DIY Metal Cyclone Chaff Collector - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Capuchin Monk (original poster)

#21: Post by Capuchin Monk (original poster) »

DanoM wrote:Looks good. Reminds me of a Super Jolly grinder in stainless.
Thanks. Yeah, I can see some resemblance.
I've really enjoyed my cyclone chaff collector. Even with small roasters they really work well; especially with variable air flow controls.
I noticed that yours is brushless motor. Must be nice and quiet. Mine is brushed motor and while it's good enough for my setup, the impeller fan itself turns out to be a cheaply made one and somewhat out of balance which causes wobbling noise when spinning more than half capacity. I just ordered a higher grade fan and it should arrive soon. I'll find out how it works.

DanoM

#22: Post by DanoM »

Capuchin Monk wrote:I noticed that yours is brushless motor. Must be nice and quiet. Mine is brushed motor and while it's good enough for my setup, the impeller fan itself turns out to be a cheaply made one and somewhat out of balance which causes wobbling noise when spinning more than half capacity. I just ordered a higher grade fan and it should arrive soon. I'll find out how it works.
Yeah, my fan is relatively quiet, although my cyclone is smaller than yours; that adds a little wind noise, but still quieter than the roaster. The fan's not great quality but it's relatively okay in balance.

Yours has an easy to empty chaff jar; that should be nice. Mine is in a huge bucket and with as little as I roast (under 2kg per month) dumping that annually should be fine. No chaff has ever come out the end of my exhaust tube since adding the cyclone. (I use a panty hose stocking on the end to keep track.)
LMWDP #445

#23: Post by Capuchin Monk (original poster) »

New fan blade has landed and it's a definite improvement!

It pulls about 50% more air than the stock fan (on the right) and it spins truer thus quieter. :D

mpdeem
Team HB

#24: Post by mpdeem »

Beautiful job!

I have contemplated adding a fan driven collector but am concerned about its influence on exhaust temperature readings. I am going to add temp probes first..then tackle the chaff collector. Would love to hear your expierences, especially with the new fan blades installed.

#25: Post by Capuchin Monk (original poster) »

Thank you. When the vent fan is at low speed, the ET shows little low, then when the fan speed is up over half capacity, ET goes up little and remains consistent. I would guess the latter is correct ET. My ET probe is located just below the exhaust port on the roaster.

mpdeem
Team HB

#26: Post by mpdeem »

Capuchin Monk wrote:My ET probe is located just below the exhaust port on the roaster.
Thanks for the photo and for highlighting the probe so clearly. This gives me some ideas on how best to approach probe placement. Your entire set up is very impressive and professional looking. My efforts will probably fall woefully short - especially as far as aesthetics ;)

#27: Post by Capuchin Monk (original poster) »

mpdeem wrote:This gives me some ideas on how best to approach probe placement.
Which roaster is it?

mpdeem
Team HB

#28: Post by mpdeem replying to Capuchin Monk »

A modified West Bend Popper I. I removed the plastic top (to better observe the beans) so currently the chaff blows everwhere.

#29: Post by Capuchin Monk (original poster) replying to mpdeem »

In that case, you can probably try something that I used to do. Kaldi Wide
At the exhaust end, you can try something like this for fan. https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-Cool ... 122&sr=8-3

renatoa

#30: Post by renatoa »

Just an idea that was noted in my todo plans list long time ago, and never implemented... you can use a drinks shaker for such job, probably 75% of the layout and work is already there, done by the factory.