Finally! North Coffee TJ-067 - Gas Version - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
smite (original poster)

#11: Post by smite (original poster) »

saoye wrote:Happy for you John! All the memories floods back of the excitement I had and the touch feel for the first time and the sigh of relief realising this thing is real value for money and more than what I had envisioned.

I have easily roasted 1.2kg in the roaster...this is a true 1kg roaster that will allow you to end with 1kg worth of roasted coffee in a single roast.

Looking forward to photos of it's final working station.
Dillon,

Right on. It really is a relief to see that the risk of early adoption was well worth it so far. I will see how far I can push this thing in terms of batch size, but have reason to suspect it will be over 1.2kg based on what I have seen so far.
boar_d_laze wrote: I'm looking forward to seeing some plots, and hearing about things as they further develop.

A raised morning mug to your continued success.
Thanks for the raised mug! Here is the resulting picture of a shot I pulled this morning 2 days after roast from my 3rd batch of roasting over the weekend.

It was so tasty I had two for breakfast.

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
smite (original poster)

#12: Post by smite (original poster) »

Some more pictures showing the roaster details.

Here is a close up of the front drum axle and bearing.

Close up in the cooling tray

Here is a close up of the built in power connections to the cyclone and the cooling tray fan.

View of front with inside drum view.

Here is a picture of the power converter

And last attached is a picture of our toy poodle pup getting cozy on this chilly fall AM with her halloween friend. She is also known as the coffee thief as she oftentimes sneaks up and steals a taste if any is left within her reach.

JK

#13: Post by JK »

Pics of my probes are installation..
Front face was a bear to drill and tap and that is what I did for most of my live..
The steel was super tough like armor plate, My guess is it is PH (Pre-Hardened) series of SS

Third Roast, I just have stretch the length out and this was so easy with gas and air controls.. The probe is offset very low, I'll have to check it in boiling water and find a better replacement... It was easy to tell when drying ended by smell and smoke and 1C could be heard over beans rattling in drum.. Took me months with my Hot Top to hit profiles like this..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

drgary
Team HB

#14: Post by drgary »

This story sure has turned around. Congratulations! Love the pup too. :lol:
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

tamarian

#15: Post by tamarian »

Great pics Johnny! I can clearly see the SSR over the heatsink, and I understand it is driving the solenoid valve? The roaster looks very robust and a great deal at this price without the PID aspect. But having it PID'ed as well is amazing, considering that option alone adds more than the price of this roaster at some of the commercial brands.

I understand the documentation is lacking, but whenever the PID aspect is figured out, I'd like to know what sort of control it offers. Ramp/Soak or single stage at a time, temp over time setting, etc.

Congrats to both of you!
drgary wrote:Love the pup too. :lol:
I mistook it for chaffe :D

saoye

#16: Post by saoye »

looks like they added the hinged access to the heat source and wiring! That would've come in handy to clean out the burnt chaffs.
So it was worth all the initial angst JK? Also looks like gas provides the suspected much improved responsiveness compared to the electric due to lag. Nice work.

JK

#17: Post by JK »

All the PID does is set a max temp..
I never use it except in warm ups..
If you use it say for a Finishing it's up and down to much.. Maybe it needs more time to learning and it will be smoother but I don't pan on using it..

Its pretty easy to just increase the fan up and down to control ROR during a finish..
That seems easier then adjusting the gas after 1C starts

Right now my PID is shot, I can't see any temps on the display just a few dots light now.. Tim told me yesterday he is sending a new one..
To bad I had bought one the night before at eBay..
At one point the PID wasn't working at all.. I was making a movie for Tim, I was pushing buttons to show him nothing changed with display and it working now.. I just can see any numbers on the display..

It looks like 800G is the smallest batch you can run.. I tried two 700G batches and tipped both.. Even with a 300F charge on the second.. 800G batches came out great and was very easy to control.. You just have to take it easy with fan or you'll suck all the heat out..

I
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
drgary
Team HB

#18: Post by drgary »

This is very helpful information. It tells me how to think about the PID in one of these. It also tells me that this is too much roaster for my personal needs, which is not a knock at your roaster. Almost 2 lb. minimum load is a very useful data point.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

smite (original poster)

#19: Post by smite (original poster) »

Great pictures Johnny. Those hinges on the one you have is not the same as mine and are a nice improvement.
Looks like that was one of the additional enhancements they have made.

Also does it have a built in light or did you add that?

Odd you can not roast less than 800g. One of my test runs was 600g and I was able to get no tipping at all. I will do more testing when I have some time this weekend and also take some close up pics of the connections into the PID for you.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

saoye

#20: Post by saoye »

Hi JK,

I think you got to give Northcoffee/Tim some credit that he will help including replacing faulty parts if any free of charge. You could have saved yourself some money if you had waited for their response on the issues.
They can also provide spare parts and the prices they sent me were mostly quite reasonable...although some components you can buy yourself on ebay and the likes cheaper.
So far I have found Tim(s) to be willing to listen and respond quickly and willing to resolve issues. If they keep this kind of attitude before and after sales they will win more businesses with people like me giving them good reviews.
My biggest headache out of this entire process has been shipping (the wait) and port charges/customs clearance.

Also I have roasted at 600g without issue. Any less than that and I'd use my DIY corretto roaster anyway.

Hope to see more results of your roasts and any further findings you might have on this roaster...that hinged access was a good thought...I am at the point now that I'll have to open that panel up with an allen key to clear out the small amount of burnt chaff under the elements. I have already cleared out the chaff collector once and it was a huge pile collected in several buckets and offloaded into my garden. That cyclone is the best thing ever! I have done about 20KG roasts to date.
JK wrote:All the PID does is set a max temp..
I never use it except in warm ups..
If you use it say for a Finishing it's up and down to much.. Maybe it needs more time to learning and it will be smoother but I don't pan on using it..

Its pretty easy to just increase the fan up and down to control ROR during a finish..
That seems easier then adjusting the gas after 1C starts

Right now my PID is shot, I can't see any temps on the display just a few dots light now.. Tim told me yesterday he is sending a new one..
To bad I had bought one the night before at eBay..
At one point the PID wasn't working at all.. I was making a movie for Tim, I was pushing buttons to show him nothing changed with display and it working now.. I just can see any numbers on the display..

It looks like 800G is the smallest batch you can run.. I tried two 700G batches and tipped both.. Even with a 300F charge on the second.. 800G batches came out great and was very easy to control.. You just have to take it easy with fan or you'll suck all the heat out..

I