Durato Bombe Roasting thread

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Case17

#1: Post by Case17 »

This thread is for keeping sharing roasting experiences/details on the Ethiopian dry process Durato Bombe, which a number of us discussed. Available from several sources (HM, RoyalNY, Captain's Coffee).

To start this out, here is the first roast I have tasted, roast was a little long, possibly with some stalling/baking around 1C. I work on improving this in later roasts:

I first tasted it after 2.5 days aging. Dry grounds smell sweet, hints of fruit.
Brewing in Hario V60 with 13.8/1 water:coffee ratio (I usually brew pretty strong). Coffee is pleasant, decent body, good sweetness, nice tartness at first which fades with cooling. However, there are only hints of fruitiness... too faint to say with certainty if it's blueberry. Tried again at the 3.5 day mark with no major changes. My guess is that the roast was too slow and the fruitiness was baked off.

My impression so far is that there is enough to keep me interested (and I'm glad since I bought 20 lbs). But it's not a blueberry bomb yet. I'll assume this is me working our the roasting kinks at this point.

bicktrav

#2: Post by bicktrav »

I'm roasting Happy Mug's version (also have some of Captain's Coffee's version). So far, my experience has been similar. It's a good coffee with lots of sweetness, but I'm not getting any defined blueberry notes. Perhaps in a few days, but so far it's more like vague fruits and bold sugars. Here's my roast...

bradm

#3: Post by bradm »

Thanks for starting this thread.

I have the second batch from Captain's. Here's my first try, which was partially botched because I didn't properly tare the scale and loaded a batch that was 40g lighter than my usual 325g. The lighter curves in the background are your roast.

This was a non-traditional low-and-slow profile that worked very well for a 325g batch of the Shantawene. Unfortunately the cup was really average, much like you described. Perhaps the most vague hint of pineapple if you use your imagination, but otherwise tastes like.... regular old coffee.

With six more tries to get a winner, I'll be eager to hear how your next batch comes out. Maybe we need a more traditional Rao-approved profile?

Case17

#4: Post by Case17 »

Case17 wrote:This thread is for keeping sharing roasting experiences/details on the Ethiopian dry process Durato Bombe, which a number of us discussed. Available from several sources (HM, RoyalNY, Captain's Coffee).

To start this out, here is the first roast I have tasted, roast was a little long, possibly with some stalling/baking around 1C. I work on improving this in later roasts:

I first tasted it after 2.5 days aging. Dry grounds smell sweet, hints of fruit.
Brewing in Hario V60 with 13.8/1 water:coffee ratio (I usually brew pretty strong). Coffee is pleasant, decent body, good sweetness, nice tartness at first which fades with cooling. However, there are only hints of fruitiness... too faint to say with certainty if it's blueberry. Tried again at the 3.5 day mark with no major changes. My guess is that the roast was too slow and the fruitiness was baked off.

My impression so far is that there is enough to keep me interested (and I'm glad since I bought 20 lbs). But it's not a blueberry bomb yet. I'll assume this is me working our the roasting kinks at this point.
Here is another roast that I just tried today (aged 5 days at this point):

I brewed this with v60 same as previous roast (~13.8 water/coffee; grind setting of 20 on a Hario). The dry grounds aroma has improved versus the previous roast; this time a definite fruitiness, perhaps blueberry. However, in the brewed coffee, the fruit is still more of an subtle note than a blueberry bomb. I will brew this a few times during the week and see if it improves.

**Edit: Brewed this again the next day, unfortunately it is worse. Might be brew technique as I brewed at half the scale. No fruitiness in the brewed coffee whatsoever. Just lightly roasted coffee, mediocre.**

I think the profile looks reasonably good in terms of RoR. Compared to the earlier roast it is a little faster, better RoR trace & less baking, but it was also roasted to slightly higher bean surface temperature (203C versus 201C).

In future roasts I will try to cut down the total roast time a bit more (probably charge slightly higher T). I will also try going to higher and lower final temps; currently I'm definitely at the lighted end (I have a lot of trouble hearing first crack on the Bullet so can't tell you how far into it I was).

Case17

#5: Post by Case17 »

bradm wrote:Thanks for starting this thread.

I have the second batch from Captain's. Here's my first try, which was partially botched because I didn't properly tare the scale and loaded a batch that was 40g lighter than my usual 325g. The lighter curves in the background are your roast.

