Ethiopia Dry Process Yirga Cheffe Mengesha Farm Roasting Discussion - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Trjelenc

#11: Post by Trjelenc »

My 15lbs arrives today and I plan on roasting some tonight. Based on the input here I may have my finger on the trigger to order more but need to confirm first hand. Ethiopians with blueberry notes are a fan favorite among the family members I roast for

Trjelenc

#12: Post by Trjelenc »

Roasted four 325g batches Wednesday night. Cupped all 4 last night and drinking a mug of one now. I'm starting to wonder if my palate has grown blind to the blueberry type flavors because I taste it but I'm also having a hard time pinpointing it as blueberry. I'm constantly comparing in my mind to an Ethiopian coffee I had from a shop a few years ago (fairly early in my coffee journey) where the smell was just indisputably blueberry, or the first time I had roasted Durato Bombe in 2020 and grinding and brewing created this blueberry muffin smell.

Roast 1:

Roast 2:

Roast 3:

Roast 4:

Roasted sample:

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by Milligan »

I tend to smell the blueberry aroma more in the grinds than taste it in the cup in general. Any blueberry I've had hasn't been a slap in the face, but more of a presence.

Which roast did you prefer? All look pretty good. Wondering if you noticed a difference between the +14C vs the +20C after FCs.

Trjelenc

#14: Post by Trjelenc replying to Milligan »

Hard to say I noticed a big difference between all 4. #4 was what I brewed this morning and it was definitely good

Rickpatbrown

#15: Post by Rickpatbrown »

Trjelenc wrote:Roasted four 325g batches Wednesday night. Cupped all 4 last night and drinking a mug of one now. I'm starting to wonder if my palate has grown blind to the blueberry type flavors because I taste it but I'm also having a hard time pinpointing it as blueberry. I'm constantly comparing in my mind to an Ethiopian coffee I had from a shop a few years ago (fairly early in my coffee journey) where the smell was just indisputably blueberry, or the first time I had roasted Durato Bombe in 2020 and grinding and brewing created this blueberry muffin smell.

Roast 1:

Roast 2:

Roast 3:

Roast 4:

Roasted sample:
I might suggest trying to get things movings faster in the begining. More heat to get your peak ROR up and then cut by A LOT at dry end. I'm usually dry by 4:30. I want to just coasting through developmment, trying not get final temp to high, while getting enough developement for no grassiness.. Try to keep development temp rise under 10 degrees or so. Your first roast looks better than the others.

This is a suggestion for light roast. Not sure if you e joy such light roast, but it's how I preserve fruity, floral origin notes. If the roast is too bright or grassy, try extending a little. If you get toasty notes, tipping or the like, you're using too much heat.

I just received these beans today. It will be a little before I can take a crack at them. They look well behaved based on your profile. No big crashes or anything.

Trjelenc

#16: Post by Trjelenc »

I probably should practice more with keeping dev RoR that low without stalling it out. What kind of development time and degrees would you look at getting? 10-15F and 1:15-1:45?

Rickpatbrown

#17: Post by Rickpatbrown replying to Trjelenc »

Generally, 1:30 is as short a development time as I go. Each green might be a little different and it depends how much momentum you have and how much of the bean is developed before first crack starts.

Hopefully, someone who has actually roasted these on a Huky might chime in. When I get around to roasting them, I will hit them with full heat (4.5kpa) as soon as I charge the roaster.

I hit first crack at 395°F on my Huky with stock probes. I will shoot for low 400°s for my final bean temp.

Trjelenc

#18: Post by Trjelenc »

By the way, I found a small stone in one of my batches so be on the lookout with these beans

addertooth

#19: Post by addertooth »

Trjelenc,

If you are wondering if your tongue is "out of calibration for Blueberry", let me know. I have a bean I just roasted which has a very clear blueberry taste. If you cannot detect it in this roast, then your taster has some problems.

Addertooth

p.s. The bean I have is not the topic of this discussion.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#20: Post by LBIespresso »

Roasted yesterday afternoon. This was my first time roasting a natural and it shockingly went according to plan.

So I'll wait a week to try it :lol:

jkjk. drinking it right now as a PO. Very nice chocolate and more than a hint of blueberry. The blueberry is fresh not jammy. Syrupy mouthfeel with lots of sweetness and a hit of white florals on the finish. Looking forward to seeing how this is again in a few days but more excited to try it as espresso a few days after that.
LMWDP #580