DIY Color Meter - Page 67

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Marcelnl

#661: Post by Marcelnl »

I'd use the info on sample taking process to weigh the importance of the color reported, otherwise you probably need a ton more users before the reported color measurements become meaningful. I just do not expect there will be that many users using it, let alone those that report data.

I hear you on medical data capture, it's ridiculous....
LMWDP #483

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#662: Post by Brewzologist »

Agree with you on the challenges of making this meaningful. I've even wondered if we should limit who can enter data via some sort of registration process. It will be interesting to see how much data we get, and what the quality looks like too. But at least it's a start.

Advertisement
Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#663: Post by Brewzologist »

Head's up... the Google Form to collect roast/purchase color data for the DIY meter is now up on the Wiki HERE. If we get enough data this could help us crowdsource a scale with color descriptors for the Roast Meter

yakster
Supporter ♡

#664: Post by yakster »

Nice, I just got my SparkFun parts today and got it up and running, now I just need some more screws to put it in the case.

I'm surprised that the Google Sheet doesn't include weight loss since that seems pretty correlated to degree of roast. I'll need to figure out all the other measurements from Aillio RoastTime, I don't normally look at them.

Also surprised it doesn't track drop temp, the temperature at which you dumped the beans and started cooling them down.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#665: Post by Brewzologist »

yakster wrote: I'm surprised that the Google Sheet doesn't include weight loss since that seems pretty correlated to degree of roast. I'll need to figure out all the other measurements from Aillio RoastTime, I don't normally look at them.

Also surprised it doesn't track drop temp, the temperature at which you dumped the beans and started cooling them down.
The form attempts to track roast info that is the same regardless of roaster type. The intent is to capture info most likely to influence roast color.

Also, it tracks the rise in temp from start of first crack until drop, which is a proxy for drop temp. Specific temp readings often vary with different probes and roasters, but the delta between first crack and drop should be more consistent for comparing between roasters.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#666: Post by yakster »

I managed to bend one of the pins of the QWIIC connector on the Artemis Plus board when installing the cable so be careful with those connections.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jpender (original poster)

#667: Post by jpender (original poster) »

Be careful!

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#668: Post by yakster »

I got another Artemis Plus board from Amazon and finished the build today. Now I need to calibrate it. Looks like the connector could be replaced by someone with the right tools.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Marcelnl

#669: Post by Marcelnl replying to yakster »

just hardwire it, small soldering iron should do the trick.
LMWDP #483

Transparent Roaster

#670: Post by Transparent Roaster »

Does anyone know if the Artemis board will charge a battery without any problem?
This Sparkfun description says the lipo battery needs a special charger...
the battery link:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13851
the charger link:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/15217