This was a non-traditional low-and-slow profile that worked very well for a 325g batch of the Shantawene. Unfortunately the cup was really average, much like you described. Perhaps the most vague hint of pineapple if you use your imagination, but otherwise tastes like.... regular old coffee.

With six more tries to get a winner, I'll be eager to hear how your next batch comes out. Maybe we need a more traditional Rao-approved profile?
Interesting that that worked on the Shantawene. At first glance I would be nervous that that long of a roast would lead to baking and burn off all of the fruitiness. But, I'm really just building up my experience/data on DP roasting at this point, so my opinions are not strong.

My first profile with the Durato Bombe was botched as well, and looks just like yours actually. It is sitting in the freezer, and I will take it out once I brew up these current batches. Will be interesting to see if we have similar results.

bicktrav

#6: Post by bicktrav »

Case17 wrote:Here is another roast that I just tried today (aged 5 days at this point):

I brewed this with v60 same as previous roast (~13.8 water/coffee; grind setting of 20 on a Hario). The dry grounds aroma has improved versus the previous roast; this time a definite fruitiness, perhaps blueberry. However, in the brewed coffee, the fruit is still more of an subtle note than a blueberry bomb. I will brew this a few times during the week and see if it improves.

**Edit: Brewed this again the next day, unfortunately it is worse. Might be brew technique as I brewed at half the scale. No fruitiness in the brewed coffee whatsoever. Just lightly roasted coffee, mediocre.**

I think the profile looks reasonably good in terms of RoR. Compared to the earlier roast it is a little faster, better RoR trace & less baking, but it was also roasted to slightly higher bean surface temperature (203C versus 201C).

In future roasts I will try to cut down the total roast time a bit more (probably charge slightly higher T). I will also try going to higher and lower final temps; currently I'm definitely at the lighted end (I have a lot of trouble hearing first crack on the Bullet so can't tell you how far into it I was).
I've found exactly the same thing: the Shantawene benefits from a slightly longer roast. With short roasts, it has a slightly funky fruit note to it, a touch too much acidity, but on the longer side, those elements mellow, and the sweetness shines. As for the Bombe, again agree: it's just not presenting as all that special right now. Loads of sweetness and a somewhat nice cocoa/cinnamon finish, but I don't get any defined fruit notes. Maybe an ultra short roast would bring out the fruit and acidity.

cmapes
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by cmapes »

So I let my two roasted lots of Sidamo Durato Bombe age a few days and I'm noticing that they've diverged from each other.

I have 4 independent purchases of Sidamo Durato Bombe:

- Early Captains order [end of July/early Aug] (lot 0)
- Very early Happy Mug order [within minutes of it being listed] (lot 0)
- Later Captains Order [end of August] (lot 1)
- Later Happy Mug order [a day or two before they sold out] (lot 1)

I combined these orders together in two separate bags because I didn't realize they were different from one another due to Royal NY's 4 lots of Sidamo Durato Bombe having the same exact tasting notes.

The two lots are very similar to each other, but with one key difference, the "later" lots are missing a small "floral" component in the middle of the flavor profile and have slightly muted sweetness and acidity. This lends that later lot to have the scent of blueberry like the first, but it misses the convincing blueberry taste that is "sold" by the combination of plum flavor + floral + berry sharpness + sweetness. Instead, on that lot I'm getting more of a "plum" flavor upfront and a "missing" middle note which fades into chocolate / brown sugar. I'm pulling these shots slayer style by the way. This difference is also noticed in the smell of the unroasted and roasted beans. The unroasted beans of lot 0 have a more pronounced "berry" scent than lot 1. It's the "same" smell, but slightly more potent. They also behave a little bit differently during roast.

This is interesting because it matches with the NY Fractional store's cupping notes for their 5th lot they sold of the Sidamo Durato Bombe. That described it as "plum, brown sugar, chocolate". That lot was only sold on the Fractional bag store in 5lb/10lb/20lb etc. Yet for their main website they described all the lots as "Blueberry, Pineapple, Plum". I had a discussion with another buyer who frequents Royal NY. As I mentioned this situation, he said that Royal NY effectvely bait and switch lots all the time to the degree where he argues is fraud. He requires cupping samples from them when buying subsequent bags that do not have the same # assigned from Royal because he's been burned with lesser lots that they represented as the same. I don't have enough experience to say either way, but I can see his perspective and I'll have to be much more careful with what I buy if it passes through Royal NY. This has shot my trust in them.

