Ethiopian Hambela Hassan Natural - Page 8

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mojoit

#71: Post by mojoit »

Roasted two batches this afternoon. Thought it would be interesting to hear what you predict these roasts will taste like, and maybe we can uncover another aspect of approaching this coffee to bring out the flavor descriptors that enticed us to begin with.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Tennantscoffee

#72: Post by Tennantscoffee »

Drinking some of this right now. Roasted it on 7/22 and its my second cup from this batch. The first was bright and fruity but wasn't a juicy as I expected it to be. It was an enjoyable cup though. This one is a 3 cup Chemex with 18:1 ratio of grinds to water. There is a pronounced berry flavor and the finish is exceptionally clean. Body is very light which is a bit of a disappointment but not completely unexpected given the roast level. I pulled it right after the finish of first crack. It's a reeeaallly good coffee but I wouldn't call it great. I'm not noticing any vegetal notes that others have commented on.

Advertisement
EddyQ

#73: Post by EddyQ »

mojoit wrote:Thought it would be interesting to hear what you predict these roasts will taste like, and maybe we can uncover another aspect of approaching this coffee to bring out the flavor descriptors that enticed us to begin with.
I'm not going to guess how those roasts turn out. But I am curious how they turn out. Relative to the two roasts I did a week ago and profile shown a few posts ago, these are fast followed by slower finish. Mine were slower start, not exactly fast finish, but my second roast was faster than your two.

All week I have pulled espressos with the second roast. A day after roasting, it had decent, nice floral/fruity aroma, but was rather astringent with upfront sourness. Part of that was due to low group temps with the pull. But as the week progressed, I pulled some decent shots with decent juiciness than transformed into a vanilla like finish that lasted a long time. The first roast, I pulled a shot yesterday and it was still way too sour for espresso and tasted a tad bit vegetal. But both of these roasts tasted quite nice in an aeropress brews. I'm thinking of roasting two more roasts tomorrow with my Quest and haven't decided what I would change. While the coffee has really nice DP aroma, my roasts tended to be lacking any wow. I feel I need to push more of the acidity into sweetness. Perhaps a tiny bit more development with faster finish would do the trick.
LMWDP #671

danetrainer

#74: Post by danetrainer »

I mostly roast DP Ethiopians and I was pleased with the fragrance of the green beans when I opened the bag. I've followed my profile that I hope will work best, time will tell, this usually requires a longer rest period than normal for espresso.

Tonefish

#75: Post by Tonefish »

This bean is available at Sweet Maria's again! Score reduced to 92.

EDIT: but it is WET processed.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

johnny4lsu

#76: Post by johnny4lsu »

Tonefish wrote:This bean is available at Sweet Maria's again! Score reduced to 92.
that's completely false. You are linking a wet process coffee. The other was a natural.

BrentG

#77: Post by BrentG »

Correct. I thought the natural was pretty clean as is. The wet Gives others a chance to try if they missed out due to being out of stock.

I would be all over it. If I missed out.

Advertisement
EddyQ

#78: Post by EddyQ »

I roasted two batches this morning. Same size as my first two, but decided to stretch the drying even longer. I kept a steep ramp through malliard and into development with hopes to reduce the vanilla flavors I was getting with the first two roasts.
I dropped the first just at the end of FC and second after more development. The moisture loss was 12 and 14%. They both nailed where I wanted them to be. Fingers crosses . . . Too bad I have to now wait days!
LMWDP #671

Tonefish

#79: Post by Tonefish »

johnny4lsu wrote:that's completely false. You are linking a wet process coffee. The other was a natural.
Clearly the bean IS available, but the process is different as I should have also noted. Thanks for pointing that out. Edited above.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

johnny4lsu

#80: Post by johnny4lsu »

Your post made it seem like they went back to the cupping table and re-scored it, hence my comment about it being false.