Connecting Artisan to a Loring S7

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
calmwatersroaster

#1: Post by calmwatersroaster »

Hi all. We just got a Loring S7 and would like to connect our Artisan software to it since we've been using it and we'd like to see our ROR curve. Anyone have any knowledge on this? Thanks!

Almico

#2: Post by Almico »

I think you can display RoR on Loring software, but it is not checked by default.

https://loring.com/software/roast-architect/
Display your post-roast email logs as an easy-to-read graph. No spreadsheet wrangling required. Check boxes allow you to easily choose which attributes to display, including thermocouple readings, rate of rise (RoR), burner percentage, and crack events.

MaKoMo

#3: Post by MaKoMo »

You need to connect your PC/Mac via an Ethernet wire to the roaster. Your PC needs to be on the same subnetwork as the roaster. The roaster is usually on the subnet 192.168.1.x and the S7 has by default the IP address 192.168.1.69.

Configure your PC/Mac for a manual/static IP address. on that subnet (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) with an IP address different to the one of the S7 (e.g. 192.168.1.101).

Start the roaster and Artisan and choose menu
Config >> Machine >> Loring S
and press ON. You should see the readings for the machine displayed in the Artisan LCDs

calmwatersroaster (original poster)

#4: Post by calmwatersroaster (original poster) »

Thank you, I'll give it a try!

#5: Post by calmwatersroaster (original poster) »

Almico, do you know if I can see the ROR live while I'm roasting if I change the setting, or just in the post roast emails?

archipelago

#6: Post by archipelago »

You cannot see the ROR curve while roasting. The display will show you the ROR number (60s) as an integer but it's not terribly useful.

You can connect wirelessly to the roaster, too, in Artisan provided you've wired your roaster to a router that has sharing enabled on the local network.

#7: Post by calmwatersroaster (original poster) »

MaKoMo, are you saying that I need to first connect my roaster to the internet?

Almico

#8: Post by Almico »

calmwatersroaster wrote:Almico, do you know if I can see the ROR live while I'm roasting if I change the setting, or just in the post roast emails?
I do not. However I can't imagine what use it would serve seeing it afterwards? Kind of like being blind to BT during a roast and then getting after you hit drop. If you're getting BT, RoR is just a calculation from that.

#9: Post by calmwatersroaster (original poster) »

One more thing. Once I attempted to configure, I set my machine to the S7 on Artisan and started the program and all I got was the bottom half of the number zero on all my read outs.

MaKoMo

#10: Post by MaKoMo replying to calmwatersroaster »

Those symbols indicate that no valid data was received. Most likely because the messages Artisan is sending to the machine, asking for data, are not received by the machine. Those messages are send via network as IP packages. If your PC is not on the same IP network and not configured such that it can communicate with your roaster, those packages cannot be delivered. Did you follow my advice and setup your PC to use a static IP address on the network of the roasting machine? Did you give the correct IP address of the machine once Artisan asked for it?