Cyclone for Kaldi Fortis Came In

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
littlenut

#1: Post by littlenut »

Being up front, this post is just an ol' guy acting like a 5 YO at Christmas. IOW probably a post more for me than others. :D

For the last few months after seeing a cyclone separator on the Kaldi Website I have been trying to figure out how to add it to my Fortis set-up. A couple of weeks ago I struck up a conversation w/ Hong at the website about doing just that. (TBH it was me saying in general what I wanted and asking for help and Hong et al actually working out the details....) Well they shipped it early Sunday Morning my time and it arrived today (~52 hours later). Unpacking pictures below.

My Plan is to install/attach everything over the next few days. Then barring any problems roast a couple of batches. I'll add posts along the way.

Everything is very well made. The Seinn Technology contact has been fantastic. Very responsive, helpful, communicative, and customer focused.

★ Helpful

Vince_in_Montreal

#2: Post by Vince_in_Montreal »

I know the feeling. Very nice and congrats. Don't forget to show it off once it's set up. ;)

littlenut (original poster)

#3: Post by littlenut (original poster) »

ATM I'm in the process of tearing most of the Kaldi Fortis apart and reassembling (hopeful it will be correct) today. If anyone wants/needs a picture of an internal, lemme know. -LN

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#4: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I am curious what this cost and if Huky owners could adapt it?
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

#5: Post by littlenut (original poster) replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

The cyclone conversion, Michael?

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#6: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to littlenut »

Yes sorry if I wasn't clear. Cyclone needs is a common item for both the Kaldi and Huky.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

#7: Post by littlenut (original poster) »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:I am curious what this cost and if Huky owners could adapt it?
Yes, but.....

What I purchased and was supplied is specific to a Kaldi Fortis. Some of the parts may be from other Kaldi roasters that use a cyclone.

Kaldi sells a just a cyclone separator for 420USD plus shipping. https://eng.homecaffe.net/category/products/223/

The Huky user would need to sort out connecting from the Huky to the cyclone's inlet pipe and from the cyclone blower/fan to a discharge point.

Kaldi supplied new/replacement electronics/piping/fittings for me to connect it and integrate w/ my Fortis. I now have a flanged vent from my Fortis, my cyclone has a flanged inlet, I have a spool piece to connect the two, and the on-off and fan/blower speed control is integrated w/ my existing Fortis electrical enclosure.

Sorry for the clear as mud reply Michael, HTH. -LN :-)

P.S. My plan is to run the cyclone for chaff collection and use my old chaff collector/bean cooler just as a dump cooler. I'm hoping for less activity on my part preceding dump and less downtime between batches. We'll see, but even if it is not a big benefit, it adds to my toy count whenever I hit heaven.... :-)

#8: Post by littlenut (original poster) »

Vince_in_Montreal wrote:I know the feeling. Very nice and congrats. Don't forget to show it off once it's set up. ;)
Finished the upgrade and did a functionality test just heating everything up to ~130-140°C. Worked fine. Below is a shot of the set-up. Now to get back to agreeing on a layout for a portable stand/desk/storage that a friend will fab for me.
Regards,
-LN :-)

mkane
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by mkane »

nice

Vince_in_Montreal

#10: Post by Vince_in_Montreal »

littlenut wrote:Finished the upgrade and did a functionality test just heating everything up to ~130-140°C. Worked fine. Below is a shot of the set-up. Now to get back to agreeing on a layout for a portable stand/desk/storage that a friend will fab for me.image
Regards,
-LN :-)
That is sweet. So the Fan box is only used for cooling now? Does the Cyclone have variable adjustments? If that's the case back to back roasts will go a lot smoother and quicker now