Delicate brown sugar/toffee note. How to amplify? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Miltonedgebert (original poster)

#11: Post by Miltonedgebert (original poster) »

Ran the experiment today. I did four 4oz batches.
For the first two the oven was set to 355F, the second two were 375. The first was in the oven for 5min, but it didn't look quite dry, so all the others were 10min.
From the Dutch oven the beans were transferred into a preheated stovetop popper.
All were dropped as rolling first crack ended.
Batch 1: 2min to start first crack, 2min to drop. 4min total on stove
Batch 2: 2min to start first crack, 1min to drop. 3min total on stove.
Batch 3: beans at edge of Dutch oven were different color than beans in center.
1min to start first crack, 2min to drop. 3min total
Batch 4: Dutch oven was shaken every two minutes. Bean color was even.
2min to start first crack, 1min to drop. 3min total

I may do a cupping in the morning.

GDM528

#12: Post by GDM528 »

How are the greens processed: natural, washed? Curious if the color variation in the roast color matches the color variation in the greens. I used to aspire to a uniform roast color, but then it occurred to me that the color variation could be better for blending the flavors of different roast levels. You've also vanquished my preconceptions about scorching with a pan roaster - you clearly got some skillz.

Your beans must have cooled a bit before transferring to the stovetop, given that it took (typically) two minutes to first crack. I get to first crack in about 30 seconds with my air roaster, with a total time in the high-heat phase of 2.5 minutes.

This is what the roast looks like green / just before jumping to high heat (approximate image taken from Sweetmaria's) / end of roast / three days later:

Tastes lighter than it looks. I too have been questing to boost the sugary notes to balance against my preference for darker roasts.

#13: Post by Miltonedgebert (original poster) »

I'm using a washed green. There's not tons of color variation, but there is a good bit of size variation.
The color reference you show for when you go to high heat is more development than I got even at 375. So that's probably part of my longer time to first crack. I think the other part is that I may not be able to push as much heat as fast as an air roaster. Something I'll try next time is putting the Dutch oven on the stovetop and stirring with a spoon. It would be a bigger pain, but would mean less heat loss.

#14: Post by Miltonedgebert (original poster) »

Cupping notes.
Batch 1: grounds had distinct grassy smell, but not in the taste. Instead there was a leathery note that I've never had in coffee. It's also the least acidic. This confuses me.
Batch 2: this is the most acidic.
Batch 3: this is my favorite. It's balanced, but nothing remarkable.
Batch 4: this is just kinda flat. I'll call it baked.

None of the samples showed the brown sugar note in cupping.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#15: Post by Milligan »

GDM528 wrote:How are the greens processed: natural, washed? Curious if the color variation in the roast color matches the color variation in the greens. I used to aspire to a uniform roast color, but then it occurred to me that the color variation could be better for blending the flavors of different roast levels. You've also vanquished my preconceptions about scorching with a pan roaster - you clearly got some skillz.

Your beans must have cooled a bit before transferring to the stovetop, given that it took (typically) two minutes to first crack. I get to first crack in about 30 seconds with my air roaster, with a total time in the high-heat phase of 2.5 minutes.

This is what the roast looks like green / just before jumping to high heat (approximate image taken from Sweetmaria's) / end of roast / three days later:

Tastes lighter than it looks. I too have been questing to boost the sugary notes to balance against my preference for darker roasts.
My concern with the oven method is that it is effectively creating a large RoR crash during transfer right before 1C then when the heat is reapplied the RoR spikes back up. Uncharted territory there. I can see the stove top method working more in-line with accepted BT profiling because the beans never leave the heating environment but it sounds like it stalls the roast then hits it with heat to push into 1C. Almost like an older-style S-curve espresso profile that lengthens Maillard before a gradual bump into 1C.

Milton, are you data logging with any type of temperature probe or going off of time and sensory information like first crack, smells, and color changes?

GDM528

#16: Post by GDM528 »

Sorry it didn't turn out better. Makes me appreciate the tiny batch size of my roaster (2 ounces) that limits the tragic losses in the name of science.

The low acidity of Batch 1 makes sense, given the 4 minutes it spent at high heat - that's long, even for a drum roaster. When I was experimenting with lower browning temperature/times, I also experienced grassy, organic notes that I'd rather not know about. It wasn't until I went above 175C before that went away.

Batch 2 is interesting, as it implies it takes time to cook out the grassy notes - that's inspired me to try longer browning times in my roasts. Also interesting that the acidity drops when raising the browning temp 20F.

Batch 4 took longer to reach first crack then to it did to finish, which seems counterintuitive. Perhaps because the heat level of the beans were more uniform. In my air roaster, first crack start to finish takes about 1:30

Batch 3 seems closest to 'the zone', but sadly no brown sugar notes. You mentioned they don't come out of the Dutch oven as dark as the image I posted - that may be a clue. I've been shooting for a dark caramel color just before hitting the high-heat levels. Furthermore, I worry the high heat is incinerating the caramelized sugars, so I haven't dared spend more than 2:30 there. But, (and this may be significant) I don't pause between browning and development as you do when transferring from Dutch oven to skillet. The specific heat capacity of a roasted coffee bean is pretty low, so even a few seconds at a lower temperature will significantly cool the beans.

Appreciate your experimentation! Even though we're using significantly different methods, you've given me some more ideas to try out.

#17: Post by Miltonedgebert (original poster) »

Milligan: I don't have a thermometer or data logging. Part of my interest in this method is it could be a very easy way to get a consistent roast with my equipment.

GDM528: I don't think any of these roasts are bad enough to be a tragic loss, and even if they are I still have ~50lb of this green to work with.
I think the only reason batch 3 was balanced is because half got baked and half was underdeveloped.
After thinking over the cupping I may be most excited about batch 1. The leather note is very similar to a whiskey I have and I'm really curious about how it will show up in different brewing methods.

#18: Post by Miltonedgebert (original poster) »

After tasting the samples over the past week or two I'm just confused. First impression of all of them is that they were baked and flat, but they seem to have improved dramatically since then.
After the initial cupping I had a plan for the next experiment, but now I don't know. I had decided to stop pursuing the Dutch oven idea, then the coffee turned a corner. I may do another cupping tomorrow and see if that helps mark a decision. Coffee is weird.

GDM528

#19: Post by GDM528 »

I've observed that my 'stepped' roasts (similar to your experiments) can visually change pretty dramatically over the course of 1-2 weeks. Some roasts will go from medium-dark and dry, to dark and oily - a full roast level change. I'll pay more attention to the flavor changes, but it's hard to remember over the course of more than a week.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#20: Post by Milligan »

I let my coffee rest a week or so before brewing it for enjoyment for both espresso and drip. I don't say this as gospel, it works for me and my workflow. Espresso typically always needs at least a week to off gas but drip may be good after a few days. When I do a cupping of roasts that only set overnight I can nearly always expect some level of "harshness" that goes away after a few days. The hard part about roasting coffee is how long it takes to iterate: roast, then wait for it to off gas, then taste, and then make an adjustment. You can't rest on your laurels either. Greens go bad, the next harvest is different, and so goes the pursuit of exceptional coffee.