Ethiopia Dry Process Yirga Cheffe Mengesha Farm Roasting Discussion - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Jasper_8137

#21: Post by Jasper_8137 »

After everyone's comments, I picked up 10 lbs. First roast I dropped ~ 1 minute following FC (I don't save my roast profile so cannot share). I have rested if for 2 days now - definitely blueberry forward for flavor profile. If making cappuccinos, it's like drinking blueberries and cream - I'm really enjoying it!

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by mgrayson »

Well, I'll keep trying. Zero blueberry. Not a bad coffee - light, pleasant - but blueberry? Nada. Slightly modified Crown Inlet SR1.4 +DG profile. Final exhaust temp 215C, 1:15 post FC. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(Yes, I have blueberry jam and it tastes very blueberry - I do not have post-Covid blueberry deficit 8) )

Advertisement
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#23: Post by Milligan »

LBIespresso wrote:Roasted yesterday afternoon. This was my first time roasting a natural and it shockingly went according to plan.

So I'll wait a week to try it :lol:

jkjk. drinking it right now as a PO. Very nice chocolate and more than a hint of blueberry. The blueberry is fresh not jammy. Syrupy mouthfeel with lots of sweetness and a hit of white florals on the finish. Looking forward to seeing how this is again in a few days but more excited to try it as espresso a few days after that.
Nice fast roast. What was your batch size? Looks similar to my gas settings when doing 1lb batch on the Cormorant.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#24: Post by LBIespresso replying to Milligan »

Indeed it was a 1 pound batch on my Cormorant! The diffuser is closed with air at 8 the whole roast. 4th roast of the day but my warmup routine is pretty solid.

3.2mm RTD's
LMWDP #580

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#25: Post by Milligan replying to LBIespresso »

Diffuser closed, very interesting. I haven't messed with that yet. Do you find you like it closed more than open? I believe closed means it is more of a convection roast than conduction through the drum?

wingnutsglory (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#26: Post by wingnutsglory (original poster) »

That's been a real game-changer for me. I"ve only just started experimenting but it seems to have dramatically changed the results, and I'm finding that the method may align much better with my fruit-forward preferences. Roast profile below. Damper is closed at DE and fan is 7 the entire time. I haven't played much with drum speed and tend to max it out every time.

As for the subject bean, I'm now on day 10. When I last pulled a shot on day 8, I was still getting blueberry but also had noticed a fair bit of strawberry. It's not the blueberry bomb from several years back but it's definitely more pronounced than anything else I've had in the past two years.

Super fast and fairly hot. These beans were also a chaff machine. I'll also say that the sorting leaves a lot to be desired.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#27: Post by LBIespresso »

Milligan wrote:Diffuser closed, very interesting. I haven't messed with that yet. Do you find you like it closed more than open? I believe closed means it is more of a convection roast than conduction through the drum?
I'm an idiot. I meant open. It was open. I have played around with it a bit. Closed does slow things down a little. I need to do some more AB testing but I liked the open roasts better for the few AB tests that I've done.
LMWDP #580

Advertisement
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#28: Post by Milligan »

I had a chance to do two roasts. I went with a light/medium roast at first. Unprompted my wife said the coffee smells like blueberries. Even my 4 year old commented on something smelling very tasty when I was grinding some of them. For kicks I also did a medium roast. I think I actually prefer the medium this time around. It tames the acidity a hair and brings out more of a jammy blueberry with a chocolate undertone. Very pleasant in a pour over.

I'll post my graphs later. I have plenty of room to dial in a better roast so I'm sure the coffee will taste even better as I get to know it more.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#29: Post by LBIespresso »

Milligan wrote:
I'll post my graphs later. I have plenty of room to dial in a better roast so I'm sure the coffee will taste even better as I get to know it more.
Please do! I have really been enjoying this coffee.
LMWDP #580

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#30: Post by Milligan »

Got them mixed up, I've been doing too many roasts lately. The first roast was a medium (19 roast vision.) I cut the gas more before FCs on the second one to smooth out FC and ended up with a 21-22 on Roastvision.

My plan for the next round is to extend high gas to 315 or so and then cut more aggressively into FC. IIRC I enjoyed the first roast more.