Colombia Fermented Gesha

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Boldjava
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Boldjava »

Crown Jewel Colombia Circasia Edwin Noreña Double Carbonic Galaxy Hops Mossto Fermented Honey Gesha

I worked several days this week so I roasted in the nick of time, just before our Minnesota Cupping Group gathered. 1-hr rest.

Didn't matter. They were all hogs on the trough with it (Midwestern imagery). Universal hit. Meyers lemon, vanilla, and double-ginger. Very sweet - white sugar. I am awaiting the lavender. I noticed a rose. Cupping so soon after the roast doesn't do it justice. I will tackle it again at 7-days, my preferred rest with Geshas.

One cupper, Curly, noted that the particular hops they used is the hop that is preferred in brewing tropical IPAs, the mangos, the papaya, etc. He should know. Midwest beer judge in addition to being at this trough. We talked a long time about this particular coffee, what anaerobic is, what carbonic is, fermentation, etc. That led to a whole discussion which Tim provided on food fermentation -- peppers, his pepper sauces, his fermented pepper process, cabbage. We ended with Longbranch Whiskey, Elijah Craig Bourbon, and local craft beers. Wish you could have been here.

Note to roasters: careful, silent 1st crack. I got 3 pops -- that's all.

https://royalcoffee.com/product/3427097000017084022/
-----
LMWDP #339

mkane
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mkane »

I'm on the Wagon.

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

Our roasters found the coffee benefited from an extended Maillard phase and low rate of rise at first crack, and caution it may tend to take off during development.
I hope the coffee is riper and sweeter than these baking instructions indicate.
Jim Schulman

Chert

#4: Post by Chert »

Boldjava wrote:Crown Jewel Colombia Circasia Edwin Noreña Double Carbonic Galaxy Hops Mossto Fermented Honey Gesha
I will tackle it again at 7-days, my preferred rest with Geshas.

.../
You may be onto something.

I keep trying gesha cofees as they've become more common. I have a Buesaco Narino Colombia Los Angeles produced by Jose Ignacio Gomez Lopez 87 points. This 7 day post roast brew has more going for it than earlier efforts. It's sweet and I put it in that tasty bergamot, lemon, tangerine, toffee taste realm.

Cuppers said: "OverallMilk Chocolate , Balanced and clean, Mellow and smooth attributes, Mild citric tone,Raisin, Soft, Tea like, Tea-like Body
Aroma / FlavorCranberry , Dried Fruit , Jasmine , Peach , Tangerine , Vanilla , Almond, Apple, Black Currant, Black Tea, Bran, Citric Acid, Citrus Fruit, Complex, Congee, Ginger, Grapefruit, Green Tea, Guava, Lemon, Lime, Malt, Maple Syrup, Marmalade
AcidityCitric Acid , Citric, Complex, Lactic, Lemon & Lime, Malic Acid, Orange, Other Fruit, Pleasant lactic, Structure, Tartaric" - so I'm not too far off.
LMWDP #198

PBJ

#5: Post by PBJ »

I couldn't wait after the cupping at Boldjava's. My roast 2 days post roast, roasted to 1:35 after 1st crack. Mega jasmine (both aroma and flavor) with ginger peeking through, slight chocolate Medium body. I am going to try to leave it alone for another 5 days.
Spannungsbogen
Curly

Chert

#6: Post by Chert »

I'm drinking a Mexico Oaxacafinca Sinai washed gesha roasted Nov 30.

Grounds fragrance was promising, the brewing aroma was chlorogenic suggesting my sample roast might have me in trouble, but the cup is very nice: aroma isnot chlorogenic butI don't get a strong impression of anything / not floral; hot cup watermelon, cooling to bakers chocolate, berry, maybe some peach, and nuanced sweetness but it's all very subtle. Worth the lunchtime tasting effort.

Cheers!
LMWDP #198

wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by wingnutsglory »

Boldjava wrote:Crown Jewel Colombia Circasia Edwin Noreña Double Carbonic Galaxy Hops Mossto Fermented Honey Gesha

I worked several days this week so I roasted in the nick of time, just before our Minnesota Cupping Group gathered. 1-hr rest.

Didn't matter. They were all hogs on the trough with it (Midwestern imagery). Universal hit. Meyers lemon, vanilla, and double-ginger. Very sweet - white sugar. I am awaiting the lavender. I noticed a rose. Cupping so soon after the roast doesn't do it justice. I will tackle it again at 7-days, my preferred rest with Geshas.

One cupper, Curly, noted that the particular hops they used is the hop that is preferred in brewing tropical IPAs, the mangos, the papaya, etc. He should know. Midwest beer judge in addition to being at this trough. We talked a long time about this particular coffee, what anaerobic is, what carbonic is, fermentation, etc. That led to a whole discussion which Tim provided on food fermentation -- peppers, his pepper sauces, his fermented pepper process, cabbage. We ended with Longbranch Whiskey, Elijah Craig Bourbon, and local craft beers. Wish you could have been here.

Note to roasters: careful, silent 1st crack. I got 3 pops -- that's all.

https://royalcoffee.com/product/3427097000017084022/
When did you stop the roast, Dave?

Boldjava (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Boldjava (original poster) replying to wingnutsglory »

1:45 into 2nd. Next one is going to be around 1:35, depending on the roast/color.
-----
LMWDP #339

mkane
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by mkane »

smokin'

another_jim
Team HB

#10: Post by another_jim »

Just got around to roasting it yesterday using my usual ten minute light/medium profile. The only modification is that I dropped the charge and used a lower ET (475F 245C).

Tried some singles today, and I'm very pleased. My first reaction was "Auslese," that is a German late harvest Riesling with a hint of botrytis, and a touch more sweetness than acidity. More precisely, a lovely acidity: mango, pineapple, apple, with a very clean background that I can't quite label, not really botrytis, more like a graham cracker cookie baked with honey. The aromatics are very nice, but don't expect a Geisha bomb.

In any case, I don't think jumping through the third wave hoops of doing an underdeveloped, Maillard heavy roast, then waiting two weeks for it to go stale, is the right approach to this coffee. Roast it straight (i.e. about 3 1/2 minutes in each roast phase), and enjoy it a day or two later.

BTW, thanks, Dave, for distributing this lot.
Jim Schulman