DIY Color Meter - Page 8

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#71: Post by Milligan »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:If people are going to consider keeping it plugged in get a switch for your USB. This one was tested by Zach at RV and worked but it's not available now.

I run my RV using a very old USB battery that I just turn on as needed.

While precision in testing may be desired by some, I have found the RV to be a useful directional tool. Don't need each reading to be perfect so I use the "smoosh" method, whereby I load the RV with a heaping amount of coffee from the grinder, and smoosh it down a bit. Good enough for this purpose for my home use.
Exactly what I do. I use the same setting on my niche (fine espresso) and give it a smoosh. The battery option is neat but not sure I want to hassle with a battery. I already have a USB cable setup where I do my testing.

jpender (original poster)

#72: Post by jpender (original poster) »

DenisSabou wrote:...there are plenty of people who offer their services at a cheap price. I managed to print mine for 10$...
If I could get the pieces shipped to me for $10 it would be a no-brainer. But so far I haven't been too successful at finding anything close to being that inexpensive. I found a place a place that would make the two pieces for $31. Or just the lid for $19.

Perhaps I am internet challenged. Could someone point me to the $10 3D printing store?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#73: Post by baldheadracing »

jpender wrote:Perhaps I am internet challenged. Could someone point me to the $10 3D printing store?
I searched for Brick&Mortar stores near me that sell 3d printers and/or 3d printing supplies. Such places often do 3d Prints for pickup.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Marcelnl

#74: Post by Marcelnl replying to baldheadracing »

I too appear to be living in a 3D wasteland....a few years ago there were plent, now not any longer or I became internet challenged too
LMWDP #483

DenisSabou

#75: Post by DenisSabou »

Search on your local second hand online shop for 3d printing service, or 3d print parts. that is how I found someone to print them for me. If I went to a business it would have been way more expensive.

As for chargers/how to turn it on/current I use a simple phone charger with a 1.5m wire, I plug the charger into a plug and do my measurements. Or I can simply use a power bank, there are some really tiny slim ones already with an on-off switch if you want.

#76: Post by jpender (original poster) »

DenisSabou wrote:Search on your local second hand online shop for 3d printing service, or 3d print parts.
I've looked and the search results seem promising at first but are dead ends when I check out the websites. Probably it's out there somewhere...

baldheadracing
Team HB

#77: Post by baldheadracing »

Also, search "3d printing" on Craigslist/Kijiji/Facebook marketplace etc.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

#78: Post by jpender (original poster) »

Nothing on craigslist that I could see. I don't have access to FB. I ran into this last year when I was thinking of having something printed. I couldn't work out how to do it affordably. I wonder why it's so hard? I get PCBs printed and there are places geared to help hobbyists who just want one or three of something.

Marcelnl

#79: Post by Marcelnl replying to jpender »

I'm having the same issue, from what I see the bulk of folks that bought a 3D printer, 10 years or so ago to then find they hardly used it and started offering their services have grown tired of doing so. I may have found someone though, there used to be many now I find like 3 places with lots of searching.
LMWDP #483

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#80: Post by Brewzologist »

Check out Treatstock for USA and JLPCB more for overseas. Both showed print costs around $15 plus shipping when I uploaded the files for a quote. Doesn't have to be printed on PLA and sometimes you'll find ABS and resin may be less expensive. I have used both vendors in the past with good results. YMMV.