DIY Color Meter - Page 9

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Milligan

#81: Post by Milligan »

Not a lot of money in printing $10 pieces that take a hour or more to do. There was a small surge in folks doing it on the side and now I don't see it as often. Cricut shirts and mugs were all the rage a few years ago too and now... crickets...

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#82: Post by Marcelnl »

FWIW; found someone local who will print it for 10 euro :D
LMWDP #483

jpender (original poster)

#83: Post by jpender (original poster) »

Milligan wrote:Not a lot of money in printing $10 pieces that take a hour or more to do.
I was thinking the same thing. The PCB fab where I order tiny quantities of small boards puts a whole bunch of orders together for a given run. But a 3D printer is generally a one-at-a-time device.

That said...
Brewzologist wrote:Check out Treatstock...
Several came up in the $12-13 range and one even less than that. I'm sure I could make a little box with two holes in it but it's not worth my time if I can buy one for $15 or less.

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#84: Post by Marcelnl »

WOW, the bandwidth on price :shock:

I came across the same platform for 'local' 3D printers and dismissed it, but apparently it works...good to know

(probably getting too old for this 'modernistic stuff' :mrgreen:
LMWDP #483

drgary
Team HB

#85: Post by drgary »

I just found out that my local public library has 3D printers available for public use with staff assistance. The user may need to pay for materials.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#86: Post by jpender (original poster) »

My library has them as well but apparently not for casual use. A library in a nearby city has one I could book a time for online. But it wasn't 100% clear to me whether I had to live in the city or not. And I guess I'd have to know what I'm doing to use it. I don't know anything about 3D printers.

Easy enough to buy one for $15+tax. I spent $17 on a burrito yesterday.

#87: Post by jpender (original poster) »

I added up the items on the list in github. Assuming you pay $15 for the 3D parts the total cost is $120, not including screws, glue, tools. Not bad.

I ordered the sensor board from Mouser (a few bucks cheaper than direct from Sparkfun). And I'm getting ready to buy the box for $15. I already have 1" displays, mini voltage regulators, and Atmega328 processor boards. The Artemis processor is handy because you just plug everything together but its processing muscle is not needed, not even close. I don't mind a little soldering.

Using existing stuff I have laying around this will end up costing me about $50. That's a price I'm willing to pay for a toy I will likely grow tired of after a little while.

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#88: Post by Marcelnl »

So the parts arrived, IDE downloaded...but now for the program to discover the artemis thingy...and some missing steps in the description for putting the 3 components together. 2 50mm qwic cables and a 100mm qwic cable as described yet the description leaves me with one 100mm qwic cable not used. (there is only 1 remaining free qwic connector on the OLED board anyway).

First I will try aking sense of geting IDE to talk with the artemis board...newbie and all that :oops:
It's almost as if there is no commnication between IDE and the artemis, although a red LED is on and a blue LED is blinking.

I managed to select the artemis board, compile the sketch but somehow the port remains grayed out in IDE
LMWDP #483

Jake_G
Team HB

#89: Post by Jake_G »

Marcelnl wrote:So the parts arrived, IDE downloaded...but now for the program to discover the artemis thingy...and some missing steps in the description for putting the 3 components together. 2 50mm qwic cables and a 100mm qwic cable as described yet the description leaves me with one 100mm qwic cable not used. (there is only 1 remaining free qwic connector on the OLED board anyway).

First I will try aking sense of geting IDE to talk with the artemis board...newbie and all that :oops:
You will need to add the Artemis board through the IDE board manager before it recognizes it.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ar ... 1673857417

It does seem like only 2 qwiic cables are needed...
LMWDP #704

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#90: Post by Marcelnl »

I managed to add the artemis board, but 'port' seems to be not functioning, it's grayed out in IDE
W11, I bet it is
LMWDP #483