of the TJ-067 is sensitive to air flow. I didn't get much of a rate of rise at all until about 40% air, then it goes like a rocket. Perforated drum?? I don't know, but I'm open to suggestions.

It looks like this roaster will take some getting used to...

*Edit 1/26: I'm relatively reliably informed that according to Ohm's Law (Amperes = Voltage / Resistance (Watts) , hz doesn't effect current flow through a resistive load (heater). I know enough to use electricity without hurting anyone, but an electrical theoretician I am not. I'm always suspicious there's something they didn't bother teach me simply because I was too dense to waste time on.

drgary
Team HB

#225: Post by drgary »

Probe Issue Solved

One of my probes was making contact with metal and thus connecting to the metal frame of the roaster. When I isolated that the problem resolved itself. The Amprobe TMD-56 data logger is fine, and now I'm ready to measure BT and MET ET. :D
Gary
LMWDP#308

JK

#226: Post by JK »

Thats good to hear..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

rawman

#227: Post by rawman »

drgary wrote:Probe Issue Solved

One of my probes was making contact with metal and thus connecting to the metal frame of the roaster. When I isolated that the problem resolved itself. The Amprobe TMD-56 data logger is fine, and now I'm ready to measure BT and MET. :D

So are you going to be roasting this evening by chance?
LMWDP #189

Clint Orchuk

#228: Post by Clint Orchuk »

Those roasters sure look nice Steve. Congratulations on successfully importing them and the support you're offering. Nice job.

boar_d_laze

#229: Post by boar_d_laze »

drgary wrote:Probe Issue Solved... and now I'm ready to measure BT and MET. :D
Congratulations on resolving the issue. We're all looking forward to hearing more about your roaster and roasts.

Are you sure you mean "MET" and not plain old "ET?"

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

drgary
Team HB

#230: Post by drgary »

boar_d_laze wrote:Are you sure you mean "MET" and not plain old "ET?"
Nope? Green here. :mrgreen: The probe is dangling down the bean chute below where the cyclone fan pulls the air through the roaster. It's at the top of the roasting chamber. What would you call it?
Gary
LMWDP#308