Ethiopia Dry Process Yirga Cheffe Mengesha Farm Roasting Discussion - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#31: Post by LBIespresso »

Milligan wrote:Got them mixed up, I've been doing too many roasts lately. The first roast was a medium (19 roast vision.) I cut the gas more before FCs on the second one to smooth out FC and ended up with a 21-22 on Roastvision.

My plan for the next round is to extend high gas to 315 or so and then cut more aggressively into FC. IIRC I enjoyed the first roast more.
Your first roast looks pretty similar to mine. We both went 1:48 past FC but since I had a faster roast I went a bit darker. But who knows. I need to take out the old roastvision. Are you using TC's or RTD's? I have 3.2MM RTD's
LMWDP #580

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#32: Post by Milligan »

I'm using 3mm TCs. I cupped the medium and lighter version today side by side and I preferred the light one that way. It had a stronger blueberry note and a pastry/muffin aroma while it was steeping. Very pleasant. My preference for the medium before may have come down to V60 technique differences.

At Carefreebuzzbuzz's recommendation, I mixed the Ethiopian with the Hacea Max Perez 50/50 and it was delicious. Body of the Max with the flavor of the Ethiopian. Yum.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by mkane »

We bought 4lbs of this coffee. I'll take a stab at it tomorrow.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by mkane »

Smells like Blueberries. The top roast is a bit hot.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#35: Post by Milligan »

Wanted to pop back in and say, man this is a good coffee. So balanced. I had a B&W ENDASL coffee in pour over this morning and then made a pour over of this and it is better. Pretty impressive that the first batch roasted swings with B&W. Yum!

Glad I grabbed 20lbs before they sold out. I've been trying it with some blends too and its great there. It is flavorful enough to be the prominent note in anything I've blended it with so far.

Something funny too. My mom came over a few days ago and I made her a pour over with it. She is ditching her Keurig and ordered a Fellow Stag electric kettle and a V60. It was her eureka moment coffee. She hasn't had a cup of black coffee that she enjoyed so much in decades. She has been a creamer/sugar drinker for as long as I can remember. So that is nice :)

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#36: Post by LBIespresso »

Milligan wrote:Wanted to pop back in and say, man this is a good coffee. So balanced. ...
Glad I grabbed 20lbs before they sold out. I've been trying it with some blends too and its great there. It is flavorful enough to be the prominent note in anything I've blended it with so far.
I have to say, this is my first natural that I have roasted and I am enjoying the hell out of this coffee. I though I was aggressive when I ordered 10 pounds. I mean, it will last me a bit but I will be sad when it's gone. This is setting the bar high. Thanks to the HB community for constantly throwing out such good advice about what to order!
LMWDP #580

wingnutsglory (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#37: Post by wingnutsglory (original poster) »

I agree with the excitement here. It's really good.

For my second roast, I extended a bit and dropped about 5deg later at ~400. Still fast but I think I'll like it a little more. Loads of blueberry and strawberry initially. It reminds me of Panama Elida with blueberry.

Rickpatbrown

#38: Post by Rickpatbrown »

LBIespresso wrote:I though I was aggressive when I ordered 10 pounds. I mean, it will last me a bit but I will be sad when it's gone.
Ha. Get used to that feeling. But don't worry, there will be new gems to find. The hard part is know when to pull the trigger on 10-20lbs. I tend to limit everything to 5lbs so that I don't overbuy and always have a good selection.

Happy roasting ... And drinking!

Capuchin Monk

#39: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Milligan wrote:Got them mixed up, I've been doing too many roasts lately. The first roast was a medium (19 roast vision.) I cut the gas more before FCs on the second one to smooth out FC and ended up with a 21-22 on Roastvision.

My plan for the next round is to extend high gas to 315 or so and then cut more aggressively into FC. IIRC I enjoyed the first roast more.
Thank you.

Hi, everyone, Milligan was very generous to mail me some samples of his recent roasts, the second sample of the quote above to be specific. I brewed a cup of it today and boy was it a treat! :D When I opened the bag, I noticed the scent of blueberry, then when I ground the beans, I noticed more blueberry aroma. Then when I brewed and drank it (with a bit of cream), it was like eating drinking blueberry pancake. I've had Ethiopia Sidamo before and thought it had lots of blueberry tone but this one blew Sidamo away! I liked it so much that I ordered some green from Sweet Maria's.

Thank you again, Milligan. :!:

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#40: Post by Milligan replying to Capuchin Monk »

Glad you liked it! This one replaces the Misty Valley as the most blueberry forward that I've had. I haven't tried it as espresso yet, but plan to this weekend. I'm curious about the cream. Did you brew it in V60 or perhaps immersion?