Cormorant help

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Tonito

#1: Post by Tonito »

Hi Coffee Family,
I am thinking of installing a digital meter for ET to use in parallel with the one on the Cormorant cr600 because it would be a lot easier for me (a "half blind") to read. It would have to utilize the appropriate type thermocouple. I don't mind a separate meter sitting on the side. Any suggestions especially from cormorant owners?
Thanks
Tonito

sosha
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by sosha »

I gather you're not using Artisan, and roasting with your senses, correct? Why not keep it simple, and get a hand-help magnifier to read the little gauge?

BTW....I feel your pain about the little numbers.... :D
LMWDP #440

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#3: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

The easiest meter to use is Phidgets assuming you are going to use Artisan. If you just want to see the readings on the Cormorant then the prior suggestion of a magnifying glass is probably best.

You have to decide what type of probe, TC or RTDs (preferred my many here), and how they will be mounted and what size to get in terms of diameter and length.

Do you already have holes in the Cormorant for installation of probes?

Give us some more information and help will be on the way.

You can also look at this thread

Cormorant BT and ET Probes
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Tonito (original poster)

#4: Post by Tonito (original poster) »

Thanks for your idea Sosha A magnifier is the most simple.Great idea.
I am not going to use Artisan after all, I prefer to learn manually.
I have this brand new Cormoranf (latest version ) just two weeks old,I just got it out of the box and have it in my study and have not used it, just admiring the workmanship and beauty.
Actually I am considering selling it before roasting on it. I believe I can easily get what I paid for it .iam thinking about getting a roaster that can roast a kilo at a time.
Cheers to all.

fidelfs

#5: Post by fidelfs »

I got mine yesterday, and I am planning to fire it up this evening or tomorrow.

The Cormorant is a manual roaster. Even with the phidgets, it continues as a manual roaster. The thermocouples/thermometers read what happens to the roaster. It gives feedback about the temperature, but you cannot control it at all.

The 1 KG roaster gives you more quantity, but the cormorant can handle smaller batches when developing a profile.

Also, how much 1 Kilo roasted coffee can you consume at once. You will roast and then wait until that is gone and roast again. Too spaced out, in my opinion.

I will try to create a little manual in PDF and post it here to set up the Cormorant. You can use it later for yours.

I believe the cormorant has pre-drilled the holes, so it is a matter of just installing the thermocouples and phidgets. I ordered mine with everything pre-installed so that I might be wrong about the holes.
LMWDP #576

azfurniss
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by azfurniss »

Tonito wrote:Thanks for your idea Sosha A magnifier is the most simple.Great idea.
I am not going to use Artisan after all, I prefer to learn manually.
I have this brand new Cormoranf (latest version ) just two weeks old,I just got it out of the box and have it in my study and have not used it, just admiring the workmanship and beauty.
Actually I am considering selling it before roasting on it. I believe I can easily get what I paid for it .iam thinking about getting a roaster that can roast a kilo at a time.
Cheers to all.
Hi Tony,
If you decide to sell, I'm interested. Just send me a PM. Otherwise, happy roasting!

Tonito (original poster)

#7: Post by Tonito (original poster) »

HI Azfurniss
My heart just missed two beats. You know, I just shipped it back to Johan last week. He has not picked it up yet.I will contact him right away and ask him to let you have it. You can mail him as well.
Tonito

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. » replying to Tonito »

If you returned the roaster to Johan I would think it would go to the next person on his waiting list.
LMWDP 267

azfurniss
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by azfurniss » replying to JohnB. »

Yeah, I fully understand if this is the case, but I won't turn down the chance to buy it if Johan offers. Time to wait and see...

Tonito (original poster)

#10: Post by Tonito (original poster) »

Hi Azfurness
Johan mailed me and acknowledges that you should contact him about getting the roaster i returned ,so contact him before it slips away,and go from there. He seems to be a very decent and honest and businessman.Good luck.