So it looks like I'm going to have to figure out how to tweak around the roast to maximize the acidity and sweetness. These beans are certainly the "same" but something happened differently in production or transport. They're subtly different but its enough to break the perception of "blueberry" into more of a "plum". I have 2.5 lbs of lot 0 and almost 15 lbs of lot 1 so this is unfortunate. The elusive blueberry bomb remains elusive I guess. If I cannot get it to work right then I can fall back on using it for cold brew. The bean is "good" but I wouldn't describe it as "complex". It is more of a one-trick pony and if you change the blueberry bomb into a plum / brown sugar / chocolate bomb it loses a bit of its luster.

Since I have a good amount of this bean I'll put some work into trying to maximize blueberry in the later lot.

bicktrav

#8: Post by bicktrav » replying to cmapes »

Plum is a great call. I definitely get that, mixed with cocoa powder. On my most recent batch, I catch some sort of spice at the end, which I'll call cinnamon. It's a good coffee, but it lacks nuance, and it's not the blueberry muffin many of us were hoping it would be. I've also got a good amount of it, some from the first batch of Captain's, some from Happy Mug's Harrar Batch. I'll report back if I figure out a way to improve it.

GC7
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by GC7 »

Chris - I don't see any lot # on my Happy Mug bag of the Durato Bombe. It was ordered on 8-12. Do you know what lot that might be?

A good plum is equal to a sweet blueberry IMO. :-)

I am having similar "problems" with this bean as described by everyone else. My first roast was too dark as I followed their advice and let it go almost 30 seconds past the end of first crack. The second was a light roast about 3/4 of the way into 1C and still popping away. This was much better but I'm finding it a tough bean to dial in with the espresso machine. It's big and intense and does not stay sweet and smooth using my normal brewing parameters. I discovered at the end of the bag that a coarser grind and faster flow after a long preinfusion worked best along with a brew ratio above 2 (~2.3 or so). This was a sweet, spicy and complex espresso with fruit but not blueberry (dark plum is a good call). I enjoyed it but ran out as I found the sweet spot for that roast.

I'm on to Panama Elida, Finca Kilimanjaro and Ethiopia Anasora (wonderful bean) for a bit.

Looking forward to your "solutions" for my next roast.

cmapes
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by cmapes »

It's a pity because my first bag of batch 0 was, in fact, a HUGE blueberry bomb. I pulled shots from it for numerous people and everyone agreed it tasted like "straight-up blueberry". I can't seem to replicate it at this point. Not sure if it's the lots being mixed, beans aging just slightly enough to edge away from blueberry, roasting, or other factors. But I still am happy with the bean.

This batch was roasted to about 40s into first crack, dumped while still cracking, approximately ~400f with 13% moisture loss. This may not translate because it was roasted on an air roaster.

The trick for me has been to pull heavier 1:2 "slayer-style" shots with it. Today I used 18.5g in an 18g VST basket ground to 0.3 levels finer than normal. On my mythos, this is enough to either produce a 40-50s to 34g shot while taking maybe 10s to produce drips from the portafilter. So pretty fine. To pull my "slayer-style" shot I made sure to:

- Overfill the basket (18.5g very fine grind in 18g VST basket)
- Tamp with much less force than normal. (important to prevent bitter, over-extracted tasting shots)
- Pre-infuse for about 10s with 3-4 bar, until at about 2g in the cup [boiler set to 200F]
- Slowly ramp to 5, 6, then 7 bar.
- Run at 7 bar until about 24g in the cup.
- Allow pressure to decrease until 34g

This shot had a deeper berry flavor with a rich chocolate spice body and a smooth rich finish. The shot had pleasant tiger striping in the crema without looking too dark / over-extracted. I'm satisfied with this, even if it's not my "blueberry bomb". Beans at days 6-8 smell like blueberry muffins to me.

The difference for me between this style shot and my other more traditional shots is that I'm able to preserve some of the acidity, concentrate the darker berry flavors, concentrate the chocolate flavors, and avoid bitterness. With a more standard technique I was getting either a brighter berry flavor with a more watery body or a muted plum with too much chocolate. This is getting me a much more rounded shot with most of the positives of both.