Coffee roasting machine - Help needed - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by Nunas »

warlock wrote:<snip> If I prefer more automation would you ever consider the Sandbox smart R2 (https://www.sandboxsmart.com/%e7%94%a2% ... n/?lang=en) Just like Ailio BULLET ROASTER R1 V2 its made in Taiwan and seems to be having some good features.
That's an interesting roaster, but I don't see it as being the same as the Aillio Bullet. I believe this roaster is heated by infrared, while the Bullet is heated by induction. The Sandbox appears to have a perforated drum, while the Bullet (I think) has a solid drum. The price of the Sandbox is certainly attractive, as it converts to less than 900 USD, which is way less than the Bullet.OTOH, the Bullet is a genuine 1Kg roaster, while the Sandbox is a half Kg. Incidentally, if you're sure you want automation, as opposed to simply monitoring of the roast and manual control, be sure to look closely at all the roasters we've suggested. Most of them are not automated, although for someone who is handy, many can be converted.

warlock (original poster)

#22: Post by warlock (original poster) »

Lwowiak wrote:As you are in NZ, and I am in Australia, may I offer you the same guidance that I have supplied to many other home roasters in Australia.
Finding a decent machine to roast 1kg is hard. Most of the branded roasters from Turkey and Europe start at $10k.
There are a couple of threads here that gave me guidance.

Basically Blue King and Wintop offer great gas and electric roasters with 1, 2 or 3kg capacity. They are well built and also imported by a couple of companies who then sell them as their own product, but at double the price. Both Blue King and wintop are reputable companies to deal with, and can be contacted via Alibaba. Wintop sell Blue King and Santoker units.

Landed into an Australian port, including freight, plus GST and import duties, these roasters cost between $4,000 to $5,000 AUD. The bullet starts at $5k. These roasters are easy to maintain and their are plenty of videos on the web. I know a few people who have gone down this path and they are very happy with their units.

Though a learning curve will be required, these roasters will yield a great result and offer many features that other roasters will not. they also have 500g models, but the 1kg unit is great value.
Cheers mate, thanks for sharing your experience. If its not too much of an ask, can you please share Links of the machines you mentioned. I am keen to read more about it.

I cant wait for the tasman bubble to open again, how is everything in Aus?

#23: Post by warlock (original poster) »

Lwowiak wrote:1kg BK roaster is about $3k USD. Freight is LCL and varies to which port it is sent to.

Regardless of price, any of these are a much better option a bullet if you seek a true 1kg capability.

contact the sales people, they are very helpful and will assist you with all of your enquiries.
Hey Mate, are you talking about this machine?
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 3ab2SlJ9OD

#24: Post by warlock (original poster) »

LBIespresso wrote:To echo John here, IF you can get your hands on a Cormorant, I believe it is a great first roaster. I say this as a Cormorant owner and it is my first machine as well. I had zero roasting experience when I ordered it. I took 1 in person 4 hour class at an SCAA facility and watched endless hours of Mill City videos. I was happy with my early results and continue to be happy with my progress.

I never considered myself super handy before I purchased my first espresso machine but since then I have gained comfort in taking things apart and putting them back together. Which I did have to do with my Cormorant but with Johan's (The manufacturer) eyes on my work through Skype.

It is a simple yet elegant machine that is very nimble. It is all I know but I recommend it without reservation.
Thanks mate, I'll try to collate all the matrial on this and give it some learning time before buying this. Just see, how compfortable I feel about this.

#25: Post by warlock (original poster) »

Hey Barista fam!

While I have most of you here, with some wonderful suggestions, may I go as far as to ask you all to recommend me some roasters that use electricity as source of energy and are semi-automatic or automatic in its operational nature?

Although most of the manual - gas powered machines are really attractive, I am keen to learn whats on the other side of the coin as well :)

Thanks again guys!

Lwowiak

#26: Post by Lwowiak »

warlock wrote:Hey Mate, are you talking about this machine?
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 3ab2SlJ9OD
That is the machine. If you search on Alibaba you will find a few sellers of this unit.
Wintop machinery also sell them and Santoker.
They are very well built and easy to obtain due to our location. Service would be easy.
I was surprised as to how many have found their way into Australia.

Lwowiak

#27: Post by Lwowiak »

warlock wrote:Cheers mate, thanks for sharing your experience. If its not too much of an ask, can you please share Links of the machines you mentioned. I am keen to read more about it.

I cant wait for the tasman bubble to open again, how is everything in Aus?
http://wintopmachinery.com/santoker-coffee-roasters/

https://lanjingmachine.en.alibaba.com/

I am in QLD, so things have been good, the weather is great, the coffee is tasty and the politicians are crazy, just like always.