Cultivating sweetness with a Behmor roaster - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
jakubx80

#11: Post by jakubx80 »

ira wrote:Currently it's probably around the most highly hacked Behmor in the word
Hold my beer, lol
Behmor RoR Artisan Mod and airflow control - with pictures

I started playing with this setup quite a bit before swapping to Huky. I also tried heaters control but realized that airflow is my friend. Early start of air, around 200F and steady increases in airflow helped me better control temperatures and eliminate the smoky taste of the beans.
I can't provide a recipe here for the sweetness, because I never got to anything close I already got with Huky but what I'm advocating is that you can't manage what you can't measure and control.

I'm seeing a bunch of methods listed here and elsewhere where people found a way around Behmor's clunky controls to make it work. I'd recommend to do a proper BT measurement mod and airflow management mod and start from here.

jakubx80

#12: Post by jakubx80 »

quality8453 wrote: I agree, there is a lot of heat left in the machine, even with a strong fan blowing right on the drum. However I'm a little skeptical that a colander and a shop vac moves more air than the fan I am using. I put the Behmor in cooling mode, pull the chaff tray, and fire up the fan, as you can see:

I think this is better than nothing but I can guarantee that a vacuum works much better but not on a colander. The reason for that is that you've a lot of heat capacity within metal drum itself that is in contact with the beans. And of course the Behmor itself as noted.
Then, you're actually pushing air into an fairly closed box. Meaning the air is packed and only the excess escapes letting new, cold air reach the beans. You've also most likely hot pockets inside where hot air is trapped. These are of course not definitive statements, more qualitative.

When you spread the bean in a tray and pull air through it, all the beans see cold air. Only if beans are layered thick, which you don't want, the temperature around those will increase slightly, but not much.

This is my $32 setup and cools 200g beans in roughly 30 seconds.

ira
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by ira »

I did say probably, because I knew there were others. I never considered air flow as something I could even look at so I never went there. I do notice he's also using a Huky so my point about moving on, still applies.

Ira

yakster
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by yakster »

mckolit wrote:I would suggest cooling the beans by dumping them out. There's still a bunch of heat in the machine during the cooling cycle even with fans blowing into it. I went with the shopcav ban cooler. https://ineedcoffee.com/cooling-your-coffee-beans/ With this setup, I can at least cool the beans quickly and get more consistent results, at least with the cooling process.
I agree with this advice. I had a thermocouple inside my Behmor (more of an ET probe) and the roaster retains a lot of heat. The Behmor does a lot of cooling in the first minute or 90 seconds of the cooling cycle, but after that the retained heat of the roasting chamber slows down the cooling and you'd be better off dumping the coffee in an external been cooler.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by Brewzologist »

+1 on dumping the beans to cool them. I liked my home-made bean cooler from the Behmor so much that I still use it with my Huky.

Rickpatbrown

#16: Post by Rickpatbrown »

Here's a link to a Royal Coffer seminar from this spring. I remember one of them using the Behmor and was really surprised about his profiles. They were in the neighborhood of 15 minutes total roast time. I even asked about this, saying that in my experience, roasts longer than 11-12 minutes seem to lose a lit of flavor. I used the word "baked" and it seemed to elicit some emotional response from some of then, lol.

He insisted that coffee tasted best at longer times in his Behmor. He mentioned that these roasts cupped comparably to pro roasted beans. Maybe you can get something out of this seminar.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by yakster »

My experience with the Behmor is that it takes a bit to ramp up in temp and that time doesn't seem to detract from the flavor so the extra minutes spent on the front end don't seem to ruin the roast.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by yakster »

Looks like Sweet Maria's just posted some tips on pre-heating.

https://library.sweetmarias.com/what-yo ... e-roaster/
-Chris

LMWDP # 272