Configuring Artisan PID - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
slickrock

#11: Post by slickrock »

MaKoMo wrote:Remove anything in the y1(x) and y2(x) fields and it should work as expected.
Marko
Confirmed, it works great now.
Also, I was able to confirm my assumptions on how lookahead works, as described in my previous post, now that I can plot out SV from the TC4.

Many thanks.

Example: SV in purple, background BT in faded blue; Lookahead set to 30 seconds delay for demo purposes with burner off, PID on in background tracking mode:

07/11/1991, 08/21/2017, 04/08/2024, 08/12/2045

MaKoMo

#12: Post by MaKoMo »

Thanks for confirming that this works now for you.
slickrock wrote:On an unrelated note, for version 0.9, I noticed that there are Filter settings edit boxes for each of the 4 T probes for the TC4 device setup. What is the purposed of this?
The aArtisan firmware does some filtering/averaging of the data it samples at a high speed from the probes. This filter can be configured in user.h from 0-100% (10% being the default). Those defaults are reasonable for most probes, however, in my Hottop I have quite sensitive probes that produces a lot of noise. So I pushed those filters to 70% on ET and BT before compiling the firmware for my TC4 and was rewarded with quite some smooth curves (and especially RoR curves). However, I had to do that on each firmware update (quite some as I did some testing of new versions).

So I asked JimG (the author of aArtisan), if it would be possible to set those filters via a serial command on connect of Artisan to the TC4 and he added that in the latest trunk version.

The just released (but not yet announced) version 0.9 of Artisan adds a configuration UI for those filters (one per channel) and sends out this command on connect. I couldn't test this deeply yet, but my impression from a quick test was that the filter settings on Artisan side do not really influence the filtering on the TC4. Might be that there is still a bug somewhere that breaks this, or it just works and I did not see it on my quick check.

greencardigan

#13: Post by greencardigan »

Hi Marko and slickrock,

I've updated aArtisanQ_PID to match the PID commands in the latest aArtisan but am having similar issues to slickrock getting the heater, fan and SV to plot in Artisan 0.9.2. I have the same issue when running the latest version of aArtisan.

I've tried various combination of Extra Devices with no luck. I want ET, BT, Heater%, Fan%, SV and ambient logged.

See the attached images showing my setup and resultant outputs. Also attached an image showing the serial log I'm getting. It seems that all the right parameters are being received but Artisan isn't using them correctly?

PID OFF - Ambient temp is displayed correctly

PID ON - Ambient temp, ET and BT displayed correctly

Serial log with PID on

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Regards,
Brad

greencardigan

#14: Post by greencardigan »

I've played some more and I found if I add arduinoTC4_34 then everything seems to work correctly.

Can I use ArduinoTC4_56 and ArduinoTC4_78 without using ArduinoTC4_34?

slickrock

#15: Post by slickrock »

Brad, its' been awhile since I played with the device config, but I recall the trick was to enter all the ArduinoTC4 devices if you intend to use the full spectrum of measurements (i.e. all the way to SV and Ambient) , including the ones you don't intend to use (for those, just uncheck the entries you don't use). I've provided a snapshot above where #3 and #4 devices are currently not used (there was a time where I was using #3 for an alternate BT probe measurement, but its now disabled).

Good luck.

greencardigan

#16: Post by greencardigan »

Thanks for the confirmation.

Are you using greater than 1 second read interval? I believe it takes the TC4 longer than 1 second to take a reading on all four channels.

slickrock

#17: Post by slickrock »

I'm using 1.0 second interval without issues. Were you able to get all your readings going?

greencardigan

#18: Post by greencardigan »

Yep, I can get all readings now that I added channels 3 and 4.

When I have all 4 channels active, I get every second reading on some channels (maybe just the first channel) the same as the previous reading. Reading each channel on the TC4 takes approximately 300ms so 4 channels takes over 1 second and Artisan.