Ethiopia Dry Process Yirga Cheffe Mengesha Farm Roasting Discussion

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by wingnutsglory »

This is the spot to discuss all things "Yirga Cheffe Mengesha Farm."

Source Link:
https://www.sweetmarias.com/ethiopia-dr ... -7368.html

Trjelenc

#2: Post by Trjelenc »

I have 15 lbs supposed to arrive Wednesday. Hoping to start roasting next weekend

Advertisement
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by Milligan »

Got a box coming too. Going to save it to roast on my new roaster that should come in next week hopefully (its been stuck in the UK for 10 days.) The last of my Misty is getting long in the tooth from last year's harvest so it will be nice having a fresh Ethiopian natural on hand.

Curious that they recommend a city to full city. I plan to do a normal light roast to start.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by LBIespresso »

wingnutsglory wrote:This is the spot to discuss all things "Yirga Cheffe Mengesha Farm."

Source Link:
https://www.sweetmarias.com/ethiopia-dr ... -7368.html
I have 10 pounds incoming. Hoping to get to it next weekend.
LMWDP #580

GDM528

#5: Post by GDM528 »

Roasting strategy question:

The cupping notes speak highly of floral and fruity notes, for which I thought lighter roasts were well suited to highlight... but SM's recommendation is City/Full City - follow, or ignore? Is there something SM isn't saying outright about the acidity? As someone who hates sour coffee, seeing the words "tart" and "grace" in the same sentence is kinda alarming. So perhaps this roast warrants a low drop temp but extended development time?

On the other hand, this coffee may be an opportunity to retain some fruity notes for dark-roast espresso drinkers, so looking forward to seeing the roast profiles.

Trjelenc

#6: Post by Trjelenc replying to GDM528 »

If you haven't looked at Sweet Maria's offerings before, they tend to list 90% of their beans as good for "City to Full City". They just mean the range they find it to be good, not so much the range they get all those same flavors. Their cupping notes section shows more detailed info of what they think about each roast level.

Legend_217

#7: Post by Legend_217 »

Roasting on Bullet. 300g. Espresso Vision said medium roast

Advertisement
wingnutsglory (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by wingnutsglory (original poster) »

I couldn't resist pulling a shot this morning after roasting last night, and fruit/blueberry is clearly present with this one. I also significantly altered my roast method and it all went very fast/hot. I still dropped fairly low but was worried about consistency and development. So far, that feels unnecessary. I'll have to post the profile soon, and I also want to roast using my normal (non-convection) method for apples/apples comparison.

Some general comments:
-small beans, closing in on peaberry
-dropped ~1:20 after FC at ~394 iirc
-huge amounts of loosely-adhered/un-shed chaff in the cooling tray
-no off-gassing from the mason jar when cracked this morning; not unusual given the lightness

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by Milligan »

wingnutsglory wrote:I couldn't resist pulling a shot this morning after roasting last night, and fruit/blueberry is clearly present with this one. I also significantly altered my roast method and it all went very fast/hot. I still dropped fairly low but was worried about consistency and development. So far, that feels unnecessary. I'll have to post the profile soon, and I also want to roast using my normal (non-convection) method for apples/apples comparison.

Some general comments:
-small beans, closing in on peaberry
-dropped ~1:20 after FC at ~394 iirc
-huge amounts of loosely-adhered/un-shed chaff in the cooling tray
-no off-gassing from the mason jar when cracked this morning; not unusual given the lightness
Thanks for your observations. It aligns with SM's notes:
You'll find small beans in this lot, the smallest being 14 screen (measured in 1/64 in.). Behmor users might want to give their roast batch a shake in the drum before roasting in order to shake free any of the smallest beans that might fall through the screen grid.
They need to be quite small to fall through a Behmor screen.

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by mborkow »

1/2 day after roast and already some blueberry undertones...I'm thinking about getting another 5lb bag

Edit: I thought about it...and ordered a 10lb bag.