Coffee Roasting-Best Practices- Scott Rao [Book] - Page 10

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#91: Post by baldheadracing »

bicktrav wrote:I've been confused about using exhaust temp as a cue to mark 1C. Is exhaust temp simply another way of saying external temp? Are the terms interchangeable? Since reading Best Practices, I've started monitoring ET RoR, and while there is typically a dip/spike before 1C, it is often minimal and sometimes not clear at all. The way Rao describes it in the book makes me feel like it should be more pronounced. Am I monitoring it wrong here?
I find it noticeable with washed coffees, and it doesn't really happen with the very few naturals that I've roasted. I'm about to find out if it happens with decaf :) .

I'm also going to guess - guess - that there is a certain amount of coffee needed to release enough of whatever it is that causes the dip. For example, I need to roast pretty much a full load (1kg in a roaster with a 1.2kg rated capacity) to get an obvious dip. With a half (500g) charge, the dip is a lot harder for me to see, and usually only in hindsight. With a smaller charge like 250g, I see nothing.

As for the probe confusion, I am referring to the location that often holds an analog thermometer; just past the airflow exit of the drum.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

yakster
Supporter ♡

#92: Post by yakster »

hannson wrote:cool!!!! I'd try it :)
Here's a discussion regarding a study on the effect of the time it takes to cool the coffee after a roast from 2010.

Cooling the roast and sweetness
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
EarlyStarts

#93: Post by EarlyStarts »

bicktrav wrote:I've been confused about using exhaust temp as a cue to mark 1C. Is exhaust temp simply another way of saying external temp? Are the terms interchangeable? Since reading Best Practices, I've started monitoring ET RoR, and while there is typically a dip/spike before 1C, it is often minimal and sometimes not clear at all. The way Rao describes it in the book makes me feel like it should be more pronounced. Am I monitoring it wrong here?

My guess is that Scott would mark first crack around the 8.5 minute mark on both your roasts where the delta ET dips and BT is around 375 F but I agree that it is not super obvious to me either. Might be related - he says, "I often advise clients to avoid lowering the gas in the window of time from 45 seconds before to 45 seconds after the beginning of FC" and you are making gas adjustments in that time so that might be masking dip/spike? Or perhaps none of this applies on the Huky?
More info here for reference:
https://www.scottrao.com/blog/2018/11/2 ... rack-began

hannson

#94: Post by hannson »

yakster wrote:Here's a discussion regarding a study on the effect of the time it takes to cool the coffee after a roast from 2010.

Cooling the roast and sweetness
oh gosh. Thanks!!!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#95: Post by yakster »

I'm really enjoying reading the book, but it could be subtitled how the master the declining ROR. I'm looking forward to trying to put this to practice on my Bullet, I'm sure I can improve my roasts.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Iowa_Boy

#96: Post by Iowa_Boy »

Basic question: I haven't read this book or the Coffee Roasters Companion. Is this book a replacement and I should just get this, or are both helpful?

Marcelnl

#97: Post by Marcelnl »

That depends on what you already know about roasting, do you roast, own a roaster you probably know enough to stick with best practices.
LMWDP #483

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#98: Post by drgary »

I found that they are distinctively different books. To improve my roasting at this point I found Best Practices very helpful and concise.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

GC7

#99: Post by GC7 »

Thanks for bringing this back up.

I just ordered a copy. I didn't think it was really applicable in details using my old hottop that I considered underpowered and lacking thermal mass. My new Aillio Bullet is a different beast so I'm hoping it can improve my skills and instincts while roasting.