Cormorant vs Chinese roaster - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
georgemvg (original poster)

#41: Post by georgemvg (original poster) »

I can see that most gauges are up to 10kpa. Am I wrong?

pwest

#42: Post by pwest »

I use one of these pressure sensors https://store.ncd.io/product/ams5812-00 ... re-sensor/ on my Cormorant and it seems to work well. It did require addition of a 'T' between the existing pressure gauge and the burner.

-Phil

#43: Post by georgemvg (original poster) replying to pwest »

Yeah nice range, but how you connect it with artisan. Don't think you can do it with phidgets.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#44: Post by Brewzologist »

georgemvg wrote: Yeah nice range, but how you connect it with artisan. Don't think you can do it with phidgets.
A number of us are using Phidget pressure sensors to measure airflow which then feeds into Artisan. Have a search on the "1136" Phidget in the Roasting forum for examples. It should be possible to do what Phil did to measure gas pressure with a Phidget too.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#45: Post by Milligan replying to Brewzologist »

The problem that you run into is that the phidgets are not rated for combustible gases. The connection to that phidget is via a flexible rubber tube or something similar which is not rated for pressurized, combustible gases. I wouldn't be as concerned if the phidget could be housed in the burner chamber but it gets far too hot in there for a phidget. The only option is to run a rubber/flexible tube from the pressurized gas line to the phidget somewhere outside the burn chamber. This IMO is unsafe. The reason for suggesting the more expensive Dwyer gauge is that it is rated for this application. There likely is a cheaper alternative that would be gas rated and safer that I haven't run across.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#46: Post by Brewzologist »

I fully agree with you and would not use the phidget for that application myself. Was just responding it was possible to do in the same way Phil did with the other sensor on his roaster.

pwest

#47: Post by pwest »

For my install, I cut the 3/16 flexible copper tube between the analog gauge and the burner, soldered in a T with a short section of flexible copper tubing that runs to the outside of the Cormorant where it is terminated it with a brass hose barb. From there, it connects to a flexible silicone tube to my little wireless Modbus server w/the pressure sensor and the thermocouple input board.

I think the "1136" Phidget looks great except for its pressure range is too low. Fortunately, they also have a model 1137 that should be perfect!

-Phil

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#48: Post by Milligan »

Pwest, that is a very nice way to install it. Seeing as the Cormorant uses a maximum of around 50mbar (around.7psi) during normal use then I would feel plenty safe doing it that way. I'd likely add (you may already have done this, just didn't mention it) either a crimp clamp or similar to the barb connections in case they get tugged or caught on something. I believe Johan nestles the phidgets along the chassis rails near the front/middle when ordered directly from him. Very nice! But still worth mentioning the phidgets aren't internally rated for combustion gases, so this is against the spec of the unit. Sorry to sound like a broken record just want to be very clear for folks in the future of some risks to personally assess.

FWIW, I would feel okay to do what pwest did on my personal roaster.

#49: Post by georgemvg (original poster) »

My problem is not how to connect the pressure sensor with the gas line, but how to connect a second party sensor with the phidgets and then artisan.

Like this that Phil sent

https://store.ncd.io/product/ams5812-00 ... re-sensor/

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#50: Post by Brewzologist »

georgemvg wrote: My problem is not how to connect the pressure sensor with the gas line, but how to connect a second party sensor with the phidgets and then artisan.

Like this that Phil sent
https://store.ncd.io/product/ams5812-00 ... re-sensor/
I believe the suggestion is that if you already have Phidgets, to use the Phidget 1137 pressure sensor instead of the 3rd party sensor Phil posted because it does the same thing and can then be easily configured in Artisan. (See embedded doc here for example of configuring the similar 1136 sensor: https://www.carefreebuzzbuzz.com/Learni ... r-upgrades)

If you are asking more generally about using 3rd party sensors, that will depend on the sensor and its software support. I use both Phidgets and 3rd party sensors/controllers managed by an Arduino, but the latter required more work. For an example of this with 3rd party gas pressure measurement see here: What pressure sensors are you using to gather digital gas pressure data?