Cormorant Revisited - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Paolo

#11: Post by Paolo »

I am really wondering how essential it is to use software with this roaster. (When Johan roasts in his clips he does not use Artisan...but makes adjustments to gas, fans intuitively).

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by JohnB. »

Pretty much everyone is roasting manually unless they convert the gas/fan controls. All my roasts are manual, I don't use artisan, ect. Just finished a 430g espresso roast of a nice Colombian Crown Jewel from Royal Coffee. I have 2mm thermocouples installed for BT & ET & I monitor temps with a Fluke temp meter. I don't use the stock analog gauge info as it lags WAY behind the digital probes.
LMWDP 267

Paolo

#13: Post by Paolo »

JohnB. wrote:Pretty much everyone is roasting manually unless they convert the gas/fan controls. All my roasts are manual, I don't use artisan, ect. Just finished a 430g espresso roast of a nice Colombian Crown Jewel from Royal Coffee. I have 2mm thermocouples installed for BT & ET & I monitor temps with a Fluke temp meter. I don't use the stock analog gauge info as it lags WAY behind the digital probes.
Do you just alter the gas flow to achieve a desired rate of rise per minute for the duration of the roast? Or is there more involved than this?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by JohnB. replying to Paolo »

Charge temp, gas flow & fan speed. Still figuring things out as this is my first gas roaster & I've only done 12 roasts with it so far. Fan speed is critical to getting a good ROR coming out of the drying period. Had the fan speed too low in my early roasts & even with full gas flow I wasn't seeing the ROR I wanted. Once I started playing with the fan speed more during one of my roasts I was able to see where it needed to be to get the ROR going early in the roast so the roast got to 1C in a reasonable amount of time & where I wanted it set approaching 1C to slow things down to get the development time I want for that roast.
LMWDP 267

Paolo

#15: Post by Paolo »

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

thusband

#16: Post by thusband »

Sorry, I'm a bit late coming in on this. I just added my name to the wait list for a March delivery. I've been using a Huky for about five years. Do the Cormorant thermocouples connect to a laptop through a Phidget 1048 like the Huky thermocouples?

Chert

#17: Post by Chert replying to thusband »

You get a nice looking machine, slightly greater batch size.

I thought this image from the Cormorant pages clever:

LMWDP #198

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by JohnB. »

thusband wrote:Sorry, I'm a bit late coming in on this. I just added my name to the wait list for a March delivery. I've been using a Huky for about five years. Do the Cormorant thermocouples connect to a laptop through a Phidget 1048 like the Huky thermocouples?
They probably would but I'd suggest skipping the optional 5mm-6mm T/Cs that Johan supplies & pick up a pair of 2mm or 3mm thermocouples. Here in the U.S. many of us bought these: https://millcityroasters.com/product-ca ... es-gauges/

Johan's digital BT probe location works well but for ET you will want to drill the lower bean chute mounting bolt & install a 75mm probe as I described in my post on the Facebook Cormorant Group forum.
LMWDP 267

thusband

#19: Post by thusband »

Thanks! You mention a 2 or 3mm probe from Mill City. Is that correct? Maybe the 75mm? I wonder if I could get Johan to drill that out? Also I can't seem to find the that Cormorant Facebook Group. Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks again.

thusband

#20: Post by thusband »

Chert wrote:You get a nice looking machine, slightly greater batch size.

I thought this image from the Cormorant pages clever:

<image>
Thanks, That's a real beauty. The powder coating is stunning.