Controlling a Cormorant Roaster with Artisan - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#31: Post by LBIespresso »

BoulderMike wrote:One quick follow up question: I believe for the automation from this thread you are able to control the Cormorant from Artisan. If I don't do this, when I make adjustments manually on the Cormorant do I need to then manually type stuff into Artisan to let it know what I did? If so, is this necessary, or just a nice thing to do? If the latter, would you mind letting me know the benefits of manually entering the changes in the Cormorant to Artisan? Thanks again for your kindness.
If you go the thermocouple route instead of the RTD route I can share my Artisan setup file and you will have my button layout which you can customize yourself. Might be easier than starting from scratch. Just let me know. I would be happy to walk you through changing it to suit your preferences.
LMWDP #580

BoulderMike

#32: Post by BoulderMike replying to LBIespresso »

Thanks, I do appreciate your offer. From my research to date it seems most people are recommening th RTD route. So, I guess I am going to go that way and hope I can get it done right. As to my preferences; coming from a FreshRoast I think I am starting from no preference until I get the hand of the Cormorant. Anyway, I do appreciate your offer. And if you do know a bit more of pros and cons of RTD vs. thermocouple, I am open for sure to change my mind.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#33: Post by LBIespresso »

Actually, if I were starting fresh, I would go with RTD. I'm not sure it would improve things enough for me to switch though. Like you, I could be convinced otherwise.
LMWDP #580

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#34: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

BoulderMike wrote: And if you do know a bit more of pros and cons of RTD vs. thermocouple, I am open for sure to change my mind.

Less noise, but sufficiently fast for coffee roasting. Some of the Artisan research for more details.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

BoulderMike

#35: Post by BoulderMike »

I have pretty much made up my mind that I am going to purchase the RTD kit and setup and configure after receiving the Cormorant.

ronncat (original poster)

#36: Post by ronncat (original poster) »

I've been using my modified Cormorant for the past month or so, but I keep thinking about the issues with the brushless computer fan control using the Phidgets motor controller. I scoured the internet looking for some solution that would provide a variable voltage output when presented with a digital or analogue signal. There were a few mentions on some of the electronics forums... sadly way over my head.

So... I did the next best thing. Threw a bunch of $$$ at the problem in hopes of finding a solution. I figured the best way to use a brushed motor controller was with a brushed fan motor :D I started to investigate DC brushed fan blowers and finally stumbled upon bilge blowers! Looked up the CFM rating of the Cormorant's computer fans. They were something like 85 CFM, so I doubled that because of the two fans and ordered a couple of bilge blowers that exceeded this total.

Ended up with an inline blower. and a squirrel cage type blower. First I tried attaching the squirrel cage blower to the end of the Cormorant duct hose, and then powered the fan with a lab DC supply. Worked great, but I wanted to integrate this into my roasting cart. Decide to use the inline blower as it is more compact and easily integrated into the cart. I bought a silicone 4" angle to attach to the roaster and then connected the other end to the inline blower. Removed the existing fans as well. I ordered a larger Phidget that can provide 25 amps to the motor. Then I bought a 30 amp 12V DC power supply to replace the Cormornat 7 amp one, I dialed the voltage to the max 14 Volts as per the roasters...

WORKS GREAT!!! I have not roasted yet (will tomorrow) but the fan can run anywhere from a whisper to a tornado!!! Much more air movement than the OEM setup. I have set it up in Artisan as Event buttons and have the max velocity of the fan at about 0.2 out of 1.0. I think this should replicate what the computer fans were doing. I may set up a fan slider as well to give me even more control.

If I had to do it over again, I would probably just use a 3" inline bilge fan that moves less air. Might have been able to keep my original Phidget DC motor controller as it would require less amperage to work. Then just use a 4" to 3" silicone angle to connect it to the roaster...

For now the angle and blower are temporarily mounted until I find the optimal position. They I will rewire and finalize.