Crown Jewel Roasting thread -Ecuador Pichincha Galo Morales Natural Typica & Sidra - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Chert

#11: Post by Chert »

Thanks Rick for distributing this one - it's really nice. I'm drinking a V60 of this sample roast and enjoying. My roast also falls off fast if this RoR curve is worth anything.

I too don't get over the top sweetness intensity and the wush-wush anaerobic whaff is just enough. Day 5 post roast I am getting some red fruit, some boozy ferment as it cools. I will brew it every few days and see how it goes with rest. A natural Ecuador Royal Crown jewel in the hand is worth 29 Yemeni auction lots in the bush. And I still have enough for one or two normal batch size roasts.

LMWDP #198

Mbb

#12: Post by Mbb »

Rickpatbrown wrote:
I prefer things that are a bit more elegant and not so cartoonish. I started out being drawn to naturals since they were so different from the coffee I drank before taking the Home Barista red pill. I guess now, I like a clean cup with well balanced highlights. A nice blueberry bomb is still welcomed, but I like clarity.
As i like to say....different and interesting...
are not the same thing as "good". Is coffee supposed to taste like flowers? Pipe tobacco? Wine? Green apples?

Do most people want their coffee to taste like things like that?

The answer is simply a resounding no.

It's nothing but things that a cofee hobbyist would explore out of curiosity, and to be able to say they had.

I used to know a guy that smoked a pipe. He subscribe to magazines like pipe smokers quarterly. He ordered different tobaccos from around the world. Making his pipe was a ritual and involved a small kit of expensive items. His pipe was kept in a small handmade case made by some hippie artisan. He wanted you to ask him about his pipe and all his implements surrounding it, and if you didn't ask you would tell you anyway.

It's the exact same thing with coffee. Make people believe they're part of an elite small group and you can sell them anything. Even rotten coffee beans..... Or beans that an animal ate and crapped out...... Or that smell and taste like a bowl of potpourri.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by mkane »

Sounds like any obsessive hobby.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#14: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Mbb wrote:As i like to say....different and interesting...
are not the same thing as "good". Is coffee supposed to taste like flowers? Pipe tobacco? Wine? Green apples?

Do most people want their coffee to taste like things like that?

The answer is simply a resounding no.

It's nothing but things that a cofee hobbyist would explore out of curiosity, and to be able to say they had.

Hmm. ? The only thing that really matters is what an individual likes and making judgments about all individuals seems a little broad don't you think?

In my household one of the favorite things to do is to blend an anaerobic coffee with something like the one being discussed here. Is there anything wrong with that?
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Milligan

#15: Post by Milligan »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote: Hmm. ? The only thing that really matters is what an individual likes and making judgments about all individuals seems a little broad don't you think?

In my household one of the favorite things to do is to blend an anaerobic coffee with something like the one being discussed here. Is there anything wrong with that?
I tend to agree. I find this hobby is more about experiences than drinking the same flavor profile all the time or trying to iterate 1% better out of what's been had before. It is fun to see what producers cook up even if it won't rise to the level of being a staple coffee. I've had some impactful fruit bomb shots that are a highlight in the hobby but I certainly wouldn't want them everyday. I feel like Mbb has tread this ground before in other threads. We know he doesn't like anything but washed and that is fine. I tend to enjoy a wider variety and that is fine as well.