Cyclone Chaff Collector and Fan Setup -Huky 500 - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Rickpatbrown (original poster)

#11: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) »

SJM wrote:I found this old picture from February 2015

The cyclone itself was a beauty. The instability of the whole tower was terrifying. And the connectors were....melty.

Since I only roasted one batch per session, cleaning out the chaff was not an onerous job, so I went back to the original right-side-up plan after a while.
Is this a Oneida product? I think they call then Dust deputy. I would think that something a little smaller would be workable. They are pretty pricey, though. I wouldn't want to pay more than $50 for a solution.

SJM

#12: Post by SJM »

Nope this one wasn't Oneida.

Chert

#13: Post by Chert »

Rickpatbrown wrote:
I would prefer a aesethically pleasing solution, though. This will be set up in our kitchen and people will have to look at it everyday :lol:
I suggest you rethink that plan. Unless you have a truly spacious kitchen with currently unused space, the little huky will bark up a mess in there.
LMWDP #198

Capuchin Monk

#14: Post by Capuchin Monk »

This is the one I've been using for a while. It collects chaff very well. The cyclone collector is "turbo charged" version of the other "plastic" one posted already.

I bought it from eBay and spray painted the inside with car exhaust pipe coating paint which is rated up to 2000 dF. Does it insulate well? Maybe. I haven't noticed any deformation after many use and it's set up about 8 inches from roaster exhaust.

Collector is a stainless steel container (bought two, one for this and one for coffee beans) and the cover was cut with hole saw, sealed with foam gasket then secured with bolts that came with the cyclone collector.

#15: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) replying to Capuchin Monk »

Yes! This is exactly what I'm looking for. Do you have a picture of it attached to the roaster?

So this was a plastic version that you coated the inside with a high temp paint? I wish they made this size in all metal.

Does it collect all of the chaff? Or at least 95%

Marcelnl

#16: Post by Marcelnl »

and are you using the HUky standard fan with this cyclone or for your heat gun setup, air flow is essential for correct function of a cyclone? I'm also looking for a cyclone as emptying that filter in between is a pain and it soils real good with chaff...
LMWDP #483

Capuchin Monk

#17: Post by Capuchin Monk »

I use Kaldi New Wide roaster which is similar to Huky in size. My chaff collector is connected to roaster with silicone hose which is from automotive air intake connector market. I'll post a picture of it in a few days (my next roasting). It collects chaff really well, about 99%. It would very depending on the CFM of exhaust vent.

edtbjon

#18: Post by edtbjon »

The things with the cyclone is quite obvious. Chaff collection which doesn't mess with the airflow and all that, which is why I've gone that route. I have gone through the whole thing of trying the original Huky fan upside down with the "dogbowl" on top, to trying to replace that with a suitable fan, which wasn't as top-heavy, with the "same" capacity (read CF/M), which didn't work at all, much because they were much too strong. (Comparing by CF/M doesn't tell the whole story. A small 100 - 120 mm centrifugal fan is much more effective than the Huky fan, which is rated at double the capacity...)
I ended up with using much smaller fans, 12V or 24V DC, PWM controlled and trying to control the fan via Artisan. The TC4 seemed handy, but I didn't manage to make it work properly... (too much noise, can be becuase of me building my own boards...). I will have a go with the new Phidgets available now.
The size of the proposed cyclone is good, I have used a similar sized plastic one for a couple of years. The thing with using a plastic one is of course worrying about temperature, but using a 1 meter aluminium hose in between the roaster and the cyclone really cools things down when the exhausts enters the cyclone. (I made some measurements with the old standard setup, and it turned out that the temperature just below the sieve of the standard setup was below 70C.) But for the record, I just ordered the aluminium cyclone mentioned earlier in this thread. 8)

#19: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) »

Marcelnl wrote:and are you using the HUky standard fan with this cyclone or for your heat gun setup, air flow is essential for correct function of a cyclone? I'm also looking for a cyclone as emptying that filter in between is a pain and it soils real good with chaff...
I have not picked up the Huky, yet. I will get in in January when I go to Taiwan. I'm just anticipating something that looks like an issue.

edtbjon wrote: (Comparing by CF/M doesn't tell the whole story. A small 100 - 120 mm centrifugal fan is much more effective than the Huky fan, which is rated at double the capacity...)
Can you speak more on this? How does CFM not tell the whole story? I realize that a smaller fan spinning faster is different, but doesn't it all connect to the Huky, which is a constant volume?

edtbjon wrote: But for the record, I just ordered the aluminium cyclone mentioned earlier in this thread. 8)
You are referring to the tiny 19cm one that was in post #1?? I'd love to see this is action!

Thanks for your insight.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by hankua »

Andrew's setup is the most logical or economical so far for the Huky. Cyclone inlet and outlet size could be major issue if it's too small. The machines where the exhaust fan sits on top of the chaff collector is a common one. The exhaust fan in between the roaster and chaff collector needs to a heat resistant model (special order) and even better if it has a backwards style impeller. A DC version with an optional speed control board/knob can be ordered from Cam York in Taiwan. Most of the Taiwanese roaster builders use Cam York fans in their machines both DC variable and fixed speed heat resistant models. CY is set up for wholesale sales, not retail although it's possible to get a single fan if in Taiwan; they charge too much for intl shipping/handling. Not sure if going this route is worth all the trouble and expense, if the first methods works well (inverted dog bowl Huky fan)

(Smallest 24v DC variable speed CY fan)

The original Huky has a single fan sitting in front of the machine doing both exhaust and bean cooling functions. Just guessing simplicity was part of the design process and got way more complicated along the way. Mr. Li could very well build a beautiful chaff collector Huky if he wanted to or could be convinced.

In Rick's case he could order a second T-Pipe for a chaff collector mod.