Exhaust ideas for sample roaster - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
ira
Team HB

#11: Post by ira »

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Inline-V ... B01CTM0JF2

I use 1 of these about 2 feet above my Ikawa 100 Pro and there's an 18" piece of hose directing the air into the fan and it works fine. Connects to standard 6" duct to get it outside. Been using it for a year with no apparent damage or at least none that affects it's operation. Mostly used for exhausting fumes from the solder robot, so I'm sure the fan blade is a mess. Runs a few hours a day on average and been there for 5 years or so. And there are lots of matching filters if you search for venting solutions for greenhouses, i.e., indoor pot farms.

Capuchin Monk

#12: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Sal wrote:I have constructed a makeshift hood out of a cardboard box to place above the roaster and use it near the open window with the window fan.
The distance between roaster exhaust outlet and the "hood" is critical because if it's too far, stray smoke problem, too close, it sucks the heat out of roaster and affect its roasting capability. It's one of those things that requires trial & error.

Aguirre (original poster)

#13: Post by Aguirre (original poster) replying to Capuchin Monk »

I believe sample roasters like the Ikawa and the Link, with their portability and small batch capacity, are built in a way that external conditions are expected to be VERY different and variable... so I assume I shouldn't need to worry too much about the exhaust interfering with the roaster operation.

Which also brings another point of me not wanting to build a complex setup, as I will be using this little guy in different locations very often... for my roastery, I'll probably try the window fan solution and if it's satisfactory I'll likely keep it...

#14: Post by Aguirre (original poster) »

Here's a picture of the little guy BTW

Sal

#15: Post by Sal »

Aguirre wrote:I believe sample roasters like the Ikawa and the Link, with their portability and small batch capacity, are built in a way that external conditions are expected to be VERY different and variable... so I assume I shouldn't need to worry too much about the exhaust interfering with the roaster operation.

Which also brings another point of me not wanting to build a complex setup, as I will be using this little guy in different locations very often... for my roastery, I'll probably try the window fan solution and if it's satisfactory I'll likely keep it...
I agree. At least for the operation of my FreshRoast, it really did not change much where I set the roaster and hood, and fan. During non-winter seasons, I often take it outside on my deck to do the roasting session, the ambient temp difference could be as wide as a low of 40sF to a high of 90sF. I can't take it outside during winter when the temp dips below freezing, but for the 40-90F range, I have not noticed much difference in the resulting roast. Although I am always roasting different beans, so I may have noticed the variation if I kept using the same beans during different ambient temperature conditions.
I am a home-roaster, not a home-barista...

archipelago

#16: Post by archipelago »

I have a Kaffelogic and Ikawa - I vent them both the same way. The little vent cap on the Link/Kaffelogic is the size of a standard 80mm hose. I have a duct hose resting on the top of the machine, which is connected to an AC Infinity Cloudline duct booster which pushes the exhaust through a window (I attached it to a window air conditioner exhaust screen). You'll need to experiment with the AC Infinity unit based on the length of your run to figure out what setting works to get the exhaust out without impacting the airflow in the unit.

#17: Post by Aguirre (original poster) replying to archipelago »

I have that exact same unit that I used with a cyclone for venting my old Huky 500T. I like the possible outcome, what I don't like is how that will impact my workflow - connecting/disconnecting everything before/after each session, move hose away between batches, plus dealing with vent ducts. Isn't this a hassle for you?

archipelago

#18: Post by archipelago »

Kaffelogic's workflow is inherently a hassle - nothing to be done about that. The hose just dangles, so it's not really in the way or an issue. And I'd rather deal with popping a vent in a window at the start of my roast day than breathe carcinogenic roaster exhaust

Erichimedes
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by Erichimedes »

The box fan solution is probably going to work great, but only if you have somewhere (ideally the other side of the room) where makeup air can enter. With no other place in the room for air to come in, the fan will mostly just spin and not do much.

#20: Post by Aguirre (original poster) replying to Erichimedes »

Yes, that's the idea - I have a window at the opposite wall which I'll open to create a good draft